Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing how they still make new ones whats the difference if any other then being used...rebuilt etc. between new ones and the ones CMP has? Is it the background and history that makes the older ones more sought after ? I know there are makes other then SA that are more rare so thats a gimmie. Fixing to buy my first Garand and was planning on riding to CMP to look them over but i work for a sporting goods store and we get a employeee discount with Springfield. I dont want the best money can buy but want the best i can get for my money for what i want to do with it, mainly just to have one and to shoot it now and then with reasonalby accuracy.

:feedback:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
They ones made today by Springfield Inc is not the same company that Made Springfield Garands. Commercial made Garands have no history and do not hold thier value. For what a commercial made Garand costs you can buy a real USGI Correct Grade Garand from CMP which is a rifle in very good condition. Some, not all look hardly used . Before going to a CMP store call first. I don't think they have any of the better grades . You will have to order them

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
when i saw this post i realized my S.A.1911A1 which i bought brand new and is a great gun.has no historical value either.
im going to go see what the prices are on a S.A. garand

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
As I remember Springfield Inc Garands went for $1200.00 on up. See why I suggested a CMP Correct Grade? Also Commercial Garands have cast recivers and other commercial parts. Its your money do as you want

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moneys tight and this is a one time thing, will not be able to afford a correct grade anyways, right now I'm looking at a field or service grade from cmp, I've always wanted a Garand since i first seen one and this is bout good as a chance i will have to grab one, I live about a hour from the south store so will prolly ride up this weekend and look around.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were wanting to by a Springfield Inc Garand, thats why I suggested CMP. Get the very best Grade you can afford. I wouldn't go less than a Field Grade and go Service Grade if you can. Like i said before I would call ahead first as all that has been in the stores for awhile are Rackers and Fields. Let us know what you get

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go with CMP. They cost less and will hold their value. If you want accuracy put on a new barrel. Mine has a new barrel and is an aftermarket receiver. I shoot it a lot, a LOT. It has no historical value but it is accurate as hell and I will never sell it as long as I live so its priceless to me. Too bad for whoever gets it after me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
?

Just to piggy back off of this

I know in the "real" garands you have to use surplus ball ammo with all the pressure issues and what not.

BUT...

If you buy a new one from Springfield can you use commericial ammunition in that one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts