Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Constitutionalist
2,304 Posts
I don't know what the short barrel is like for accuracy, but I set up for 100 yds and kept everything on paper with the 8 3/8". That's quite an accomplishment for me. I claim no expertise in handgun shooting and probably would've had the same sort of grouping with my .45 at 7 yds.

The mule kick was interesting, but I got used to it and it was fun to shoot. It's loud no doubt, but that's what hearing protection is for. Mine is listed as 71.9 oz., so it's not a concealed carry sort, but I've been debating having my wife sew up a holster that Velcro's around the bottom and hooks to the belt just to be able to carry at all.

It's just a fun machine. Not particularly useful, but fun.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I don't know what the short barrel is like for accuracy, but I set up for 100 yds and kept everything on paper with the 8 3/8". That's quite an accomplishment for me. I claim no expertise in handgun shooting and probably would've had the same sort of grouping with my .45 at 7 yds.

The mule kick was interesting, but I got used to it and it was fun to shoot. It's loud no doubt, but that's what hearing protection is for. Mine is listed as 71.9 oz., so it's not a concealed carry sort, but I've been debating having my wife sew up a holster that Velcro's around the bottom and hooks to the belt just to be able to carry at all.

It's just a fun machine. Not particularly useful, but fun.
It's amazing how a monster big bore revolver can be that accurate. Gotta love it, that's Smith & Wesson quality for you!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Due to money constraints I decided against the .500 or .460 for now. Although one if not both of those will be in my safe at some point lol. I decided to stick with a .45 colt I have and run max loads in it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Due to money constraints I decided against the .500 or .460 for now. Although one if not both of those will be in my safe at some point lol. I decided to stick with a .45 colt I have and run max loads in it.
That will take care of pretty much all your needs

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
That will take care of pretty much all your needs
Ehhhh, I went the other way. Bought the .454 Casull, and shoot a lot of .45 Colt out of it to keep in practice.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Ehhhh, I went the other way. Bought the .454 Casull, and shoot a lot of .45 Colt out of it to keep in practice.
The thing is, most of us only "need" a .45 colt or .44 mag for hunting and such, but there's nothing wrong with wanting a hand cannon .454 casull or .460/.500 Smith :D If you can afford it and you want it then that's good enough reason for me.... And the nice is if you want to you can step up to the big boy .454 loads

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The thing is, most of us only "need" a .45 colt or .44 mag for hunting and such, but there's nothing wrong with wanting a hand cannon .454 casull or .460/.500 Smith :D If you can afford it and you want it then that's good enough reason for me.... And the nice is if you want to you can step up to the big boy .454 loads
My buddy has a S+W.460 Casull . Frieking AWSOME. The cuncussion is more than a .50 BMG. But then it only has about a 12' barrel. I'm not sure of the exact length

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
At close range I'd be willing to bet it would be a great boar gun.
Heck, I would take on Mr. Boar with a 10mm, as it is much lighter to carry and will do the job. But if I am camping where that mythological bear that everybody is always worried about lurks....give me the hand cannon!

·
Banned
222 Posts
THAT GUN IS GOOD THE S&W is so good and also good at shooting!!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
All the pictures have disappeared from this 8 year old thread. This gun still puts a smile on mt face every time I pick it it up.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Ammunition

The only down side is the weight, it gets heavy to carry. It makes my 629 seem small and just dwarfs the 686 mountain gun.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
26,125 Posts
The only down side is the weight, it gets heavy to carry. It makes my 629 seem small and just dwarfs the 686 mountain gun.
I would probably carry something that size in a well made chest rig. It's much heavier than I would wany hanging from a tight belt around my waist.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts