Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new S&W 500 arrived today. It fits my hand perfectly, and has a fine single action trigger. A friend of mine has one just like it I've shot a quite a bit, and I've been wanting one since the first time I shot his. I didn't have time to go out to the range this evening, but I'll make a point to get there tomorrow. The only bullets I could find right now were the Hornady 300 grain FTX, I loaded them over a starting charge of Lil'Gun.

The .500 Mag is large revolver. The other revolvers in the picture are a 629 (.44 Mag) and a 686 (.357 mag).

I really like S&W revolvers, 4 inch barrels are my favorite.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
very nice

·
Constitutionalist
2,304 Posts
I've got the 8 3/8" version and I love it. Some people love to hate them, but I guess to each his own. My other handguns are tools to me and not particularly enjoyable to shoot. The 500, at least to me, is really fun and that just may be its only purpose, but dang it's fun.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
thats smexy!

I like the Xframe, gun built for me!!!

I dunno what I would do with one...but I want one at some point.

·
Premium Member
26,129 Posts
Is it just me, or does that 500 look a little bit anemic ? ? ?

J/K

Nice revolver.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Wow, I bet the muzzle blast of that thing with that short of a barrel is out of this world... CCW!! :D Just kidding, but who wouldn't want a .500. I'd love to have one or a .460 for deer hunting

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Are you sure you didn't photochop those pics? What does that thing weigh compared to the others?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The published empty weights are:

500 - 56 oz
629 - 41.5 oz
686 Mountain Gun - 35.5 oz

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,825 Posts
Beautiful.

Now there is a REAL hand cannon/gun! :yup:

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Meh, I'm very leery of big bores and snubby barrels. It's just a personal thing, you don't have to agree.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nice 500! I want to get the S&W XVR 460 myself and shoot everything from 45 Colt, 454 Cadillac, and of course the 460.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm thinking of a 460 as well, figure to get it before hunting season. Doing a muzzleloader hunt, but where I am camping a kid was actually dragged off and eaten by a bear so....

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
All I know is that when I fired a 460 similar to that 500 pictured above I fully understood that the firearm is an emergency back up gun only! 5 shots out of that thing with full power loads was all I ever wanted to shoot! Recoil was horrendous and muzzle blast like a 1000 pound bomb! But, I hit the target! Of course, if a big Grizzly is about to gnaw on your leg bone all that recoil and muzzle blast would not be felt or heard!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The published empty weights are:

500 - 56 oz
629 - 41.5 oz
686 Mountain Gun - 35.5 oz
It weighs 56oz? Huh, that's not much more than my .44 Mag weighs. I'd be fairly used to that. My Super Blackhawk Hunter weighs 52oz. However I would not be used to the muzzle blast/recoil :D

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Of course, if a big Grizzly is about to gnaw on your leg bone all that recoil and muzzle blast would not be felt or heard!

Depending on shot placement, the bear might get to feel and hear it, maybe even get to smell the burnt powder.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new revolver seems to like the Hornady 300 grain FTX bullets and Lil' Gun. I need more practice, I'm pulling some of my shots, but overall I'm very pleased.

The Mrs told me today, she's concerned there is something wrong with the new gun, she says there a big ball of fire every time I shoot. :haha:

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
You can always tell her that the fireball is to warn away the other bears that you are not shooting at!

Nice group!

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,825 Posts
The new revolver seems to like the Hornady 300 grain FTX bullets and Lil' Gun. I need more practice, I'm pulling some of my shots, but overall I'm very pleased.

The Mrs told me today, she's concerned there is something wrong with the new gun, she says there a big ball of fire every time I shoot. :haha:
/QUOTE]

Hey Buddy,

Just wait for her reaction, when she see's it fired at night! LOL
:yikes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts