close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to mausers, help please

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by dman24, Jun 24, 2012.

1. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

I traded for a mauser last night but don't know anyhting about it. On the left side of the receiver it says mauser modelo argentino 1891, manufacture loewe berlin. I looked at online pics but mine has a bent bolt handle unlike anything else I saw. It has had the stock cut and reshaped at some point in its life, but is still a very nice gun. What ammo do these shoot? And also about what are they worth? Any help and input is appreciated.

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

3. CopperniX

CopperniX Forum Fanatic Staff Member

Well a little background would be that it was made in Germany under contract for Argentina. Like chazam said it could be rechambered. Best bet is to bring it to a gunsmith to find out before you try and shoot it.

4. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Good info above.

The rifle you have by description (pictures would be nice) is an Argentine Mauser 1891 which originally was chambered for the 7.65x53 cartridge and it has apparently been 'sporterized'. It was made by the Lowe arsenal located in Germany as has been said.

Since it has been sporterized I agree with Chazam and Coppernix...take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.

The 7.65x53 has a good whallop in the realm of recoil.

I have an Argentine Mauser 1891 Calvary model in 7.65x53. The 1891 was replaced by the 1909/47.

You may have a little trouble putting in back into original shape but the effort would be worth it...it's really a good looking rifle in original shape.

An Argentine Mauser in original condition could fetch up to $400 depending on condition. One that is chopped may get up to $200 if chopped professionally...most likely about $150 though. I almost bought a chopped for $199 but that same week-end found an original at a gun show for a dollar more.

BTW, if it is chambered for the 7.65x53 you can purchase PRVI ammunition from AIMsurplus.com or Libertytreecollectors.com

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  5. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Enthusiast

Fit and finish wise... It's hard to find a rifle that surpasses these German made Argentine rifles. I have one that's all original (crest was ground) and apparently wasn't issued, one of my cleanest rifles. If you can find parts for it and the barrel hasn't been hacked down you should be able to restore it. A restored rifle would probably fetch about 225-250 dollars depending on the condition of the barreled action and the parts used in the restore/rebuild. Originals. as it's been noted earlier, can fetch considerably more.

The 7.65x53 round can be loaded so it performs pretty close to .308 but only in rifles with a 98 action, these 1891 rifles would not be considered safe with a load like that.

6. hounddawg

hounddawg G&G Enthusiast

These are sweet rifles. I killed my first Kudu with one way back in 1980 or so. Right now I have one WITH the crest intact, but the barrel is FUBAR. At some point I will probably rebarrel it, maybe a .308. It's a nice rifle, but I want my guns to be shooters, and a 12" group at 50 yds does not a shooter make.

I have been trying to find a sporterised one without the barrel docked all to hell an' gone, but it seems the first thing Bubba does is lop off 6" off the barrel.

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

As stated above, you have a "sporterized" 91 Mauser chambered for the 7.63x53. These are among the best-built mass-produced rifles EVER built. The round is a very capable cartridge for deer-elk sized game but if you intend to reload for it, be aware that it uses .310-.311 dia. bullets rather than the standard .308 dia.

8. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Enthusiast

Also load it light, these are among some of the first smokeless rifles around. Smokeless powder had only been around for a few years and there is no way they had the Metallurgy down pat yet. So just be careful if you cook up hot loads, make sure you only shoot em in a "Modern" mauser (m98 family).

9. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Enthusiast

I got my first 1891 Argentine back in mid 60s to use deer hunting. It performed quite well for that task. About 5 years ago, had this rifle rebarreled to 257Roberts. Later I'd buy another 91 Argentine in 7.65 Argentine that had been sporterized a long time ago. I suspect this rifle was one imported and sporterized for retail sales back in the late 60's or early 70's. The bent bolt and other changes to what was an original 91 long rifle suggests this. Perhaps you have one of these too.

Anyway, the 91 Argentine by Mauser....made by Lowe and then DMW for Argentina (and Turkey) are rather nicely made. Your ammo for it is the 7.65x53 cartridge....Norma label just says 7.65 Argentine. You might find surplus ammo made in Argentine with SF stamped on the rim, that has 7.65x54 on the box. Don't recommend shooting this SF ammo in your 91....some question as to its quality and perhaps being unsafe for the 91.
    Suggest you might want to order Prvi Partizan ammo in 7.65x53 from perhaps Grafs and Sons....much lower priced than Norma.

If you google the 1891 Argentine rifle, you'll find lots of info on it. You'll probably find lots of debate on what is safe to shoot in the rifle. One of reasons for this is Argentina replaced the 1891 model with the 1909 model mauser....a small ring replaced by a large ring mauser and the 1909 has a stronger action with safety features for gas escape from cartridge case failure the 91 Argentine lacks. Ammo you can buy today was tested/made for the 1909 Argentine rifles and some will question the wisdom of shooting modern made 7.65 Argentine ammo in the 91 Argentine. However, the original 91 Argentine rifle was tested/proofed to pressures ample to handle modern made ammo.

But, if you have the rifle rebarreled and chambered in another cartridge. Gunsmith will probably limit you to cartridge choices of 250 or 300 Savage, 257Roberts, 6.5x55 Swede and 7x55 mauser....all within pressures the action of the 1891 Argentine was made for.

Agree with CptHotpants when reloading the 7.65x53 for the 91 Argy. Keep your reloads closer to start load data than Max load data.

Have fun with your 91

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted