Gun and Game Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
Welcome to G&G from Indiana...... try different brands of ammo, is the best you can do. Sooner or later, you'll hit the sweet spot. On-line training is no match for face-to-face, if you can arrange it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Welcome to G&G from Indiana...... try different brands of ammo, is the best you can do. Sooner or later, you'll hit the sweet spot. On-line training is no match for face-to-face, if you can arrange it.
I would love to do in-person training, but how can I do that while still being safe from the virus in this current situation? Obviously masks and stuff but hmm...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
Hello everyone! A bit of an update on my end. I talk to my neighbor a lot nowadays; the other day, I mentioned how I have a firearm. Yesterday, we were conversating, and I ended up showing mine to him. He had one of his own, an S&W M&P 9mm Shield M2.0. We compared guns in dimensions and handling since I don't have any ammo yet. After deeming the firearm safe and handling it with care (having the slide locked back, pointing at the ground, etc.) I realized how hard it is to operate a firearm that isn't mine. I couldn't even rock the slide back sometimes with how much force it took. Comparatively, my gun really is "EZ" for a reason! I have a new-found appreciation for my pistol now, seeing as how others out there are comparatively hard to use! My neighbor loved the handling of mine, especially now since he's an older gentleman, and his hands aren't what they used to be anymore. Maybe one day, once this pandemic is over and I feel safe going to a firing range, I could ask him to go to shooting with me. A shooting buddy, haha! Truthfully, I don't think I'm going to go to a shooting range anytime soon, not while my area is still a hotspot.

I also just got an email from Bass Pro Shops today that my Blazer Brass Handgun Ammo is ready for pickup. I hope I can find a proper place to put it in my home once I get it. I "upgraded" the lock on my gun case from a three-number combination lock (that takes forever to open, especially in an emergency), to a four-digit combination lock. This new lock it much faster to open now, especially if an emergency arises. I think the last thing I would need which I can hold out on would be some ear protection since I'm not going to a range anytime soon.

Thanks to everyone's advice here in this topic. I hope you all know I look back on this topic from time to time to get some proper advice.
Dario, with regard to storing your ammo, try this. Look online and find a.50 caliber ammo box conversion kit. It's basically a steel bolt with two O-rings and a wide, flat nut, with a hole drilled through the shaft perpendicular to the bolt axis. You drill a hole to slip the bolt through after putting one O-ring on the shaft up to the head. You then put on the other O-ring and screw down the flat nut. The stud stick out the hole in the strongarm handle of the ammo box. Put a lock through the stud, and you can't open the ammo box without undoing the lock first.

Total cost is probably about $15 for the ammo box and $10 for the stud, and probably $8 for a three number combination lock you can set to whatever number you want.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Hello everyone! A bit of an update on my end. I talk to my neighbor a lot nowadays; the other day, I mentioned how I have a firearm. Yesterday, we were conversating, and I ended up showing mine to him. He had one of his own, an S&W M&P 9mm Shield M2.0. We compared guns in dimensions and handling since I don't have any ammo yet. After deeming the firearm safe and handling it with care (having the slide locked back, pointing at the ground, etc.) I realized how hard it is to operate a firearm that isn't mine. I couldn't even rock the slide back sometimes with how much force it took. Comparatively, my gun really is "EZ" for a reason! I have a new-found appreciation for my pistol now, seeing as how others out there are comparatively hard to use! My neighbor loved the handling of mine, especially now since he's an older gentleman, and his hands aren't what they used to be anymore. Maybe one day, once this pandemic is over and I feel safe going to a firing range, I could ask him to go to shooting with me. A shooting buddy, haha! Truthfully, I don't think I'm going to go to a shooting range anytime soon, not while my area is still a hotspot.

I also just got an email from Bass Pro Shops today that my Blazer Brass Handgun Ammo is ready for pickup. I hope I can find a proper place to put it in my home once I get it. I "upgraded" the lock on my gun case from a three-number combination lock (that takes forever to open, especially in an emergency), to a four-digit combination lock. This new lock it much faster to open now, especially if an emergency arises. I think the last thing I would need which I can hold out on would be some ear protection since I'm not going to a range anytime soon.

Thanks to everyone's advice here in this topic. I hope you all know I look back on this topic from time to time to get some proper advice.
You have probably made that older gentleman's day by holding that conversation with him. I am sure he would enjoy going to the range with someone from the younger generation. Well done young Padawan, WELL DONE.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
By the way, I don't think anyone has suggested this. Might be the best way to find a good instructor is to go on the NRA's website and check there. You will also definitely find a lot of good info for new gun owners there.

·
Premium Member
24,522 Posts
I couldn't even rock the slide back sometimes with how much force it took. Comparatively, my gun really is "EZ" for a reason! I have a new-found appreciation for my pistol now, seeing as how others out there are comparatively hard to use! My neighbor loved the handling of mine, especially now since he's an older gentleman, and his hands aren't what they used to be anymore. Maybe one day, once this pandemic is over and I feel safe going to a firing range, I could ask him to go to shooting with me. A shooting buddy, haha! Truthfully, I don't think I'm going to go to a shooting range anytime soon, not while my area is still a hotspot.
As you get little range time in with your firearm and possibly get to try a few others you'll get much more adept at racking the slide and locking it back. Your hand strength and grip will improve, your technique will improve, your muscle memory will internalize somethings that you had to work your way through initially. Repetition strengthens and confirms...

You also mentioned in another post about too much lube. Most firearms do not require much lube at all, and they require it in just a few critical points. (usually pointed out in most owner's manuals) A brand new firearm though I will run a wee bet wetter than I do after they've gone through a suitable break in for a particular model. Don't worry though about shiny spots developing between the frame and the slide as long as it is smooth, that's just normal break in wear. If however it's rough or galled and metal is being shaved or scraped off, that is abnormal and you should contact the manufacturer for warranty assistance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! Good to see this topic still going.

I went ahead and picked up my ammo yesterday and did some practice loads with my magazine. Holy crap is it hard to load a magazine all the way down. If it weren't for these black tabs that my magazine has that I can use my thumb to push down (funnily enough, my right thumb is much better at this than my left thumb, and yes I'm a righty) I wouldn't be able to get past four rounds in my eight-round magazine. But I am still practicing and so I'm finding my technique for loading without the tab too.

I did load the firearm with rounds in the magazine and learned how to rack the slide back as such. Safety on, thumb away from the trigger, and the barrel pointed away from anything I don't wanna destroy; I think for my first gun it's great to have a manual thumb safety there for added protection. Racking the slide slowly does produce more errors in loading that's for sure. No wonder we're taught to let the gun rack itself once you pull it back. Someone on Youtube said, "Guns are robust; they're made to be handled roughly. If you're not comfortable with that, then you shouldn't be shooting." which I find quite interesting.

I'm all ready for the range I think. What a journey it has been.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
View attachment 145740 On naming cars; I have never named a car but now I think I will name my F150 the Aluminum Falcon. Fans of Star Wars and the comedy show Robot Chicken will get the reference. It is both speedy, and body of aluminum.

On naming firearms, I have only ever named one, and that is the Goober Blaster.
This here 3 inch 44 mag makes a horrendous noise and insane muzzle blast shooting magnum ammo, so I used to take it to the indoor range and when the sideways-shooting, droopy pants crowd is doing something stupid in the next lane over, I can drive them away with a few rounds downrange from out of that hand cannon, hence "Goober Blaster"
Ya....I’ve got a Smith 69 (with the pachmyrs which are comfortable; your grips look great and much better style-wise) and I don’t much shoot it with the full up magnum rounds (due to the short barrel). My favorite load is a .44 Special with 8.2 grains universal under a 245 grain Keith (which is hot for a .44 Special but fine in the magnum).

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Ya....I’ve got a Smith 69 (with the pachmyrs which are comfortable; your grips look great and much better style-wise) and I don’t much shoot it with the full up magnum rounds (due to the short barrel). My favorite load is a .44 Special with 8.2 grains universal under a 245 grain Keith (which is hot for a .44 Special but fine in the magnum).
I have a couple boxes of Winchester silvertip .44 spl for the "goober blaster". Expensive but they were given to me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone! My name is Dario. I'm new to guns, and also this forum. I realized that my house does not have anything to keep my family safe in it, be it an alarm system or even a bat to use in case some intruder breaks in; now I know a gun might be an extreme solution, but honestly, I want to learn how to use one just in case I ever find myself needing to. In the future, I do plan on making interstate travel, so if I can get a concealed weapons permit in my state of Florida, then I would be able to use it in other states that accept it.

But like I said, I'm new to guns and shooting in general. I've looked up some good Youtube videos, but I know nothing beats an in-person training at a dedicated gun range. However, due to this current pandemic, that is most likely out of the question for the time being.

I've bought a handgun, a Smith & Wesson M&P .380 EZ, and I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow. If anyone has any useful resources here on this forum, then I'll be glad to accept it! Thanks, everyone!
Always exercise firearms safety recommendations, read your firearms manual, buy plenty of ammo and practice. The internet has so much to offer. Hi kick 45 is good advice you were given from another member.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Hey everyone, I hope everyone is doing okay here. School is about to start, and I'm definitely doing this semester online haha. Not leaving the house for anything.

I still haven't gotten any range time with my handgun, which worries me. I also haven't come out and said to my parents that I have a handgun, but I think I can warm up my father to the idea if I can show how safe I am being with mine... I just don't know how to start that conversation hmm...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey everyone, I hope everyone is doing okay here. School is about to start, and I'm definitely doing this semester online haha. Not leaving the house for anything.

I still haven't gotten any range time with my handgun, which worries me. I also haven't come out and said to my parents that I have a handgun, but I think I can warm up my father to the idea if I can show how safe I am being with mine... I just don't know how to start that conversation hmm...
Handgunner magazine might be a good idea.

Freedom of the press & all.

Do NOT take me seriously on that, I was making a sarcastic joke.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
If you do not have a lock box for it, yet.
How about....
Dad, I bought this gun and was wandering if you can put this in a safe place for me, till I can get some training, and a lock box for It?
Bout' as responsible and honest as one can get there.
If he says no then at least you know where you stand.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
View attachment 145740 On naming cars; I have never named a car but now I think I will name my F150 the Aluminum Falcon. Fans of Star Wars and the comedy show Robot Chicken will get the reference. It is both speedy, and body of aluminum.

On naming firearms, I have only ever named one, and that is the Goober Blaster.
This here 3 inch 44 mag makes a horrendous noise and insane muzzle blast shooting magnum ammo, so I used to take it to the indoor range and when the sideways-shooting, droopy pants crowd is doing something stupid in the next lane over, I can drive them away with a few rounds downrange from out of that hand cannon, hence "Goober Blaster"
That's good! ROFLMAO!
As for names I had a AMT Backup II in .45ACP that I got cheap and shot for fun that I called "The Noisy Cricket". Mainly because of the .45ACP ammo I loaded for my 1911's I had at the time.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

“Mom and dad, in today’s environment, I’m worried about your safety even here at home. I’m going to get training to learn self defense and home defense.” Once you come to a crossroad of involving firearms, break it to them. “There’s a portion involving firearms, so I’m gonna do that now.”

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
“Mom and dad, in today’s environment, I’m worried about your safety even here at home. I’m going to get training to learn self defense and home defense.” Once you come to a crossroad of involving firearms, break it to them. “There’s a portion involving firearms, so I’m gonna do that now.”
Yesterday night, my dad heard the news about a robbery gone wrong (criminals were shot by a store owner who had a gun) at my local mall. It's a mall we go to often and in fact, he was planning on going earlier in the day but decided not to. It was right next to his favorite store that I know he would have been at that day. I pulled my dad aside and said to him seriously, "we really need something to protect ourselves with" and I said how we can look up firearms if needed, and how to be real safe with them, and to keep it between us if needed. He agreed; I feel like this is my chance to really tell my parents about how to be a responsible gun owner now. He doesn't know I currently have one, but I can always act like I am going to pick it up and then show him it in my room later.

P.S: For the lawyers in Gun&Game, does the store owner have the right to shoot the criminals robbing their store even though their own life wasn't explicitly put in danger? Is protecting property the same as protecting life, at least in the state of Florida? Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! Good to see this topic still going.

I went ahead and picked up my ammo yesterday and did some practice loads with my magazine. Holy crap is it hard to load a magazine all the way down. If it weren't for these black tabs that my magazine has that I can use my thumb to push down (funnily enough, my right thumb is much better at this than my left thumb, and yes I'm a righty) I wouldn't be able to get past four rounds in my eight-round magazine. But I am still practicing and so I'm finding my technique for loading without the tab too.

I did load the firearm with rounds in the magazine and learned how to rack the slide back as such. Safety on, thumb away from the trigger, and the barrel pointed away from anything I don't wanna destroy; I think for my first gun it's great to have a manual thumb safety there for added protection. Racking the slide slowly does produce more errors in loading that's for sure. No wonder we're taught to let the gun rack itself once you pull it back. Someone on Youtube said, "Guns are robust; they're made to be handled roughly. If you're not comfortable with that, then you shouldn't be shooting." which I find quite interesting.

I'm all ready for the range I think. What a journey it has been.
Check out Midway USA and get yourself a Mag loader, saves the thumb from cuts and pain.

I loaded upwards of 12 mags of .45ACP per range session and it saves time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. IMOA, Criminals used something to break the glass cases which could be used on the employees and could be construed as a lethal weapon? To little info in the media as to what transpired.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/776.031
776.031 Use of force in defense of others.—A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
History.—s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1189, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2005-27.

·
Registered
893 Posts
In states with the Castle doctrine which usually extends to your business, you have the right to grab your own property as a thief seeks to carry it away. If during your attempt to safeguard your property or property owned by your company, you become under threat of serious bodily injury, then self defense is your right.

If they are stealing guns, it is more dangerous. There have been many cases where a buyer examined a gun, suddenly produced ammo and left with the loaded gun. It is now very common during private gun sales for the buyer to rob the seller, which is why private sales should be conducted in places like a police department parking lot, under the cameras. You just let them know in advance as many police departments have a designated spot for those transaction.

Like anything else where a shooting occurs if the thief has the guns in hand an is running away, then shooting him in the back is not self defense, it is shooting a thief in the back. Cops cannot shoot fleeing felons, so we cannot either. The iffy part is if they stop and turn around pointing the gun at us, that changes the issue. However, if your bullets enter from the back of a person, and you do not have a video showing him shooting over his shoulder, odds are you are going to be charged.

Your answer then is sure a shop owner can shoot persons stealing guns if they are armed or believed to be armed, and after they have the first gun, they are armed. Just do not shoot any of them in the back and only the ones holding guns, pretty clear when people are running around yelling and breaking things, huh?

It actually happens a lot.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-gun-shop-owner-justified-shooting-burglars-killing-one-da
https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com...killed-by-79-year-old-veteran-business-owner/
Note the comment: "It takes a special kind of stupid to rob a gun store in our town"
And you will like this next one, on video.
https://nypost.com/video/armed-robbers-go-after-gun-store-get-shot-by-owners/
https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news...bbery-suspect-i-had-no-other-choice/379131804
And this one is almost unbelievable. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dead-stupid/

FWIW

161 - 180 of 220 Posts