New Tanfoglio TA-76

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by musicmaniac, May 26, 2008.

1. musicmaniac

musicmaniac G&G Enthusiast

Well, not new at all, but new to me! Haha! I decided not to let the whole tire theft thing ruin our trip up north to J&G. Soon Saturday, we drove up to J&G to see if they still had the Tanfoglio I had seen on their website. They had told me that it was pending sale, but to call because they weren't sure the sale was going to go through. Apparently, it didn't go through and I picked it up for a mere 50 bucks. The guy who ordered it online originally, thought for some reason that wasa C&R. Lol. It is missing a rear sight and I am going to try to re-blue it as it is pretty worn, but it seems to funtion really well and lock up tight. I walked out of there with 2 new nylon holsters (one for the new revolver and one for the PA-63), a soft pistol case, and the gun for 82 bucks and change! I couldn't be happier with the price, especially for what seems to be a pretty decent, if not well used, new .22. On to the pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The TA-76 is a fun little revolver - the Grandaddy of the current Heritage Arms Roughrider.
    I found with mine the rear sight wouldn't stay firm - so I filed out the dovetail just a bit and fitted it with a Colt M1911A1 rear sight - it'll need to be a low one.

3. musicmaniac

Thats a cool idea. Do you think the rear sight from a Single Six would work?

4. Big Dog

I don't have a Ruger SS, so I don't know - I just used what I had available. :)

5. musicmaniac

Gotcha. I don't either, but my old man just got one. I will have to take this over to his place and see if I can compare and figure out if it will work. I'll let you know.

Also, I want to re-blue it as well, but am not entirely sure where to start. Where is a good place to get some quality bluing for a reasonable amount? How do I do it? I do have some blue remover and assume I should take all the old blue off first correct? Sorry about the infinite questions, just want to make sure I don't mess it up. Thanks guys!

Oh and also, I am not sure if I am missing a part or what. Haha! I circle in the picture where there seems to be something missing. Does anyone know where I can see an exploded diagram? Or can you look at yours for me BigDog? It sure looks like something should be there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Enthusiast

Some of these (later) guns had a manual hammer block that fit into the rear of the reciever in the area you indicate. I think you made a good buy. Take care of it and it should last longer than you.
    Just to be on the safe side parts wise, I'd keep an eye on the various gun auctions for cheap non-working parts gun.
    The inner parts of any 1873 SA Colt design are prone to normal wear from use and eventualy may need replaced.

7. Big Dog

This link to Numrich shows the "Excam TA-22", which looks like the same basic gun as the tanfoglio TA-76 - my TA-76 is marked as imported by EXCAM in Hialeah, Fl. The drawing shows an earlier model, but the parts list below has several parts "Not illustrated", including the safety parts and rear sight parts.

Excam*&!@#%|*&!@#%TA-22*&!@#%|*&!@#%e-GunParts.com

As to refinishing, my TA-76 has a cast-metal (Zamak) frame - it won't take blueing! The barrel and cylinder of mine are steel, but the entire gun is chrome-plated. I have seen the 'blued finish' guns, but not certain about the frame material.

My little "Eyetalyun Il-cheapo" - I like this little gun!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/93045/TanfoglioTA-76LtSide.JPG

I love the old-fashioned 'sixties capgun' appearance. It has the .22Magnum cylinder. I sometimes shoot .22 Colibri loads in it. Once had a feller ask "what kind of pellet gun is that?"
    I slipped in some .22 MAGNUMs, and blasted a couple....
    "A real good one!" I said back! Hehehe! :scool:

As you can see, in addition to the Colt M1911 rear sight, I also added a Marlin .22 rifle front sight.
    She shoots dead on target at 15 yards now.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. Durandal

Durandal G&G Newbie

Idaho
    yes the ta 76 is an awesome gun. and it will take a beating. I think mine is a zinc frame, but it was somehow blued.. not sure.. but it was beat to pieces when my friend's dad found it. he found it in a dumpster with no trigger, no hammer, and the ejector rod was gone (he figured it for a parts gun) so he took it home got a replacement hammer and trigger and spring, couldnt find an ejector rod so he filed down two parts from a philips screw driver and thats my shell ejector. works great. doesnt get stuck or scrape or anything. allthough if you dont work on guns.. I wouldnt reccomend trying to fit a phillips screwdriver.

9. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Enthusiast

You "could" put a Single Six rear sight on. But it would have to be a gunsmith job and require machining the rear of the stop strap. Wouldn't IMO be worth it. But.... If it shoots high as mine did, you can replace the front sight w/a Single Six ramp type. Just remove the original blade from it's slot, CAREFULLY drill & tap a screw hole (for screw that comes w/the SS sight), and screw it on. The barrel contour is the same.
    It'll likely shoot low then (@ 25 yrds. The usual pistol sighting distance). Then file down the sight to zero.
    You can't reblue a Ta-76 frame. But you can the hammer, barrel & cylinder.
    For the frame you can buy spray on finish of the type used on M-16's. Or use a topical "Blue" such as "Sharpie Blue". Made by the same Sharpie pen company. It comes in a marker type pen. Even cheaper is just use a regular Sharpie. It looks good and wears fairly well. But will eventually wear off w/handling. And comes off when contacted by cleaning solvents. But you can always replace it. It'll make your gun look like new for $2.00. I'd leave it as it myself.
    BTW: Yours is the 1st one I've seen w/wood stocks. Standard were black plastic w/Tiger emblem. Looks like someone put Heritage grips on IMO.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. Big Dog

Mine is a chrome finish overall (thin in places - a pretty cheap job!), and it has age-yellowed white plastic grips. Looks like an old kid's cap pistol! I found a cheesy western-style holster with chromed studs on it - really promotes the 'cap pistol' look. :smirk:
    Love to take her to the range. I have outshot a couple guys with Single Sixes - I had more practice than they did.....

11. Durandal

Durandal G&G Newbie

Idaho
    yeah gotta admit, Im experiencing grip envy. love the gun itsself though Im not sure how youd fit heritage grips on the tanfoglio frame. mine still has the original black plastic grips. I like it so much Im actively searching for three more. one for parts, one because a girl friend of mine is looking for an inexpensive plinker, and one for my older brother who hated revolvers until he shot mine :) (props again bigdog you called it spot on.)