new to me enfield No.1 Mk 3

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by sncstealth, Sep 11, 2010.

1. sncstealth

sncstealth G&G Newbie

so i just got this for a little over 250 and i kinda wanted to know where it came from or what these markengs ment

Attached Files:

• en1.jpg
      en1.jpg
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
    • en2.jpg
      en2.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • en3.jpg
      en3.jpg
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views:
    • en4.jpg
      en4.jpg
      File size:
      68.3 KB
      Views:
    • en5.jpg
      en5.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  2. sncstealth

sncstealth G&G Newbie

and what are the incraments on the sights

3. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

nice looking sporterized enfield. The increments are yardage calibrations.

4. sncstealth

sncstealth G&G Newbie

thank you now to find out where its from and shoot it hopefully it doesnt blow up in my face

5. Check out this website
    Enfield Rifles Page

6. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

well you have a 1944 no1 mk3 with one asterisk the crown is a British mark(proof?) and I think the GR stands for Gurkha rifles But I am no expert on Enfields.

7. Lngstrt

Lngstrt G&G Newbie

Sorry to butt in Sncstealth ....

It is a 1944 No.1 MkIII* (that's 'Mark 3 star'). It is Indian made at the Ishapore Arsenal. The GRI means 'Georgius Rex Imperator'. King George of England was also Emperor of the British Empire ... including India.

The important part (IMPORTANT !!!!!) is the EY mark. EY means emergency use only. Don't know why 'EY' but that's what they used. It was downgraded from front line service for a whole host of possible reasons. It means just what it says ... Emergency Use. If the Japanese (or whoever were the current enemies when it was marked) were at the gates ... then use it but otherwise don't.

For us here in 2010 it means have a good, Enfield knowledgeable smith look it over closely before shooting it. It may be perfectly safe or it may be one round from being a hand grenade.

Sorry to be so doom-y and gloom-y but, better safe than sorry.

8. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

I have two GRI No1 Mk III Enfield. I love them. I am real curious as to what all of those stampings all over the left side of the receiver. They are definetely not original to the rifle. It is a shame someone ditched the wood. I would have to guess the nosecap is gone too. You can find used stocks for these rifles pretty cheap. If she checks out to be in good firing condition I would love to see here sitting in an original stock.

Michael

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. sncstealth

sncstealth G&G Newbie

crappppppp there isnt any gunsmiths around here

10. Lngstrt

Lngstrt G&G Newbie

Yeah ... I feel for you. I mail ordered an Enfield a few years ago and it came in with the EY too. I had paid for the gun and shipping that I couldn't get back and the FFL transfer fee .... I decided to keep it because it is a 1914 Birmingham Small Arms with all the little neat collector parts still there. I just can't shoot it without spending $$ on a gunsmith or two or three .... multiple opinions is a good idea too. The more I learn about these things the more I figure that I would just be paying somebody else to tell me what I think I already know.

It all comes down to money. Like everything else in life.

You should mosey on over to milsurps.com and/or surplusrifle.com and check out their Enfield forums. Gunandgame is a good place but a little light on Enfield stuff. Also, if spending a bit of money doesn't hurt I'm sure you could get a recommendation on a place to send the old girl for an expert examination.

Good Luck

Lngstrt (Ed)

11. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Mk III furniture

Where in this world can you find pretty cheap furniture for a Mk III?

12. Mosin_Mike

Mosin_Mike G&G Addict

I just restored a sporterized mk 1 no3* about 3 months ago, I got my stock from sarco and some small parts from Springfield sporters, they are both online. Wood and parts came out to 97 bucks, and now it looks great.