Use mine for home and car defense, so don't carry them (use other pistols for CCW). However, when I was seeing if the IWB Sto and Go for the SW J-Frame from Galco would fit my Charter Bulldog .44 (it did), the rep put a Taurus Judge into it -- the bbl stuck out quite a bit from the bottom but it seemed to fit. Maybe you could try this out at a gun store and see.
Here's a link to an article which has some holsters on it--follow the links to the holsters for the Judge; hopefully it might help. Don't know if this is what you're looking for.
Enjoy the shooting -- I sure do. Good point and shoot at the range. Slugs kick out a ka-boom and alot of flame (are fun); don't know what you'd use them for though other than some special situations. Fun to point and shoot with Bird/Buck. Reasonably accurate w/45 colt.
how does yours shoot? a friend of my dads is interested in one, but i saw a guy at the gun store today complaining about how his with the 3" bbl shot the 410 shells terribly....obviously you don't expect a tight pattern but i believe he said he couldn't kill a bird at 10 yds? gun shop worker said the rifling in the barrel probably throws the shot out in a circle....jw if this is the case
Mine shoots very well. I have 2 -- both 3" bbl and 2.5" chamber. The shot charge spreads out VERY rapidly (covers a silohette in probably 20 feet or maybe a little less). The pattern, I've heard, is more of a donut--can't attest to this personally. Shot pattern at 50' is very sparse. I think you could kill a bird at 30', but this is probably at limits for the shot portion. Buckshot at 50' has pellets spread about a foot to 1.5 feet apart. .45 colt shoots 3-4 inch groups at 50 feet, so reasonably accurate for short barreled gun. I use the guns as home/car defense -- they make great "point and shoots" for this very reason (especially for wife who doesn't shoot alot); however, I view them when used with shot as a very short range propostion. For short range "SNAKE !!!" or "CARJACKER !!!" at typical threat ranges, this gun is probably ideal. I load mine birdshot, buckshot (3 000 pellets in the .410) followed by 45 colt. The rationale being the birdshot/buckshot provides for a very probable hit under stress/adverse environmentals. Wouldn't depend on the .410 as a fight stopper, but it'd get a hit (the important part) and whatever it was would be less interested. Have the .45's to follow which ARE fight stoppers.
Here are a couple of links if you haven't seen them already:
I own "The Judge" ~ Like "The Judge" ~ And Never Tried To Get Anybody To Buy "The Judge"
~Taurus "THE JUDGE" gets a BIG Bravo~
This months issue of American Rifleman where Handgun of the Year is The Taurus Judge...!!!
Slugs~box of 25 I bought before I figured out that Slugs are Useless out of a Judge...!!! .360 Dia. out of a .45cal Hole makes it tumble going down range (KeyHole)...!!! Your .45 Colt is your Slug in a Judge...<) I just gave them to People at the Range to Waste on the Range to get rid of them... I bought before I Thought (light came on)...<:-((
~I find that in Full Polish, its a Vary Sensuous Gun... Its hard to keep your hands off it...<) Plus Full Polish is the easiest "Forever Finish" to maintain (can't wear it off~its more than just Skin Deep)
I'm dumping more food for thought on you than the Old Fart did... The right Bullet for your Guns is always about what you plan on using it for...
I read "The Box O' Truth" web site all the time... and finding the same Disturbing thing in most tests... Not a vary good analysis of the Physics of what's happening in the test... I'm not disputing any of the data that was accumulated during the test... But, the data is just dumped in a pile, for the reader to make his own assumptions...<:-((
The testing is weak, and the analysis sucks as usual...
2) Now in this Link you will see that to shoot a BadGuy the Cops use Special Soft Hollow Points when shooting the BadGuy so as to get 100% of the Bullets energy into the BadGuy (a shoot through is wasted energy)... De Menezes shot with 'special' bullets - Telegraph
3) The Test: 45LC... 14 1/2" Nice... But, it traveled 2 1/2" beyond the FBI 12" rule (a shootthrough Shot) 20% energy lost because there was to much penetration... The BadGuy did not absorb 100% of the Bullets energy... ( the old fart did say that it was a bad Bullet. What he meant, was that the bullet didn't slow down enough to stop by the Sacred 12"... Now lets expand on this a little. As seen in the GEL test in this Link: Gel testing the .32 ACP GoldenLoki.com A little .32 can get 15" penetration...!!!
4) The Test: OOO BuckShot... Lets clear up some more bad info & analysis... First off a OOO Buck ball is .360 not the .340 that was stated, check this Link: Common Bullet/Ball Gage, Buckshot, Hailshot, Birdshot, and Powder Grade and the next info that had No analysis was as follows... That "little .410" round in OOO Buckshot (3 balls) is roughly equivalent to Three rounds of 9mm - simultaneously delivered... The 9mm pistol may be criticized for a lack of stopping power, but there's no doubt that three .360 caliber balls delivered simultaneously packs a serious wallop...<) Now lets talk about the 4 1/2" of penetration of that Buck Ball, X 3 = 13 1/2" of penetration, and expanded to 45cal or more as seen in the test, and 100% of the energy absorbed by the BadGuy... Now how about that 4 1/2"... Put your finger on your chest, and think 4 1/2" deep... 4 1/2" puts 1 ball in each Lung, and 1 in the Heart using the Spacing, and Depth that was shown in the Test... I agree that I would like to see at least 2" more penetration, just for good measure... Yup, Dead soft lead balls...<:-(( This is a problem that was reveiled in the test... I must check my OOO Buck Winchesters to see if they use Chilled Hardened Lead Balls...???
5) The Test: .410 Slug... why would you... The gun shoots 45LC's out to a 100 yards, D'oh... My range test says all you need to know...
6) The Test: #6 bird shot... Don't get hit in the Face with it at 5 feet... BadGuy would die almost instantly from a brain shot through the eye sockets...
7) My own Range test below gives some general AMMO info... I actually tested a Full range of AMMO for the Judge... You can Buy every Size .410 Shot shells on the web... I did...!!!
8) Lets answer another Question: +P But Not +P+
This is from page 4 of the Taurus catalog: +P RATED FOR DUTY USE®
All Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a steadydiet of factory-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition built to SAAMI specifications. This includes the Ultra-Lite hammer forged aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel and stainless steel models. Rest assured, your Taurus will be ready, especially when you’re counting on it.
This Gun has a Medium Frame ~ It's just a Puppy ~ hehehe...<)
Ahhhhhh, the Smell of Black Powder Burning in the Morning... "S W E E T" ...<) See Pics...
I said that I would get to the Range, and shoot all the listed AMMO...
Well I did, and I will tell you what I liked...
1) Black Dawge's Black Powder~Most Fun you can have at the Range shooting Double Action as fast as you can empty that Wheel... Just like a Cannon... A column of Smoke rolls out there about 10 feet, and a foot in Diameter... hehehe Cool...<)
2) SilverTip Hollow Points~These were most accurate... I think the Jacket took the rifling the Best...<) It's a Killer... You know I will have two of these in Hole #4 & #5 of that Wheel...<)
3) 7 1/2 & 6's Shot Winchester Super X HS~Snakes aren't going to like these...!!!...<)
4) 4 Shot Winchester Super X HS~Bad Guy won't like these...!!! Good Pattern & Damn near went through a 2x4...Maybe some did...!!! OUCH...!!!...<)
5) OOO BuckShot (.360)(3 Balls) ~ These are down right Killers, for Home Defense... Just Point and Shoot... not Aim and Shoot...<) I feel a little tingle Knowing what these Babe's will do...<)
6) Rifled SLUG Hollow Points~Absolutely useless in this gun... The Gun don't shoot them... It Spits them... Hyper Fast~97Gr.~Don't touch the Rifling~some of them Key-Holing...
7) Nickel John Wayne's~Nice Big Bang... 250Gr. ... You know it's Deadly...
8) RNFP ULTRAMAX~Nice light shooter... You could shoot this all day at targets, and the Lady's Like this one the Best...
9) A-MERC~Good general Round... It will Kill anything you Hit With It...<)
45 Colt 250 Gr. LFN Winchester Nickel John Wayne's
45 Colt 200 Gr. RNFP ULTRAMAX
45 Colt 250 Gr. RNL A-MERC
45 Colt 235 Gr. RNFP GEOX Black Dawge's Black Powder
45 Colt 225 Gr. Winchester SilverTip Hollow Points Super X
.410 HighBrass 7 1/2 Shot Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass 6 Shot Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass 4 Shot Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass OOO BuckShot (3 Balls) Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass Rifled SLUG Hollow Points Winchester Super X HS
I load mine as described in my previous post (bird, buck, colt); figure a good chance of a fight stopping hit in most cases if I do my part. Have 2; both 3" bbl and 2.5" chamber. Think it's a great home/car/hiking/outdoor/trail kind of gun -- ccw gives me pause.
I e-mailed Cor-bon about using their +P and they deferred me back to Taurus (who I faxed but didn't get an e-mail back). Bottom line, since the .45 Colt +P seems to be its own animal (drastically different from the .38 +P) I really wouldn't shoot .45 colt +P it in this gun unless I had something from Taurus saying it's OK.
For .45 Colts, for me, the absloute best load is the Buffalo Bore 200 GD or (depending on your situation) the 255 Gr Keith SWC -- the "standard pressure" heavy .45 colt. I've tried the silvertips and Federals -- would probably pick the Federal SWCHP over the silvertips actually. I have a box of the John Waynes, but not going to shoot them real soon due to some "collector" value for me.
I don't know either where the slugs fit; they are great fun to shoot with the woomph and flame out the front. Kinda like light .357 rounds in vel--mine are pretty accurate to 50' actually. I see this as the practical maximum range limit for this gun with the possibility of Colts to 25 yds or so. The slugs might be good in specialty situations when you're worried about overpenetration, but if you've staged the gun like I've previously talked about, I think you'd want the colts at this point.
Have a good one and glad u like it ! Really like shooting mine as well.
~A little .410 Judge Info~
I bought the Russian 2 3/4" Solid Case GoldenBear Slugs to see if they would fit the 2 1/2" Judge... They do not fit...TO LONG...<:-(( They are a little shorter than a 3" because they don't have the rolled plastic on the end, which unrolled is 3"...
NOTE: The Plastic Fluted case of the Remington is bad because of BlowBack leakage...!!! (all fluted plastic case's are Bad in a Judge) Winchesters work the Best in a Judge Chamber...!!! I have tried all Brands of .410's in the Judge...
~My Holster for the Judge is a Great Field Holster~
It says on the Thunder 5 web site that the Holster doesn't fit Taurus...!!!...??? It fits My Judge like a Glove, and it will fit the New Taurus Black Max Judge 3 inch Mag even Better...<) See Pics Below... The Holster fits Taurus better than the Thunder 5 Gun...!!! Go Figure...
ok i'm new here, this is my first post. i'm thinking of getting the night court judge. it has a 3" chamber. i would like to get this ammo for it .410 Bore Golden Bear 3" Magnum #4 Buckshot. but the web site i saw it on says it not for the judge. has any one used this in theres? could the web site just mean the 2-3/4" chambers which are fer more common on the judge? or does the end of the case flar out and jam the gun?
A forum community dedicated to hunters and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, trails, clubs, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more. The friendliest gun forum on the Internet!