New to Guns and this Forum

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Dario A., Jun 22, 2020.

1. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

So, welcome and I ask again, what was your MOS or AFSC in Viet Nam, what was your unit and what time frame were you there?

Huey Rider, rangerjd and Jaison like this.
  2. Viet Vet

Viet Vet G&G Enthusiast

I was with the 25th Inf Division (Tropic Lightning) '66-'67, MOS 31M20.

Junction15 and rangerjd like this.

3. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Cool, so you went to school at Gordon?

rangerjd likes this.
  4. Viet Vet

Viet Vet G&G Enthusiast

Roger that...the Southeastern Signal Corps School, Co. V

rangerjd likes this.
  5. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

1st Inf Div., 701st Maint Battalion Co D. ETSed out of Fort Gordon June 69. In country June 67 to June 68.

rangerjd likes this.
  6. Viet Vet

Viet Vet G&G Enthusiast

I ETSed out of the Oakland Army Terminal about the 7th of April '67. Steak dinner and all the milk you could drink. Disembarked from the troop ship the USNS General Walker (also know as the 'puke sloop') at Vung Tau 1 May '66, flown to Tan Son Nhut, and Convoy'ed to Cu Chi, the base camp of the 25th Div.

7. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I had 3 day in country R&R in Vung Tau right in the middle of TET 68.

rangerjd likes this.
  8. Viet Vet

Viet Vet G&G Enthusiast

I
    I turned down my 3 day to Vung Tau. I was in the field at the time and didn't want to come back to Cu Chi. Besides I remembered when we were still on the ship in Vung Tau harbor, we noticed human feces floating in the water, apparently the Vietnamese just hang their *** over the gunnel of the sampan and crap.

9. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Good to read this stuff guys, your service is truly appreciated.

rando, blaster, chesterwin and 2 others like this.
  10. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Thank you for the reply and your service to our Country. Your explanation is well understood because I can see from your experience then, your question of if it's the same site. The answer to that question is yes and no. The name of the site is the same. The membership is not. I remember those days that reminded me of the "Wild West" with the horrible bickering between liberals and conservatives. You'll find the site these days to be much more stable and for the most part, well mannered.

Again, thank you for the explanation and your service. A warm welcome back!

11. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

Welcome Viet Vet. Glad to have you back. I don't know what this forum was like back in those days but I think it's a good forum now.
    There's some good nature ribbing every once in a while. Especially when the "animals" get a little restless before feed time" (You'll know what i mean when it comes up again - usually it's a donkey and a raccoon - and it's a good laugh.)

Cyrano and chesterwin like this.
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Hi Jack !

(always love saying that)

There's a great bunch of folks here. We get the occasional trolls or folks who aren't what they seem from time to time but they're quickly outed. Just your standard freedom loving constitutionalists here.

Cyrano, Viet Vet, rando and 4 others like this.
  13. LittleRascle

LittleRascle G&G Enthusiast

US
    Welcome @Viet Vet , I know some folks who served in 'Nam, that said it was as close to H*** as a living man could get.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

14. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Heck of a pun for a pilot to like! :usa2:

Huey Rider and rangerjd like this.
  15. Viet Vet

Viet Vet G&G Enthusiast

The Constitution and American liberty is what it's all about! And ignorance is the greatest danger to American liberty.

16. Viet Vet

Viet Vet G&G Enthusiast

Thanks chesterwin, I appreciate that.

rangerjd and chesterwin like this.
  17. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

That's sounds right. I remember over there we said if the world ever needed an enema we knew where to stick it.

Huey Rider and rangerjd like this.
  18. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

We said the same thing about Olongapo in the Philippines!!LOL!!

19. Jhon Cook

Jhon Cook G&G Newbie

I am also new here

20. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
    Stop by the Introduction thread and say hello.

A suggestion.
    How about locking this thread down. Little liberal Dario who started it, is no longer a member. Now almost every new member sees this old thread. And automatically click on it to introduce themselves. It is now 11 pages long.
    It gets annoying.
    Just my two cents. :(