Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got me a new pistol, a Para Ordnance Carry 9 LDA. anyways it only came with one mag, and I cant find any, because every place I call or visit ask what model, I say a carry 9, and they say. 'Is it a P10, P12, P13,,, so on and so on. so my question is this, what model is this thing referred to by, and second question is... what if any other gun's magazines will interchange with it. I love the gun, but I hate only having one mag for it. as usual any help is appreciated.

Also wanting to get new grips for it, but didnt find any for the carry 9, they are all listed by the "P" designation.

Attachments

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that...

I saw that on their website, but I was wanting to find out what to call the pistol, so I can find mags. I found some at my local gun store. however I don't know which "P" series I have. and I heard that Kimber 9 mm compact mags will work. But I have no experience with these or Kimbers. I have looked everywhere to try to find a list of these model designations and Google is no help.

· Registered
26,919 Posts
I saw that on their website, but I was wanting to find out what to call the pistol, so I can find mags. I found some at my local gun store. however I don't know which "P" series I have. and I heard that Kimber 9 mm compact mags will work. But I have no experience with these or Kimbers. I have looked everywhere to try to find a list of these model designations and Google is no help.
You were identifying the pistol correctly. The dummies you were talking to apparently don't know that PARA has anything other than 45s based on their responses. As there is apparently a problem with the mags I'd watch the website because you sure wouldn't want to pick up a mag from some dealer that wasn't the new and improved model. Defective mags are bad juju.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, thanks yeah, even tho I don't have much in the way of experience with the Para line of pistols, I figured that I was at least calling it by something close to its real name, one the left side it says "PARA LDA" and on the right it says "Carry 9"

but you know how some guys are...

Have you guys heard any thing bad about these pistols? So far i have ran about 100 rounds of cheap stuff, and 100 rounds of quality hollowpoints thru it with one malfunction, that was in the first mag, second round, the slide rode over the second round, I figure it may have been the cheap ammo we were shooting. after that, Perfect. but I value you guys opinion of guns, and like I say this is the first one of these I have had.

· Premium Member
4,133 Posts
I'm not familiar with the LDAs but I believe that any 1911 9mm mag with a 8 round capacity will work like on their single actions. If you're in hopes of finding help on Para Owners of America's website then you may be disappointed. The members are helpful but the staff doesn't contribute much and questions can go a very long time to infinity without a response. You may get lucky and find someone with a spare though so it's worth a shot. Keep the mags clean and you should be fine.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, Luckily when I got it, it hadn't been shot a whole lot, so the mag was pretty clean, but I thoroughly clean any gun that is new to me regardless who I get it from or how new it appears to be.
Thanks again for the help guys.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Just as an experiment, I took a standard 1911 .45 acp mag and slid it in the Carry 9 and... it fit.
even with the .45 ball ammo in it, lol, (I was just to lazy to un load the mag)
any way, it locked in and after I saw it locked in I emptied it and slid it back in the 9 and pulled the slide back and it locks open, so....
I guess I may be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time) but I guess that a standard 9mm 1911 mag may work. a buddy of mine just texted me and said he would let me borrow a mag for his 1911 9mm tomorrow and see if it would fit, so, there is hope yet. just figured I would share my experiment with you guys. still I would rather have para mags but in the mean time till they have em, this could help me out. I ll keep you guys posted.

· Registered
8,553 Posts
You do not have a 'P' anything; you have the LDA; so call it an LDA not a Para Carry when you look for magazines.

You don't mention whether your purchase was used or new. If new it should have come with two magazines.

I have a Para 14-45 that came with two 12 round magazines, I ordered two 14 round magazines and received two 12 round magazines...apparently Para can't count very well or they are guilty of false advertising.

Your LDA should be 9 round magazines for the 9mm but my guess is they will only hold 7 rounds...please correct me on the capacity.

From their new Para site the Carry and Carry 9 aren't shown...go figure.

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Looks like a nice little pistol! I have a STI 1911 in 9mm, its a full size gun though not compact. my mags hold 9 rounds but i usually only load 8 because the last one tends to stick on the feed lips and just feels like its pushing it, i have loaded with 9 and it did function though.

I found it pretty interesting that the .45 mag fit in it!, my 9mm mags for have some indentations along the sides though to i guess that makes sense.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You do not have a 'P' anything; you have the LDA; so call it an LDA not a Para Carry when you look for magazines.

You don't mention whether your purchase was used or new. If new it should have come with two magazines.

I have a Para 14-45 that came with two 12 round magazines, I ordered two 14 round magazines and received two 12 round magazines...apparently Para can't count very well or they are guilty of false advertising.

Your LDA should be 9 round magazines for the 9mm but my guess is they will only hold 7 rounds...please correct me on the capacity.

From their new Para site the Carry and Carry 9 aren't shown...go figure.
It was used but practically in new shape.
I am thinking of selling it because I can not find mags for it. I called it an LDA and the guy asked which one, evidently they make a .45 LDA. and he handed me a couple of .45 mags, they didnt have the groove down the side. Any way I looked thru his stock and didnt see any that were for a 9mm. just 40 and 45. but yeah I thought of selling it, even tho I like it, not like my Glock or 1911 or any other common guns, as far as mags go.

oh and yeah Para can not count. lol, Only holds 7, 8 if you want bruised fingers. and a friend has gotten a couple of 45 mags from them that are only 12 rounds but supposed to be 14. I think they need to correct their sales or marketing or whoever. thanks for the response.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scratchcampbell: Sir, contact PARA for your answers. Have your firearm in hand, be ready with your serial #

Para Pro Shop PARA USA, LLC

Follow up with your experiences. :) Thanks

I have emailed them but havent heard back, and I got ahold of one real life person on the phone and they only told me like 14 times that they were redesigning the mags and they would be out soon.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a nice little pistol! I have a STI 1011 in 9mm, its a full size gun though not compact. my mags hold 9 rounds but i usually only load 8 because the last one tends to stick on the feed lips and just feels like its pushing it, i have loaded with 9 and it did function though.

I found it pretty interesting that the .45 mag fit in it!, my 9mm mags for have some indentations along the sides though to i guess that makes sense.

Forgive me for not knowing all the proper terms when describing some of these parts, but I will try to be as descriptive as I can.
Does your mags also have a small, spacer type thing at the back of the mag, inside, I ll try to post a pic of my mag looking down into it, if i can.

Attachments

· Registered
8,553 Posts
It was used but practically in new shape.
I am thinking of selling it because I can not find mags for it. I called it an LDA and the guy asked which one, evidently they make a .45 LDA. and he handed me a couple of .45 mags, they didnt have the groove down the side. Any way I looked thru his stock and didnt see any that were for a 9mm. just 40 and 45. but yeah I thought of selling it, even tho I like it, not like my Glock or 1911 or any other common guns, as far as mags go.

oh and yeah Para can not count. lol, Only holds 7, 8 if you want bruised fingers. and a friend has gotten a couple of 45 mags from them that are only 12 rounds but supposed to be 14. I think they need to correct their sales or marketing or whoever. thanks for the response.
Or maybe threatened with a class-action law suit for 'false advertising'...nothing kills a business faster than the idiots who run it.

In my case...I like my pistol as it handles well, but I hate businesses who put out false ads just for the sake of marketing...My letter to Para's CEO will go out today.

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Forgive me for not knowing all the proper terms when describing some of these parts, but I will try to be as descriptive as I can.
Does your mags also have a small, spacer type thing at the back of the mag, inside, I ll try to post a pic of my mag looking down into it, if i can.
I've never inspected them so closely but now that your asking I have checked out both of the two mags I have. Each of them has fired many hundreds of rounds with just one or two malfunctions
Now looking at the twos gas they are quite different. The one it came with us made by mecgar, not sure on that spelling. This one does not have the spacer on the back but the front of it has an indentation that runs down the front of the magazine. This pushes the bullets back towards the rear of the mag. This seems to compensate for the shorter length of the 9 mm compared to the .45.

My second magazine(colt) has no indent on the front but it does have a spacer similar to the one in your pic.

They both have the indents on the side presumably to keep the rounds centered in the magazine.

It's interesting that despite the difference in the placement of the rounds in the mag they both work fine. One has the bullets pushed forward while the other has them pushed to the back of the mag.

I imagine these nuances are all due to the adaptation of the .45 frame/design to a 9mm platform.

Strap Shadow
String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Still life photography Still life Steel
Shadow Still life photography

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

Attachments

· Registered
16,485 Posts
The only thing I'll say, or rather, point out, regarding the two mags is the picture I borrowed and included below is that the magazine on the left looks to have a small bend or slightly bent lip where the bullet would sit. Not sure but I'd think it might possibly cause a FTF maybe at some point?

Here, this should help. And please, forgive my inability to draw a good circle with a mouse. lmao

Attachments

· Registered
6,297 Posts
The only thing I'll say, or rather, point out, regarding the two mags is the picture I borrowed and included below is that the magazine on the left looks to have a small bend or slightly bent lip where the bullet would sit. Not sure but I'd think it might possibly cause a FTF maybe at some point?

Here, this should help. And please, forgive my inability to draw a good circle with a mouse. lmao
Right, as i stated in the post, that one has an indent that runs all the way down the front of the mag, this compensates for the lack of "spacer in the rear that the other mag has, equal but opposite. If you look at the third pic i posted you will see the indent going down the front of the mag

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.