Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a brand new H&R with bull barrell in 223 last weekend. Have had some trigger time with it, and have to say, I'M IN LOVE!!!

Wanted a 223/5.56 for quite a while. Looked hard into the Mini14, the SAIGA 223, and even looked hard at a CZ bolt action. But for what I wanted & needed (a super accurate, long range ranch rifle to ride allong in the truck, mule, and tractors with me) I just could not see spending the $500+ for the Ruger or CZ. The SAIGA was just another ugly AK variant, and as I had allready owned a 280 Remington and a 243 Winchester NEF Handi Riffles in the past with great luck with them, Iwent hunting for a NEF in 223. Found this H&R at wallyworld for $270 including scope & just could not pass it up. NOW, the scope was a let down (did not even have a name brand on it) so I installed a old Bushenell scope I have had for many years and trust it 100%. It's a 4-12X x 40mm AO. One of the first AO scopes Bushenell ever made from my understaning of it.

At the range: First off, the trigger S U C K S !!!!!!!!!!!!
I MUST find a gunsmith who can get the trigger pull down from needing a WARN winch to pull it down to a more reasonable 3 - 4 lbs. SERIOUSLY! This gun weighs about 8 ish lbs with the scope installed. I can ( With an empty chamber!) ballance the weight of the gun on the trigger and it not "fire"!! HORRIBLE! The 289 and the 243 I had owned in the past BOTH had really good triggers. This one IS very crisp, but I dont feel like breaking a finger joint every time i pull the trigger. Just a passing thought, but I wonder if Wal-Marts lawyers had anything to do with that! lol
Second, this riffle has an extractor, NOT an Ejector. Was not expecting that. As I do not, nor plan to, reload for 223, I would like to -if possible-n get this converted to a Ejector.
Thirdly, the accuracy is amazing! The Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max, the Federal bulk pack 55 gr FMJ, and the Privi-Partisan 69 gr. BTP Match ammo all shoot to ther same point of aim at 100 yds. As to group size, well, the trigger from hadezz does NOTHING for good groups to say the least. However, so far the worst 5 shot group fired so far was jut over 2" on a windy day last week with the Federal ammo, and the best group shot so far I accualy did not measure. I know its the smallest simply because I can SEE it is! lol How small? ALL shos -measuring center to center of bullet holes- can be coverd by a nickel! I am happy with that! That was with the Privi 69 gr, BTHP Match ammo.

Overall, I'd give this gun a 5 star rating. Even with the heavy trigger pull. For $350 ($270 for rifle, $50 for trigger job & taxes) one can have a very nice shooter that wont break the bank!

·
Registered
552 Posts
give H&R/NEF a call before you contact a gunsmith. i had a Handi Riffle for years with the bull barrel in .223 that ended up with a friend, and he bought another in .243 i think with the same problems your having. NEF will do a free factory trigger job for ya and it get it down to 3-3 1/2 lbs witch is plenty fine for a hammer rifle

newenglandfirearms.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
H-BAR, I agree. Something just dont seem right with the trigger being that heavy! lol As I plan to send the gun off to have a 45/70 barrell and a 357 mag barrell added to it, it would do me no good to have a gunsmith go through the trigger just to have H&R put it back to factory specs when the mate up the new barrells.
If I am still not satisfied with the trigger After I get it back, there is a guy in Louisiana that can get the triggers in the 2.5 - 3# range I am being told. His name was Ed ______? Cant remember his last name, but read about his gunsmithing on another forum somewhere. We also have a local guy around me about 50 min. from my house that is a certified repair center for H&R, and he is supposed to also be good with slicking up the H&R/NEF triggers & actions.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
NEF reworked the trigger on my 223 Handi. Follw H Bars's advice and contact. When I got mine back it is now one of the best triggers I have.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd call H&R Customer Service, explain the problem and they'll send you a shipping lable to send it in free, and they'll fix it free and send it back to you. While you're on the phone with them ask if they have the barrels you want in stock and see what kind of a deal you can work out with them.

Pete

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick little update.
I bought this gun for the sole purpose of having a centerfire riffle
I could afford to shoot a LOT.
Well, I CAN afford to shoot it, but what I can NOT seem to do is find the TIME to do so! xD
However, I have over the past year & few months managed to squeeze out just over 200 rounds through it.
Observations: This little rife will SHOOT!!!!
Have got MANY tinly little SUB 1" !!! groups at 100 yards. Not just a sub MOA group every now & then. Were talking, almost every other group!
I am 100% absolutely convinced that the groups that are not sub 1" are because of ME and are no fault of the little H&R!
Having that been said though, I can see it has a definate preference for the lighter weight bullets. Anything at or over 60 gr. bullet and the groups start to push the 1 1/4" envelope. On the other hand, if there is no blast's of wind going on and the weather is relitivaly calm, using it's pet load of the 40 gr. V-Max 1/2" to 3/4" groups are the norm.
I still hae NOT A) Got the heavy trigger fixed, & B) Orderd any extra barrels for it yet.
Kinda keep blowing my budjet on ammo, more new guns, and my vehicle obsession!!!
If it were not for guns & off road trucks, I'd be able to RETIRE by now!!! LOL !!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Picked up a brand new H&R with bull barrell in 223 last weekend. Have had some trigger time with it, and have to say, I'M IN LOVE!!!

Wanted a 223/5.56 for quite a while. Looked hard into the Mini14, the SAIGA 223, and even looked hard at a CZ bolt action. But for what I wanted & needed (a super accurate, long range ranch rifle to ride allong in the truck, mule, and tractors with me) I just could not see spending the $500+ for the Ruger or CZ. The SAIGA was just another ugly AK variant, and as I had allready owned a 280 Remington and a 243 Winchester NEF Handi Riffles in the past with great luck with them, Iwent hunting for a NEF in 223. Found this H&R at wallyworld for $270 including scope & just could not pass it up. NOW, the scope was a let down (did not even have a name brand on it) so I installed a old Bushenell scope I have had for many years and trust it 100%. It's a 4-12X x 40mm AO. One of the first AO scopes Bushenell ever made from my understaning of it.

At the range: First off, the trigger S U C K S !!!!!!!!!!!!
I MUST find a gunsmith who can get the trigger pull down from needing a WARN winch to pull it down to a more reasonable 3 - 4 lbs. SERIOUSLY! This gun weighs about 8 ish lbs with the scope installed. I can ( With an empty chamber!) ballance the weight of the gun on the trigger and it not "fire"!! HORRIBLE! The 289 and the 243 I had owned in the past BOTH had really good triggers. This one IS very crisp, but I dont feel like breaking a finger joint every time i pull the trigger. Just a passing thought, but I wonder if Wal-Marts lawyers had anything to do with that! lol
Second, this riffle has an extractor, NOT an Ejector. Was not expecting that. As I do not, nor plan to, reload for 223, I would like to -if possible-n get this converted to a Ejector.
Thirdly, the accuracy is amazing! The Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max, the Federal bulk pack 55 gr FMJ, and the Privi-Partisan 69 gr. BTP Match ammo all shoot to ther same point of aim at 100 yds. As to group size, well, the trigger from hadezz does NOTHING for good groups to say the least. However, so far the worst 5 shot group fired so far was jut over 2" on a windy day last week with the Federal ammo, and the best group shot so far I accualy did not measure. I know its the smallest simply because I can SEE it is! lol How small? ALL shos -measuring center to center of bullet holes- can be coverd by a nickel! I am happy with that! That was with the Privi 69 gr, BTHP Match ammo.

Overall, I'd give this gun a 5 star rating. Even with the heavy trigger pull. For $350 ($270 for rifle, $50 for trigger job & taxes) one can have a very nice shooter that wont break the bank!
Sell it and Buy a Savage Axis!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sell it and Buy a Savage Axis!!
Why sell it?
I have a Savage Axis in 30'06! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!
It is by FAR the softest recoiling 30'06 I have ever shot.
At least, in the "Felt Recoil" area that is.
One Heck of a great factory trigger too!!!
Stuck a budjet Leupold scope on it, put 65 rounds through it, and it now sits in the safe awating a future Elk hunt! ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts