Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the leupold mount screws dont fit so tomorrow i will try another set and hope the reciever holes arent to blame.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Billy, congrats on the new gun! FWIW, a guy on another forum that I visit occasionally had the same prob. with a new Savage, it seems that the holes were drilled and tapped undersize. I don't know what the outcome was, but I think he was going to send it back for repairs. It's a simple fix if you have the right stuff to do it, but if you mess up, then it's on your dime.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont want to wait a month for savage to fix it so tomorrow i am going to beg the local smith to fix it.
this is his busiest time of year!
i saw what the guy on another forum said also.
grrrrr!
i dont know how to do it myself and would be afraid of screwing it up.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yay! you got it!!!

I forget what I used on my Savage, or should I say, what Randall at the shop used to install my Leupold.

I`m pretty certain you have to use specific mounts, I forget the details, I`d ask around before Bubba`ing, Bill!!

Edit: It didn`t have the right screws in the goody bag that came with the rifle? My goody bag had all kindsa sh.. er stuff in it. No big decal though, I was cut about that.

Edit Edit, Arrrrrrrrrrm, Bill? jou sure about that location there mang?

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
its going back to the store today and if we cant get it to work its going to the smith.
pooftersfroth is from a frank zappa song

if it is the reciever holes and it is a defect.
if i had bought this thing for a hunting trip i would be livid!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I just don`t recall what was what when I got mine set up, but there was something... I wanted Leupold mounts for my Leupold scope, but we went with summin else, I can`t remember why. Weird that the holes have been tapped with the incorrect thread? Seems inposs.

Poofter, is derogatory for gay, I might tell you.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yes in austrailia it is

the mystery is solved!
my machinist buddy took a look at it and the threads needed to be chased with a tap.
so now it works!:veryhappy::banana::banana::banana:its a 3 banana day at ol billys house!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Are you thinking about putting a Choate on that rifle, Billy?

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yes!

the varmint one

i love fat barreled guns!

i think they put this stock on here so they could call it a rifle.
its a freebee.
i bought the barreled action.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Bill, I tried a Savage rifle with a synthetic stock at the shop, little wonder I bought a Savage rifle with a ( beautiful, and functional ) laminated one.:bling:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Great rifle!! I l really like Savage rifles. One of the best values of bolt actions. Great choice Billy

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i put my temporary scope on it a redfield wideview 3x9x 40mm wide? i dunno its a retangular one.
this is a cool scope.
if i ever hunt again this would be a good choice.
its probably 20 years old , clear and pretty bright.
this thing gets put on almost all my new rifles until i decide or can afford to put the glass i want on it.
ok the rifle itself.
this is a really simple ingenius design.
for some reason it comes from the factory with the trigger set at the lightest setting.
the manual says that all heavy barreled rifles are considered "target rifles" and as such are set light.

Bill, I tried a Savage rifle with a synthetic stock at the shop, little wonder I bought a Savage rifle with a ( beautiful, and functional ) laminated one.:bling:
our rifles are at polar opposites in the looks department! there is nothing shiny on this thing.
yours looks like something HUGGY BEAR would take hunting. ( you know? the guy from STARSKY AND HUTCH?):09:

i bet those roos are proud to take a bullet from that beauty!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Bill: as I`ve told you, the first day I took my rifle to the range for break in, there was a chap with your exact rifle there doing the same, it was surreal.

He told me his action was just the slightest tad stiff, stiff may be the wrong word, but he said the black coating made his feel less buttery smooth as mine. He also said it sweetened up quickly with use.

I just cycled mine a bit, added a suggestion of Tetra gun grease and it just is the nicest thing to work the bolt on.

My VLP, wiped over with a little silicon spray on a micro fibre cloth, certainly gets the ooohs and ahhhhs at the range :D She really is the pride of my fleet.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just cleaned this rifle until a patch SQUEAKED in the bbl. (really!) i used alchohol.
and then hit it with a dab of corrosion x.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Yo Billy! Beautiful weapon! I'm jealous... Your scope is a Redfield 3x9x40 Wide Field Low Profile. Mine was bought brand new in early 80's and has been riding a Sako 7mm Mag ever since. Again, awesome rig man!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I took a cheapy plastic savage stock and camo'd it. Looks awesome. Used Krylon for the primer coat. I even painted the last 3 inches black on the front end of the stock and trimmed it with a gold 1/10" wide band for detail.

Those cheapy plastic stocks are double pillared. They ain't really as cheesy as they appear. There is a bit of engineering magic designed into them.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I took a cheapy plastic savage stock and camo'd it. Looks awesome. Used Krylon for the primer coat. I even painted the last 3 inches black on the front end of the stock and trimmed it with a gold 1/10" wide band for detail.

Those cheapy plastic stocks are double pillared. They ain't really as cheesy as they appear. There is a bit of engineering magic designed into them.
im thinking of filling the buttstock with lead shot!

i must be used to my milsurps because i forgot about the recoil.
i KNEW those mosins had a function.
i want it heavier so i can watch the bullet impact! teehee

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i did fill it with no.9 lead shot.
i dont know how much this thing weighs now but its HEAVY.
i took the bipod post and the rear swivel post off so it would ride the bags and i would still have a place to put the bipod (the second front post) stuck the bipod on and fired it a few times .
it barely moves now.
recoil is almost completely gone.
saturday i am taking it and the new .454 casull out to play!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts