Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

First off I would like to say I really enjoy reading through all these forums. You guys really know your stuff.

This Saturday I will be shopping for my first Mosin!:) (after some parental convincing). This will be my first centerfire rifle and gun show purchase. I would like to know what I should look for and how I should "deal" with the seller. I want a basic rifle, Probably a 91/30 (but open to suggestions). I want one that I have to restore because I'm in to all that hands on stuff! Because of that historical value is not important to me and neither are matching numbers. I would also like to know what tools I am going to need to restore/repair it and how to "check it out" And my dad is worried about safety so I would like to know how to check that as well. I know my way around a gun and can handle most of the work myself.

All of your Mosin buying experience will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hey guys!

First off I would like to say I really enjoy reading through all these forums. You guys really know your stuff.

This Saturday I will be shopping for my first Mosin!:) (after some parental convincing). This will be my first centerfire rifle and gun show purchase. I would like to know what I should look for and how I should "deal" with the seller. I want a basic rifle, Probably a 91/30 (but open to suggestions). I want one that I have to restore because I'm in to all that hands on stuff! Because of that historical value is not important to me and neither are matching numbers. I would also like to know what tools I am going to need to restore/repair it and how to "check it out" And my dad is worried about safety so I would like to know how to check that as well. I know my way around a gun and can handle most of the work myself.

All of your Mosin buying experience will be greatly appreciated!
Check the metal and the bore to make sure they are in good condition. Use a bore light (or penlight) to check the bore. You should be able to see distict grooves all the way down. Check the muzzle to make sure it is uniform in appearance with no pitting. check the breach for signs of corrosion and heavy wear (lack of blueing). If you want a shooter make sure that the bolt and headstamp have the same serial number. Sometimes the serial number is electropenciled on the bolt when the bolt was replaced at the arsenal. This is ok.

You can get the tear-down and cleaning instructions (and some great tips and history) here:

Russian Mosin Nagant Page & Forums Main Page

Tools needed: Medium screwdriver.

The fun has just begun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts