Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeballing this .243 Interarms Viscount and bought her last night. The dark stock just did it for me plus it's in my favorite caliber. That contour in the stock from the receiver forward and the shape of checkered panels just knocked me out. Seller's pics. The metal is perfect but it does have a bit of wear here and there on the stock though the distant pics make it look mint. I'm no stranger to touchups and will make it minty-fresh again.

Green Plant Tree Font Grass

Wood Human leg Fashion accessory Composite material Metal

Hand tool Fawn Thigh Wood Trunk

Wood Knife Automotive exterior Blade Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Hah! I actually had that rifle book-marked. That seller has a Rem 700 in .222 Rem I was looking at, saw the .243 when I went through his other items. I didn't have any intention of bidding, but wanted to see where it would price-out. Congratulations!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah! I actually had that rifle book-marked. That seller has a Rem 700 in .222 Rem I was looking at, saw the .243 when I went through his other items. I didn't have any intention of bidding, but wanted to see where it would price-out. Congratulations!
LOL! I probably paid a touch more than I should have but that's auctions! I thought it was a very unusual rifle. I've seen a bunch of Interarms Mark X's for sale but never saw one with this style stock. It just kind of stood out and called my name!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
LOL! I probably paid a touch more than I should have but that's auctions! I thought it was a very unusual rifle. I've seen a bunch of Interarms Mark X's for sale but never saw one with this style stock. It just kind of stood out and called my name!
It was interesting enough that I bookmarked it, no judgement here. I know next to nothing about the Viscount line.

That seller has a lot of cool stuff up right now. The .222's and the .257 Roberts rifles caught my eye. I don't need another rifle chambered for either (hah! "need"), but I like to look.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was interesting enough that I bookmarked it, no judgement here. I know next to nothing about the Viscount line.

That seller has a lot of cool stuff up right now. The .222's and the .257 Roberts rifles caught my eye. I don't need another rifle chambered for either (hah! "need"), but I like to look.
He sure does have some nice guns. I glanced at that M77 in 257 Roberts, nice. What I couldn't believe was the bidding on that 10/22 Ruger in 22Mag ... $1047 current bid!!! Yikes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That Mark X Viscount I bought turns out to be an earlier Mark X Cavalier which was Interarms' top of the line model with fancy wood, contrasting grip and fore-end cap, Monte Carlo rollover comb and cut checkering. It was the only model with that "scoop contour" in the stock where the barrel meets the receiver. I doubt it makes any difference value-wise. but they are rarer. TrueGun Value shows no sales history on the Cavalier model so it may just get lumped into the overall Interarms Mark X pricing data.

Here's a 1976 Cavalier ad reprint.

The " Viscount" was a later value/field-grade model with birch stock, no grip or forend cap, pressed checkering and straight comb. Still a handsome rifle on it's own. Here's a 1986 Viscount ad reprint.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Mark X Viscount was actually an earlier Mark X Cavalier which was Interarms' top of the line model with fancy wood, contrasting grip and fore-end cap, Monte Carlo rollover comb and cut checking. It was the only model with that "scoop contour" in the stock where the barrel meets the receiver. I doubt it makes any difference value-wise. but they are rarer. TrueGun Value shows no sales history on the Cavalier model so it may just get lumped into the overall Interarms Mark X pricing data.

Here's a 1976 Cavalier ad reprint.

The " Viscount" was a later value/field-grade model with birch stock, no grip or forend cap, pressed checkering and straight comb. Here's a 1986 Viscount ad reprint.

Neat history of Interams Mark X rifles here: Interarms Mark X History

Interarms® was reformed in 2014 to carry on the legacy of the original Interarms (Alexandria VA) after the death of its founder Sam Cummings in 1998, who was a legend in the arms industry. Sam Cummings was famous for supplying countries, revolutionaries, and the US Government. He was the largest supplier of small arms in the world at one period in time. He also supplied affordable firearms, parts, and ammunition to thousands of American collectors, hobbyists, and sportsman.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another beauty. Always admired Interarms but out of my price range in the "olden days" Became a Remington man with a 700, Model Four, and 1100. Bought way back when prices did not cause a coronary. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I really do like my Remington 700's too. They will outshoot the Interarms Mausers but I like them too. I almost jumped ship after the episode at my FFL's with his 700. They are fine rifles and a trigger change makes it all better. My son heard all the bad press, but one trip to the range and shooting the 700, he was very impressed with the way the rifle shouldered, the balance and the accuracy. I told him they are not the kind of rifle you worry about hitting the bullseye. You worry about whether or not you can put 2 shots in the same hole.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
He sure does have some nice guns. I glanced at that M77 in 257 Roberts, nice. What I couldn't believe was the bidding on that 10/22 Ruger in 22Mag ... $1047 current bid!!! Yikes.
I saw that and was a bit mystified on what I was missing that made it so valuable.
I did just order new glass, rings, and a rail for my 722 in .257 Roberts. It's got an old style 1/2" scope on it currently, and modern vortex stuff is just really nice by comparison. It's time to work on that rifle for a bit, see how it shoots. If it's another shooter I would like to take it out to the prairie dog field and give it a try.

My current interests are running towards the small caliber rifles; 22-250, 222, 17 HMR, .243, etc... I've been seriously debating on a .204 Ruger for a week but at $1225.96 to get totally tooled up for it (double that with a TBAC suppressor...) I'm hesitant to jump in. For the past few years I was on the other end of the spectrum with old .45-70's, 50/70's, .450 bushmaster, .50 AE, etc...

Reactions: mouser9

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Holy cow $1225.96!! I would pass too. Sounds like we all gotta be an Elon Musk to pay these prices. They sure seem shocking to a "vintage guy" my age.
$465 for a threaded Ruger American Predator isn't so bad, but adding in the FFL transfer fee, scope, rings, Hornady dies, lee factory crimp die, bullets, brass, and an extra magazine (almost required for prairie dog hunts) made that number quite large. Realistically, it's $2500 to get into a .204 Ruger with a suppressor. That's a sobering number.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah tell me about it!! Price of a candy bar shocks me too. Guess I am still living in the 70s LOL Recall my 1100 TB ran me $330 with tax and my 700 cost about the same way back. Walnut and good bluing taken for granted back then. Best of luck with your decisions in this crazy day and age.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That is precisely why I always keep my eyes closed. Beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Neat history of Interams Mark X rifles here: Interarms Mark X History

Interarms® was reformed in 2014 to carry on the legacy of the original Interarms (Alexandria VA) after the death of its founder Sam Cummings in 1998, who was a legend in the arms industry. Sam Cummings was famous for supplying countries, revolutionaries, and the US Government. He was the largest supplier of small arms in the world at one period in time. He also supplied affordable firearms, parts, and ammunition to thousands of American collectors, hobbyists, and sportsman.
Your gun is great. It looks much like my Mark V Deluxe Weatherby from the custom shop, also with a front sight like yours. I think you made a great find, congrats. Anyone would be proud to own that one.

Interarms had their storefront on the Potomac at the south end of Alexandria, Va. It was at O Prince street and a part if their massive warehouses there. I have read they had as many as 700,000 guns there.

When stationed in DC in the 70s, I would spend weekends in the shop. A very nice restaurant across the street was where I learned to enjoy fish stew and the east coast way of making clam chowder and various seafood dishes. For $2.50 you could get a large bowl of the daily special. Dinner was more formal down there and reservations were always required. Our group went many times, always going across the street to wonder thru the gun store. I had no clue back then what a historical place it was. But they always had a large variety of Guns in stock..It was at this location that Interarms distributed dozens of brands to include Rossi, Walther, Mauser, Astra, and Whitworth. They also had lots of military rifles most fairly cheap. If I knew then what I know now....oh well.

In later years Old Alexandria became a tourist destination on weekends and you could not find parking anywhere close. The Fish Market had free parking for customers. So on weekends, us military guys would go down and eat lunch, and of course walk across the street to Interarms after we ate. You had to plan....It is now condos and wall to wall eating joints...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, and those are great memories to hold onto.

Not exactly an Interarms story but a gun memory none the less, I remember my dad and I visiting a Woolworth's store located at the Yorktown Shopping Mall in Lombard IL in the early '70's. I had bought a Ruger 10/22 there and was eyeballing a Remington 700BDL in their sales flyer as a step up. My dad was an avid fisherman and I was interested in shooting. They had an amazing selection of guns, both new and Milsurp. I bought the Remington in 25.06.

While we were wandering around my dad spotted a large wooden crate with a couple rifle muzzles sticking out of the top and overflowing with wood shavings. He looked inside and it was full of Wehrmacht Mausers made at the Radom Arsenal in Poland. I didn't know anything about them, they were just old WWII guns to me. My dad pointed out the markings and the significance of the rifles, having been manufactured by Polish slave laborers after the Nazi occupation. My dad, being a first generation Polish-American and very proud of his Polish heritage just stood there holding one of the 8x57 Mausers like the Holy Grail. He decided to buy it on the spot.

He and I went to the range together numerous times. He always declined to shoot my rifles and shot his Mauser. I still have the memory of him, shooting off-hand from a kneeling position and just ringing the steel plates at 100 yards round after round with that Mauser and the open sites.

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Thanks. I really do like my Remington 700's too. They will outshoot the Interarms Mausers but I like them too. I almost jumped ship after the episode at my FFL's with his 700. They are fine rifles and a trigger change makes it all better. My son heard all the bad press, but one trip to the range and shooting the 700, he was very impressed with the way the rifle shouldered, the balance and the accuracy. I told him they are not the kind of rifle you worry about hitting the bullseye. You worry about whether or not you can put 2 shots in the same hole.
Nice purchase, I love me some wood and blue bolts and that one is a beaut... and I don't worry about what outshoots what too much, they all outshoot me. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts