Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Dale, from what I've heard it's a Mitchell's sales gimmick. There is nothing historical about those guns (not that there is anything historical about the m48 but those are at least old guns actually kept in their arsenal) - these are newly manufactured for the export market...but they are pretty.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I read where they are new production.

I was thinking it might...emphasis MIGHT...be interesting sporterizing one, putting a scope on it, and making it a shooter without ruining any historical value.

But, for the price they are asking you can have any number of new rifles for the same purpose but cheaper.

So, I agree...looks like a sales gimmick.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I am not a fan of insanely short barreled rifles, especially bolt guns that can afford more length for a barrel. But if you like M44s and M38s more than M91/30 Mosins, then you'll like this more than your M48 or other long Mauser.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,325 Posts
Their sweet...plan on getting one if I can come across one at Cabela's...Guns & Ammo did a reveiw on them and loved them!

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Yeah, not my opinion of worth it. Take a Turk and cut it down for a fourth or fifth the price.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Short barreled battle rifles are no more than NOISE GENERATORS, that are hazardous to your hearing, and to the hearing of everybody around you!

They have not been proven to be an advantage anywhere, even in the initial attempt to make a battle rifle shorter to aid the infantryman in house to house fighting. The few short M1 Garands were pulled from the line as soon as it was determined that a standard M1 Garand did the job as well and it didn't damage the hearing of the soldiers around them and the soldier using it. The short barreled M1 Garands were salvaged for useable parts, except for 1 that is supposed to be in the Government Springfield Armory Historical Museum.

I hate these short barreled battle rifles, because we have to hear them all day long at the range, and my ears ring for hours afterwards. I am inside the office (and they are outside), and I have to wear ear plugs rated at 33 db, and I wear electronic ear muffs, over the ear plugs, rated at 19 db, to minimize the damage to my ears!

`

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I totally agree, Gyrene. In WWII, those wanting a shorter gun for urban fighting didn't saw down their M1s or 1903s - they used Thompsons.

·
Registered
886 Posts
BRG - Thanks, I had failed to mention the Thompson and the "M3 Grease Gun", which were outstanding in Close up and Personal combat!

`

1 - 11 of 11 Posts