Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Just as I told myself that I wasn't buying another gun for a long time (as in 1 year), I find this: The Remington Model 700 VTR (Varmint-Tactical Rifle)

Model 700™VTR™

and it's little brother:

Model 700™ XCR ™Compact Tactical

I hate you Remington...stop taking my money :(
I wonder how the VTR shoots? I've been looking for a long range target rifle (max distance of 500 yards), and this might be exactly what I need. Plus, it looks bad @$$...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I rarely bump threads...but am I the only one curious about this rifle with a triangular barrel?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Nope, your not the only one curious. I think it is cool and was about to post a thread about it. I am going to take a serious look at the .223 when it hits the street. Very cool rifle. Remington has several new products for 2008 that are cool and different.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Looks like a higher grade version of the SPS varmint, which I have. I think for once they've made a sensible addition to their product line.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I like it too Bravo which caliber would you be interested in ? I bet the barrel being triangular has a very low vibration resonace too. I would want the 308...A.H

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Guys I agree, it is definately one nifty looking piece. And from what the MSRP is on it, makes it even that much more desirable.

G-Meister

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I posted this, the only 2 calibers available were the .223 and .308. They've since added the .204 Ruger and .22-250. The .223 is currently at the top of my list, but I'd love to see a .243 added.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If memory serves me correct 22" is about the optimum barrel length for most rifles as far as accuracy is concerned. This is a broad statement, but I also believe it to be mostly true. More than accuracy - velocity is at issue. A longer barrel will permit a more thorough burn of the powder charge before the bullet exits the rifle; thus, one maximizes the velocity available for the given round - unless, of course the expanding gases have already reached peak before exiting.
The VTR is interesting, but that muzzle break would make for a loud discharge and I would think affect velocity, but probably not too much.
v/r
LG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I believe it's a cool addition to their line up. They shoot well too from the limited reports I have read. Do a search online and you will come up with a couple small reports.
My recent complaint is that Remington has evidently discontinued the XR-100 Target model.
Glad I got one when I did...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Remington Model 700 VTR in .223. It is a very balanced weapon. The triangle shaped barrel dissapats heat well. The muzzle brake works but, it is very loud! I have been shooting 280 to 300 yards with this weapon. Been able to hit golf balls at this range. About 3 out 5 shots. I am pretty new to the .223 round. I have been loading them with 22 grains of imr 3031 pushing a nosler .55 grain bullet. Now I have found that 24 grains of powder gives me about 5" less bullet drop at 300 yards.
Any thoughts on a 62 grain bullet? For the same load.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You know your seeing other guns with green stocks from the factory and I kinda of like'em, the shade Remington chose looks good...real good ...A.H

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bravo are you going to get one?
That's still up in the air. Later this year, I plan on getting a new bolt action rifle (just before deer season). I want this rifle to double as a deer field gun, and as a target gun (not really a benchrest gun, but a rifle with a bipod that I can punch paper with from 300-400 yards).

If I get the VTR, it will have to be in .308, although if I can talk myself into just using my M1903 and 30/30 rifle for deer, then I might get a .223 VTR just for targets. It would also give me a rifle for coyote.

Time will tell what decision I make :D

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The shape of the barrel will have zero effect on balistics.You are still using the same components and they will have the same balistics.I believe it would be cheaper to manufacture and give as good of heat dispension as fluted barrels if not better.Better trajectory can be gained by changing powders,using faster,fast-medium burn rates with lighter bullets and slower fast-medium burn rate with heavier bullets and 53gr for a medium.The higher the BC the more range.As to whether the 22" barrel is the best,in the small capacity casings like .223 possibly short is better because of the fact that you cant get enough slower burning powder in the caseing to build the necessary pressure.With a larger case like .22-250 a longer barrel is best because you have case capacity for slower powders and need a longer barrel to use slower powders in.With the .308win,it gets very optional and 20" barrels are doing almost as good with faster burn rate powders as 24"barrels with slower burn rate powders.One thing for sure,you have to load for what you are using the cartridge in to get the most out of these low and medium capacity casings. sam.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The shape of the barrel will have zero effect on balistics.
You're 100% correct in my opinion. However, it SHOULD affect accuracy.

A triangle is geometrically the strongest shape. It would make sense that a triangular barrel would have less of a "whip" than the round barrel. I don't know about their barrel not being fully triangular though. I would think they lose some potential here.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Bravo, check out the weatherby varmint special, similar i think (Looks anyway) price is a bit lower, i was thinkin about one of those once i get some money saved up lol

the super varmint master (more expensive) comes in 243

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Remington Model 700 VTR in .223. It is a very balanced weapon. The triangle shaped barrel dissapats heat well. The muzzle brake works but, it is very loud! I have been shooting 280 to 300 yards with this weapon. Been able to hit golf balls at this range. About 3 out 5 shots. I am pretty new to the .223 round. I have been loading them with 22 grains of imr 3031 pushing a nosler .55 grain bullet. Now I have found that 24 grains of powder gives me about 5" less bullet drop at 300 yards.
Any thoughts on a 62 grain bullet? For the same load.

I would strongly recommend running some Berger 70gr VLD's through that puppy. You'll extend the usable range with that 1/9 twist barrel by quite a bit. I plan an adding a 223 VTR to my stable later in the spring.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
A muzzle brake should lend to accuracy as it releases pressure before the bullet leaves the barrel,causing less trauma on the bullet as it exits.The one thing I dont know is if the VTR has a builtin brake,would the barrel be meisured to the start or end of the brake.This could cause you to use an all togather powder if you actually only have an 18"or19" barrel instead of 22". sam.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts