Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reloaded a bunch. Norma brass, CCI large rifle primers, Hornady 303 SP Interlocks sized .312". 47.5 grains of H4895. Crimped with a Lee collet crimp die. OAL 2.875".

Can't wait to see how they work.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Sounds like a good recipe to me! Let me know how they group!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'll be shooting them out of my 91/30 and my M44, so we'll see. It all depends on what the weather is like Monday.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not looking good Monday. They're saying windy and cold with chance of showers. I can deal with the cold and rain, but I don't like wind when I am trying to work up some loads. They are even talking about the possibility of some snow Sunday night. Where is all this global warming they keep yapping about?

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, cold, windy, and raining. Could have stood anything but the windy. Next opportunity for range is Friday.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So of course what's the weather like today? Cold, windy, and raining. I'm almost starting to believe somebody up there is punishing me for buying yet another Mosin.:sad2:

Well I'll have to see what next monday is like. The waiting is killing me!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finally, it's sunny, not too windy. And I'm about as sick as a dog. I tell you, somebody hates me!

Well, my buddy came and dragged me out of my death bed and we went shooting anyways. I only set targets out to 50 yards as I was too sick to be walking back and forth. My M44 gave me a group of 3.178", but the center of the group was 3.7" high. I figure another 50 yards of drop it may be right on the money. I had a problem with my 91/30. I thought I had the bayonet in the case, but it wasn't in there. I shot it without, and got a group of 2.175", but they were centered 1.5" to the left. I can't help but wonder if the bayonet would have put them spot on. I also had no rest or sandbags, and know I could have got better groups. But the homeloads look OK.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm still having trouble getting mine to all go off properly. But it does seem to be all with the 150gr .308 fmjbt hornady. Unburned power, tumbling bullets. I'm even using the lee factory crimp die and cranking that as tight as it'll go. Tried different primers, a couple jugs of h4895 and one of imr4895.
My hornady .3105 174gr fmjbt ones seem to go off perfectly, but I've only used that bullet with the hotter primers.
All of these full sized and about halfway between starting and max powder ammounts.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just wondering why would the bayonet change your grouping
Barrel harmonics was the phrase I heard. And I've heard plenty of people claim the bayonet does make a difference. Now left, right, up, or down? I haven't heard.:ugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts