close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New movie Dunkirk

Discussion in 'Veterans' started by mdj696, Jul 15, 2017.

1. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Dunkirk coming out looks like a good one. Had an uncle assigned to assist on evacuation but was not on board, out with appendectomy surgery in England. Lt. Lyon Blair, British fleet surgeon. Ship was sunk. Later was on HMS Manistee which was sunk south of Iceland by a German and Italian submarines. Captain of German sub son of Admiral Donetz. Age at death 34. Project 103 .jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    shop tom, BaserRonin, Bvhawk and 4 others like this.
  2. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

If it's anywhere near the real history, it'll be the bloodiest
    WW2 movie ever made. None of it will be gratuitous.
    Dunkirk was a giant clusterfubar of monstrous proportions.
    The Brits learned from their mistake, though...

Rocky7 likes this.

3. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I mispelled movie. left out the i in movie. Wish I could correct it. HMS Manistee sunk 23 Feb 1941.

4. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Click on thread tools and you can edit it.

mdj696 likes this.
  5. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

10-4 thanks. Thats big help, done.

6. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Enthusiast

I've seen a lot of positive reviews of the film. But the libs are whining about a lack of diversity in the cast. It was pointed out that the average British soldier of the time was, well, White; but that doesn't matter to them.

7. I will see it !....................

8. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D when it comes out.

big shrek likes this.
  9. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie G&G Evangelist

That's all the review that I need, to want to see it!

10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Been waitin for this one for a long time. 3D should be great.

Bvhawk likes this.
  11. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Yes, they did. The next time they loaded their cannon with Canadians.

Dieppe.

shop tom, PAPA G, big shrek and 2 others like this.
  12. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Yep Hitler never should have stopped those panzers for the couple days. Heard Goering wanted a bigger piece of the pie and said let the Me-109s and Stukas finish em off.

big shrek and Rocky7 like this.
  13. I have the movie Dieppe, if that is how it happened, it was really messed up

14. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Canadians have been British cannon fodder from WWI (see Vimy Ridge assault...turned the tide of that war) to WW2.

Dieppe was: "Let's send in the Canadians to land on the coast of France with no naval support, no reinforcements and no air cover and see what happens." What happened was that a lot of Canadians died - again.

I'll watch the movie but I'm not a big fan of British generals.

PAPA G, big shrek and mauser9 like this.
  15. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Me too Rocky. Can't stand that pompous Montgomery. Always his way or the highway.

16. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The little corporal stopped the panzers for two reasons. First, they had outrun their supply line. The supply trucks needed to catch up and replenish them before they could continue. Second, as you noted, mauser9, Goering had assured Adolf that his Luftwaffe could cut the Allied line of retreat and force them to surrender, or alternatively annihilate them in place.

In the event, the Royal Air Force was able to maintain air superiority over the evacuation beaches long enough to allow the Royal Navy and civilian sailors to bring 338,000 soldiers out. They had to leave most of their equipment behind, but the RN got the squaddies and poilus out. At the same time this was going on, the RN managed to pull another 11,000 soldiers out of Cherbourg. But although the evacuation from the Continent was a masterpiece of improvisation and adaptation and overcame incredible odds to succeed in extracting 350,000 men to fight another day, there is still no way it can be called a victory. As Churchill said in Commons, "Wars are not won by evacuations."

And I completely agree about Bernard Law Montgomery His Own Dammed Self. There was no one in the British Army better at fighting a set-piece battle -- but World War II was a war of maneuver, and that was something he could not do at all well. Remember the scene in Patton, where his Chief of Staff, Freddy de Guigand, informed Bradley and the assembled army and corps commanders that "the General cannot do anything for some weeks, until we are reorganized"? Remember Monty's grandiose scheme to outflank the Germans in Holland so he could turn east along the north German plains to plunge into Germany (and though he most carefully did not say so, charge for Berlin, which if he managed to capture the place would completely eclipse the Americans and most particularly George S. Patton), aka "Operation Market Garden?" Everything about Operatuon Clusterf--ck depended on the Germans doing exactly what Montgomery expected them to; and when they didn't, that pompous British jackass could not cope. I think it was Patton himself who observed that Monty would have made a wonderful marshal for Napoleon -- and in the context Patton said it, that was not a compliment but rather a most profound insult.

After Montgomery tried to pin the blame for the failure of Operation Market Garden on inadequate support from the Americans, if I had been the Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, first, I would have called that clown on the carpet at my headquarters and ordered him to return to his command post to await further orders. Then I would have called Field Marshal Alan Brooke, Chief of the Imperial General Staff, and told him, "You have twelve hours to relieve Montgomery of command of the 21st Army Group and get him the hell out of my theater of operations. If you don't, I'll send George Patton up there to shoot him personally. I've sent a dozen American generals home in disgrace for speaking disparagingly of you British. I will not tolerate Montgomery speaking the same way about the Americans, especially when it isn't true.

"Send him out on the next plane, Alan, or I'll send him home in a box -- and I am not joking."

Eisenhower, of course, didn't have the balls to stand up to the British. He always rolled over for them. Even after we were carrying the brunt of the battle, he never stood up to them. He was a politician in uniform, not a combat commander like Patton.

shanebrews, big shrek, Rocky7 and 2 others like this.
  17. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Excellent Cyrano! Well versed in The European conflict. Facts you stated late in your post concerning Eisenhower are covered in the book Ardennes 1944 Battle of the Bulge by Anthony Beevor. Just finished reading this one last week. Seems Bradley and Monty were never best of buddies either! Good book and I recommend it.

big shrek and Cyrano like this.
  18. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Seein Dunkirk on Saturday. Will give my review. Lookin forward to another Private Ryan!

Rocky7 likes this.
  19. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

I just saw Dunkirk. I wasn't real impressed.

mauser9 likes this.
  20. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Me neither White Rook. No Saving Private Ryan.