New production M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'M1 Carbine' started by PushPuller, Jan 5, 2019.

1. PushPuller

PushPuller G&G Enthusiast

Hey everybody. Iv been window shopping M1 carbines for quite some time, and despite wanting an older one I plan to shoot the wheels off of it and wouldn't be opposed to getting a new Auto ordnance (Kahr Arms) since it wouldn't have any retro value as well as a warranty. Unfortunately I don't have access to old M1 Carbines to compare to a new one.

Do any of you guys have any experience with the new-pro M1s? The going rate for new ones are about $700-850 depending on model. Vintage ones for a little over $1000. If I could get something brand new, with enough left over for a decent bit of ammo Id be silly not to do that instead, I just don't want to buy a headache because I cant find many reviews and took a gamble.

thanks in advance for any help I can get!

gsbuickman and jwrauch like this.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

PushPuller: Sir; some good information

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/review-auto-ordnance-m1-carbine/83840#

Its crisp, single-stage 51/2-pound trigger had no take-up, and while I was able to get decent groups with it (21/2 and three inches at 100 yards), I suspect someone with younger eyes would have done even better. The sights were exactly right for elevation, but the carbine was hitting three inches right for me at 50 yards. The rear sight is drift adjustable for windage, so this is a quick fix.

I will freely admit that I haven't discovered anything about the M1 Carbine that people smarter than me didn't already know 40 years ago. We all stand on the shoulders of giants, but Americans have short memories. The M1 Carbine has proven itself on battlefields around the world and hunting grounds here at home, and it avoids the stigma of the "evil black assault rifle".

There are some who might argue that because an Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine is new, as opposed to a surplus war veteran, that it is not a "historic" weapon but rather a nostalgic one. So what? Collectors have driven the prices of surplus carbines up to (and far beyond in some cases) the cost of a new Auto-Ordnance, and most people can't afford to buy guns they don't intend to shoot. This M1 Carbine is a shooter.

MoDoc, jwrauch and Huey Rider like this.

3. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Not the best repop. If you can find an older Plainfield, that is what I would do. They are probably the best repros. BTW, an original late Inland or military rebuild is usually a good deal. Parts are still readily available and replacement of any broken parts won't effect the value.

4. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

When going through small arms repair school, Aberdeen Proving grounds, we didn't cover the M1 carbine but the M2 carbine. Talk about going through the ammo. My Winchester M1 can knock the wings off flys 100 yards,

5. Auto Ordnance/Kahr makes a decent carbine now. In the early years they had some QC issues, but overcame them. Also a good buy is an old Planefield or Iver Johnson. They are 100% interchangeable with USGI parts. The new "inland" has NO relationship to the original other than they highjacked the name for a marketing ploy. They intimate that they are the same company and make a big show of using original Inland advertising and war films to legitimize themselves. They were plagued by soft bolts and receivers initially, though they may have solved it finally. They are very over priced, considering you can get a real USGI in good condition for less. I gave $750 for my Quality Hardware that was a CMP Service Grade and 90% finish.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. PushPuller

PushPuller G&G Enthusiast

Well I made it happen! Buds price matched an old discounted Brownells link for the M1A1 style folding stock Auto Ordnance. It got here yesterday, and I took it to the range first thing this morning.

I was actually VERY pleased and relieved with how it functions, and that is flawlessly! I ran about 250 rounds through it with not as much as a hiccup between 3 different ammos and magazines. It also grouped better than expected but I can only get it out to 30 yards as I was indoors. I honestly think I just became an M1 Carbine guy!

Huey Rider and Cyrano like this.
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I have a Plainfield in a 1950s-style sporter stock that shoots quite well. I'd like it a little better if my eyes were what they were 20 years ago (no provision for optics), but it's a fun little rifle and I enjoy it.