close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Steyr On Its Way

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by gandog56, Sep 18, 2012.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just bought my third Steyr M95. This one is Hungarian so now I have an Austrian, a Hungarian, and a Bulgarian contract M95.

2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Post pic. when she arrives.

3. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Im jealous. I have the austrian carbine and a full length rifle. Thats awesome to have all three.

4. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Nice Ganny, i have my eye on a M95 Mannlicher Steyr, but i have to play the waiting game. The dude left on the 24th for 6 weeks. I think it'll be a nice straight pull to go with my K31.

Bad thing is i don't reload yet, other than that, is there is anything i should pay attention to when i look at it. Other than the obvious ?

5. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

someone needs to block gunbroker on your computer! your gonna go broke lol

6. gandog56

Even I think no new guns for a while.

7. gsbuickman

They got an m95 steyr here for sale for $159. Its marked Budapest on the top of the receiver, and its in nice condition......

8. gandog56

Well, I certainly would look into reloading! Only way to afford to fire these things and NOT have to worry about clean up the corrosive salts from the old primers they used. You want to make sure what caliber you are getting. The original rifles came out in 8X50R. That ammo is next to impossible to find, and I don't know anybody you can buy a case with a boxer primer hole. Most of them were later converted to 8X56R, which you can get ammo for (though expensive) and get cases from Graf And Sons that does use boxer primers. The converted rifles should have a big "S" on the receivers somewhere. They really are shoulder thumpers, though. If you think a Mosin Nagant kicks, wait till you fire one of these.

9. 8X50R would that not be the same as the 8mm Lebel??

10. gsbuickman

Thanks for the advice ganny. Unfortunatwly i think this may be an original. It comes all # matching, with 6 full clips of nazi stamped ammo, probally from the 30's.

If that's the case, i may have to pass up a trade deal on it. I don't have the $, or the room to setup a reloading station just yet. I'll find out what, the headstamp says first.

11. gandog56

Look twice at the ammo. If it's Nazi marked, it was made well after all the conversions to 8X56R were completed. Also look for the "S" on the top of the receiver.

12. gandog56

Nope.
    8MM Lebel
    Case type Rimmed, bottlenecked Bullet diameter 8.3 mm (0.33 in) Neck diameter 8.9 mm (0.35 in) Shoulder diameter 11.6 mm (0.46 in) Base diameter 13.8 mm (0.54 in) Rim diameter 16.0 mm (0.63 in) Rim thickness 51 mm (2.0 in) Case length 51 mm (2.0 in) Overall length 70 mm (2.8 in) Primer type Large rifle.

8X50R is a little shorter, But I'm having a hard time finding the real specs. Everybody says you can make cartridges from 7.62X54R cases and nobody is saying make them from 8mm Lebel cases, so I'm assuming something is different. I wonder if it would be easier to make them from real 8X56R cases, which can be had?

13. gandog56

Didn't like the way the wood looked, so I'm in the middle of refinishing it. Only a couple coats of polyurethane to go. I tried to steam the bigger dents out but they are still mostly there.I did not sand it much further down. Pics when it's all done will be coming.

Also doing a refinish on a Yugo M48 Mauser at the same time.

14. gandog56

That would be the Hungarian, now you would need the Austrian and the Bulgarian contract ones with that to make a set.
    By the way, my last one was only $90 something dollars.