Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an old O.F. Mossberg & Sons Inc. Model 340KA with "AC-KRO-GRUV" (I guess that's the rifling) in .22 S, L, and LR. Has a 10 shot magazine...not tubular, though.

My dealer had just bought four guns from a widow. I saw her leave with the check and asked what she had brought in. The .22 was the only thing worth more than parts. Had lots of surface rust and the obligatory paint on the stock and barrel that old used .22's need.

I ran a few patches through the barrel and went to the sandpit. With iron sights I was hitting a 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" plastic bottle at 25 yards with the rifle resting on the roof of my car. I was picking off Coke cans at 65 yards from a rest.

I brought this treasure home and completely stripped and cleaned it. May refinish the stock...may not. Not bad for fifty bucks! :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. When the dealer said "Let me tell you, that's worth fifty dollars all day" I yelled "Sold!" I don't think that he was expecting that. He groused about it during the paperwork that he should have charged me $75.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my 22 is a stevens I love the gun so much the outside of the barrel is rusted a little just surface stuff and the stock is pretty rough but get me in the woods and the squirrels are all mine out to about 120 yards

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellows. The front sight is not original, but it serves. For the price I'm gonna leave it. I'll keep those addresses, though.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No scope. It's strictly a sandpit shooter. I don't hunt. But if I was ever really hungry...there is small game around here in the winter when I lose power or get snowed in. I like .22's because they do not offend the people that live by the sand pit. We had trouble with a person that was being impolite with an AR-15 and a .45 auto. Neighbors called the police...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm more of a plinker than a target shooter. I take my Ruger MK II up on a little hill at the edge of the pit and shoot at gallon jugs at 65 yards. In the afternoon it's shaded by trees and the sun is at my back. I have two S&W .38's, a Beretta Tomcat in .32 and a NAA Mini-Revolver in .22 LR. I'm more of a pistolero than a rifleman. I've carried a handgun for 31 years now. A pocket pistol saved me from a mugging once.

And yourself? You're new here. September of 2007.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
TJ, I have the Model 320BB - the single-shot version of your rifle, and the model that was used by the Boy Scouts for their rifle taining at one time. It has the peep sight, and a two-post flip-type front sight. It's a little tack-driver!
I bought it off a range buddy who had gotten it from a relative's estate. He didn't have any interest in twentytwos, and knew I liked the older ones. Done deal!
When scoping the 320/340/620/640 series, the longer receiver makes scope placement tricky. Hard to get proper eye relief, as the grooves for the rings are too far forward. But I really like Mossberg's peep sights.
If your rifle has the two threaded holes in the left rear of the reciever, you could put the S331 peep sight on it too.

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
Tell us about the mugging story Daddy! it's my favorite!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
TJ, congratulations on aquiring the Mossberg. I have an old 46B and it is my favorite of all the 22's I have ever owned. it is the most accurate 22 I have ever fired. Mossberg made the most dependable and accurate 22 rifles ever produced. You can never go wrong with one. If you need parts, Havlin Sales on the internet, they also have diagrams and parts list, plus reproduction parts.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Snakes. I've been off of this thread. The Mossberg is really accurate, and has a nice trigger.

Some asked for the mugging story. Well, it's not really a big deal. I was 25 years old (oh my God, that was over half a lifetime ago) and was walking along a poorly lit street in Williamsport, PA. Two BIG fellows came out of the bushes on my right, one in front of me and one behind me. I was young and fast then, so I spun to face them. One was now on my right and one on my left, and my hand was on my gun. I had one of the old Hi Standard over/under derringers in .22 Magnum. I had an inside the pants type of holster especially made for this gun on my right front. I was pumped up, but not really scared, just waiting to see who did what. Frankly, I was ready to shoot, but had not drawn the gun. It was clear that my hand was on a gun.

One of the big guys held up his hand and said, "Wait, we don't want any trouble with you! We've been being bothered by someone, and we thought you were him. Go on your way." I told them that I had not seen anybody else in the area, but would be happy to move on, which I did, cautiously, with my hand still on the gun. They melted back into the bushes.

That was all there was to it. Like I said, it was poorly lit. Maybe they were having trouble with somebody. Maybe they were going to jump on me. I'll never really know. But having that little gun really made me feel better about my situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
22 S L LR

i HAVE ONE AND ITS LIKE BRAND NEW MY DAD BOUGHT IT NEW WHEN I WAS YOUNG,BEUTIFUL STOCK AND NO RUST AT ALL.I HAVE A 7 ROUND CLIP THAT ADJUSTS FOR S-L-LR

·
Registered
2 Posts
farmboy100

I have the original 340 22 and matching 640 22 magnums I bought in 1968.

Both of these rifles have been deadly accurate over the years.

I have downed from squirrels up to coyotes with them.

I you got a 340 for the price you said, you got one hekava deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually just stumbled upon this forum looking for answers about the Mossberg I just got from my uncle.

Its a 1960's Model 340KA with the AC KRO GRUV barrel.

Apparently I got one hell of a good gun, at an awesome price.Free.

Anyone have any mor info on it as far as differences in rifleing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts