Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just went and put a 1903 Springfield on layaway. It's the lowest SN I've personally seen. 71XX, it's a 1903 dated rifle, in pretty good shape, rebarelled in '42 and was marked half off the original $1000 price tag it had at my LGS for the past 5 months. Pics will be up when I get it home.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics.

Sorry it has taken so long to get them up. It's not all original (as most aren't), The finish on the exposed metal of the barrel has worn to a patina, but underneath the wood it is intact and a dark blued finish as is the receiver like the earlier Springfields were. The rear sight is marked Remington, the stock lacks the finger grooves (marked with the S.A. cartouche) and the bore is outstanding on this rifle.

I feel like it was $500 well spent to finally get a Springfield in my collection. I'd like to find at least one more, or perhaps even an '03A3.

Attachments

·
NOT a new member
1,675 Posts
That would seem to be a pretty decent deal you got. Way back when I failed to pick up either an '03 or A3-03 when they were at least reasonable in price.
I do have a 1917 that is fun to shoot and bought it at a time when people turned their noses up at them.

tim

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would seem to be a pretty decent deal you got. Way back when I failed to pick up either an '03 or A3-03 when they were at least reasonable in price.
I do have a 1917 that is fun to shoot and bought it at a time when people turned their noses up at them.

tim
I would like to find another M1917. I had one but traded it and a little cash for a war bring back Kar 98k back in March. But if I could get another, then I'd have all the main US World War battle rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
That's a nice one, Chris. A veteran of two wars! Great score!

I'd like to eventually add a Remington 1903 to my collection.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good to have in the collection. I am still looking for an A3.
I bought my '03 in a Sears catalogue store in 1963 for $24 and still have it. It is in the back of the gun room or I would take some pics.
This is probably the only advantage of being old as I am.
It is/was my best fire arms decision.
DocAitch

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Way back I had a 4 digit...3848 with a 1942 barrel. I sold it late 80's for $325.
Here is a poor quality photo.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts