close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus New Taurus 709 9mm For the Wife

Discussion in 'Taurus' started by CountryBoy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Run a background & credit check on yourself...it may be that someone has stolen your identity and is causing issues.

It might not be YOU causing the issue.

2. CountryBoy

CountryBoy G&G Evangelist

New Taurus 709 9mm fFor the Wife

How would I go about running a background check on myself, how much does that cost? Cash is a little tight right now?

3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Pretty easy, you apply for a "difficult to get" credit card, like AMEX PLatinum/etc, if refused, you are eligible for a free credit report.

Also Google yourself and see if there are others with your name nearby...

I'd also request info from the BATF about the refusal...Freedom of Information Act 'em if need be to get records.

If possible, a personal visit to a local federal agency can help clear up a few things...tell them you are worried about identity theft due to the refusal.

One other issue...if you've ever had a DUI/DWI arrest, that can cork you until a lawyer can clean it up...

4. CountryBoy

*update*

*UPDATE*
    Well remember me whining a few months ago about being denied the purchase of the above mentioned Taurus? Well on March the 8th I got the fingerprints made and the form filled out and sent to NICS. When I came home this past Thursday night I had a large yellow envelope waiting on me, it was from the"US Department of Justice" "Federal Bureau of Investigations" (Sounds Really Important don't it? I thought so too) Inside was a letter stating that my name matched for a crime that was committed and gave a description of the type of crime, but stated that the fingerprints that I submitted did not match exactly the prints they had on file for the person who had commited the crime. Therefore I am elgible to purchase firearms. They also sent me a certificate good for one use at the store where I was denied. It states that it is for one use but may be used to purchase multiple firearms at one time as long as it is allowed by the law. Well I already have the wifes toy picked up, and have my new XDS, so I wont be needing the certificate. I was relieved to get the good news and I was also glad to recieve the results so quickly, I think it was postmarked 3-13-13. Since I have recieved the letter clearing my name, this past Friday I once again got myself fingerprinted and filled out the CCL application and got it all mailed in. The lady at the County Sheriffs Office said 90-120 days wait for concealed license right now. Hopefully since the Feds think I am elgible to purchase a firearm, the State will think I am elgible to carry said purchased firearm. Will update again in you guessed it 90-120 days!!

5. sasquatch

sasquatch G&G Regular

WV
    Glad you got everything cleared up. 90-120 days!? Wow. Here in WV it's law that a CC application has to be approved or denied within 45 days. Let us know what you think about the 709, I recently got the 740 and I love it.

6. CountryBoy

Thanks, it has a been quite a headache so far, but maybe it will be downhill from here. Oklahoma law says 90 days but they have quite a backlog right now, so I guess there isn't a whole lot I can do but wait. As for the 709 I haven't for to shoot it, bought it for my wife and she shot it for the CC class and seemed to like it. She had some trouble with it hanging up. I was in a different group than she was so I wasn't out there when she shot but we were shooting some Monarch Ammo I was lucky enough to find and I am hoping it was all due to it being a new gun and cheap ammo. 9mm ammo is slim picking right now and I had to take what I could get. I have since found some PMC and Federal but haven't got to shoot any of it yet. I bought her a pierce grip extension so her pinkie would fit on the grip also, and have been looking at one of the slip on grip covers to maybe make it a little bulkier feeling in her hand. But she hasn't complained about it so far other than the feeding issue.

7. sasquatch

sasquatch G&G Regular

WV
    After it's broken in, 100-200 rds, it should be fine. Most feeding problems are due to the magazine in the 700 series. If you haven't already, you might want to take the mag apart and clean it out, then coat the inside with a light coat of oil. Sometimes the feed lips are out of whack or there may be a burr in the magazine body that catches the follower. You can either fix them yourself, or call Taurus if the problem persists, they'll make it right. I have a Pachmayr #4 slip-on grip on my 740, same size as the 709, I like it. Think I'll check out those grip extensions also, but don't know how they'll affect concealment. Don't know if you're looking for a holster, but I got the DeSantis Sof-Tuck and love it. It's in my post here: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/taurus/153953-new-pt-740-slim.html

8. CountryBoy

I'm not sure how the grip extension will affect concealment either, but it only adds about 1/2" or so and only on the front side, it's really simple to install, and very inexpensive at about $8.00 from my LGS. I like it and don't really think it will affect concealment. For $8.00 you can try it.

9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

On steel lip mags, sometimes the lips get bent, so it pays off to learn how to "tune" magazine lips. Plenty of info here & on gunsmithy websites ;)

10. CountryBoy

Thanks for the advice Big Shrek, is there any particular Gunsmithing sites that you would or could recommend? I am a mechanic by trade and I love to learn, tinker, and fix things.

11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist