Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from North Texas:

I just brought home a new Taurus Judge SS with 6.5" barrel. It was NIB and I have not even fired it yet. However, I have cocked it and run it through its rotation quite a few times. As it is cocked and is rotating to the next chamber, the piece that locks the cylinder in place for firing is popping up and is scraping around the cylinder and rubbing a shiny ring around it.

I am new to revolvers but I do not think this should be happening. Am I right about this and should I be concerned. Thank you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Take it back to where you bought it and have them ship it back for repair on their dime. I had a S&W I sent back twice last year before it worked.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Taurus will make it right, take it back to the dealer and point out the problem they'll ship it and get it done right.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
kR I feel like we are friends..lol..So please don't be mad at me for saying
THANK YOU for changeing your avatar...The muffets just didn't seem befitting to you. LMAO...But this one here doe's. Peace and Love ...A.H

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Well, actually, every one I have seen (including mine) tends to have a line around the cylinder where the lock rides after it pops back up after about 1/2 travel of the hammer. Though noticeable on mine (blued) it can not be felt, but can be seen and I have run better than a hundred and fifty rounds through mine. I am not saying it is okay, I have only seen about a 1/2 doz. but they all had it. I will be interested what your dealer has to say about it. Maybe he can compare with another. Let us know what you hear!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
kR I feel like we are friends..lol..So please don't be mad at me for saying
THANK YOU for changeing your avatar...The muffets just didn't seem befitting to you. LMAO...But this one here doe's. Peace and Love ...A.H

heck we are friends i just think fraggile rock ROCKS !

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In the most recent American Rifleman, there's a photo of the timing thingamabob, that mechanical part on the axis of the back of the cylinder in the middle of all the cartridge primers. Gotta say I am not impressed with the fit and finish of the metalurgy. To me that one photo said more than all the words of the article. I have a SW 686 and a Single Six that have each shot thousands of rounds and neither of them look like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

I took the Judge back to Bass Pro Shops and talked to the sales guys who said it was OK. Not satisfied, I took it to the Bass Pro gunsmith. He examined it and said timing and lock-up were fine. I have used this gunsmith on one of my rifles (not bought at Bass Pro) and I don't think he was just taking the company line. Even so, I called an independent smith and talked to him about it. He agreed it was not a problem. So I am not sending it back.

In the most recent American Rifleman, there's a photo of the timing thingamabob, that mechanical part on the axis of the back of the cylinder in the middle of all the cartridge primers. Gotta say I am not impressed with the fit and finish of the metalurgy. To me that one photo said more than all the words of the article. I have a SW 686 and a Single Six that have each shot thousands of rounds and neither of them look like that.
Deep13, I saw that photo also. I do not see that the fit and finish on this one or the others in the store is visibly inferior to other Taurus revolvers. My camera is acting up so I can't take and post a picture today. I'll try to get one soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking about getting my girl the Judge....since she has problems holding my 9mm...plus I think it scares her more to pick it up than it would an intruder. I like the fact that if she did fired it in the house ( using .410 ) it wouldn't go thru the wall and injure someone driving by. How hard does this gun kick...and what is the going price on them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts