close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Enfields

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Daemon_89, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Daemon_89

Daemon_89 G&G Newbie

Hey y'all, I'm new to the Enfield game. Was just recently gifted with a ShtLE No 3 Mk 4 or 6 (can't read the Roman numeral, too faded) and I'm trying to find some good reload data for long range. Looking at using Sierra MatchKing 174gr HPBT, but the rest after that is a mystery for me. What's are some of y'all's favorite loads?

Dutch likes this.
  2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I have the brass and the dies, but never did any reloading for it. I’m curious to know what you end up with.

jerry likes this.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I load a bit for 303 but more general purpose loads.

My own opinion, compared to cartridges like 308, 30-06 etc. the 303 brass can be a bit finicky.

Recommend neck sizing only when once fired in your gun. Some seem to like annealng a bit too to extend brass life a bit.

There are a couple die hard 303 guys here. I’m sure they will have more to offer.

jwrauch likes this.
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Should be a No.1 Mk.III. Never heard of a No.3.

jwrauch likes this.
  5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the pic above shows the no-1 MK-3 [III] and the number-3 pattern-14.
    better known as the P-14 rifles.
    many of the P-14 and no4 MK-1 rifles are marked U.S. property [on the left side top edge of the receiver] as part of the lend-lease act.
    you'll notice how they resemble the US 1917 [Enfield]pattern rifle which replaced the 03A3 style rifles after ww-1.

the mk-III will quite often just have a proof mark, the date, then LE sht, and just III under that without a no-1 designation.
    this will be on the right side of the wrist band above the trigger.

6. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I have all the model Enfields made, even one barrel from S. Africa. I load 174 grn fmj for general target shooting. I have reloaded soft point in .303. One of my favorite bullets. I even found a casting mold for them. My main powder is IMR 4064. I have to go downstairs to check powder weight. off hand it maybe 50 grn. I'll check. I load only medium range for safety reasons.

7. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Heres one of mine No4 MkI Longbranch with Alaskan Lyman scope mounted on a No 67 MkI mount. We're talking big bucks. Only 99 made during WII. Tau 020.jpg Tau 023.jpg

8. Daermon_89, I load the .303 "Smelly", but don't have any of my load data nor rifles here in our winter home in "Fladuh", will be sure to get you the recipes when we get back up to our summer place, in PA., in the Spring. I own 3 of the SMLE's, and enjoy taking them out to do a little barking! Darned good rifles, those, but they won't win any beauty contests!

jwrauch and jerry like this.
  9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

You have a No. 6? But they only made 12 of those ;)
    I'd also love to see your Pattern 13.

Just kidding, man. I've been trying to collect all the major ones myself but I keep getting bogged down. Most of the time I find a nicer version of what I already have and the collection is changing rather than expanding.

jwrauch likes this.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My normal load is a .311" 150 grain FNJBT. I use about 38.0 grains of H4895. For a 174 grain bullet, I would use about 36.0 grains of H4895. Alternatives would be 44.8 grains of BL-C(2), or 45.5 grains of H4350, or 44.5 grains of H414. You get that I like to use Hodgdon powders?;)

jerry likes this.
  11. See how sharp you guys are, this is on of my favorites !...........
    Enfield.jpg
    I actually have 2 of em, only ONE difference in the two of em !............

jwrauch and jerry like this.
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

H4350 has become my go to powder for most milsurp calibers. Used to favor the 4895 variants, but they got very scarce during the ammo/component drought beginning in 2008.

jerry likes this.
  13. PaleHawkDown

Square box...either a 2A1 or a 410 I'm guessing.

jwrauch and swedesrus like this.
  14. WRONG, it's actually a picture of my 2A, the other is a 2A1 (not pictured) and most of the Enfields I have seen in .410 have NO magazine at all usually jut a wooden plug in the mag. well !...............

15. PaleHawkDown

Come on, man, the 2A and the 2A1 are fraternal twins. Also, I've seen the .410s both ways (and both using both a brass .410 made from a cut down .303 case and which have been bored for export to accept modern shells), and there was even a rare naval trials version that had a basket for launching boarding hooks using .410 blanks.

jwrauch and swedesrus like this.
  16. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

there is also a 'T' model and it just has a stupid square protrusion on the receiver.
    I had all 4 of the ones above and kept the 3 and the 4.
    probably should have kept the other 2 or at least one of the other 2 and got rid of the 3.
    I really like the no-4.
    a sierra 150 [311 diameter] and 41-42 grs of imr-4895 has that rifle dialed in.
    same load I use in my 308 win rifles BTW.
    the no-3 is being more problematic.
    it doesn't like the above load, it doesn't like mil-surp ammo, it definitely does not like reduced loads with 175 gr bullets.
    it does like to stretch full length sized cases into two pieces.
    I will probably break down and make a cast bullet project out of it at some point.
    I can fully see it needing something like a 220gr loverign design and a 316+ diameter to shoot half decent.

17. And YES the only difference between the 2A & 2A1 is the rear sight !.......

PaleHawkDown likes this.
  18. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Pale Hawk Down. I don't have a P-14, but an Eddystone, made 10-18, in pristine condition. Its in the middle, needless to say. No import marks. 3006s 001.JPG

swedesrus and jwrauch like this.
  19. PaleHawkDown

As cool as that is, the gun on the top of the rack is pretty distracting

jwrauch likes this.