close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New (to me)Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by DocAitch, Feb 20, 2013.

1. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Enthusiast

Mannlicher guys-tell me about this rifle. I just brought it home today. I have never handled a M-S before , never even seen one up close.
    This one has the 1903? action, rotary magazine and is cal 30-06.
    Its got some rough spots-the triggers and trigger guard have some rust and there are some pits on the barrel , but the wood has only minor dings and bore looks shiny. The double set trigger is scary light.
    I am extremely pleased with this rifle, blemishes and all and can't wait to get to the range
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DocAitch

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

3. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Enthusiast

Thanks. I've narrowed it down to 1956-1964 because of the swept back bolt handle, white line spacer, and wing and side safety, but I have no idea how to tell a high Monte Carlo from a low Monte Carlo stock.
    DocAitch

4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

6. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Pretty rifle, should clean up nice and be the talk of the range.

7. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

8. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I see these from time to time at the gun shows. They are beautiful rifles and smooth actions. Great find and nice looking rifle.

9. Nice rifle doc but I have to ask. How much did you pay for it and how does it shoot?

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Rotary magazine 30.06? I've never ever even heard of one before.

11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

What is the pull on the set triggers?

12. Nakihunter

Nakihunter G&G Newbie

I just joined today. Nice rifle - a 1950s variation of the 1903 action. I had an original 19033333 in 6.5X54 that i sold. I now have a 1930 carbine in 6.5X54 and also a 1910 in 9.5X57 which I am restocking and want to rust blue.

These are incredibly well built rifles and handle like the extension of your body!

13. Looks like an MCA.. Enjoy it, lot of folks think these are the best bolt action rifles in the world.

14. Wild Willie

Wild Willie G&G Regular

Texas

15. Wild Willie

Wild Willie G&G Regular

Texas
    Congrats my friend........MS's once considered the finest rifle on the planet. I grew up around nice guns 'cuz of my dad being a dealer of all things w triggers. finally got my own MS Model 1961 MS Carbine several years ago in 243. These things are works of art. get the right scope and go drive tacks at 250-300 yds.

16. Wild Willie

Wild Willie G&G Regular

Texas
    That looks like the high MC cheek. There's quite a diff just visually between the two types. The low stock is much more swept down and less abrupt from the right side view....my thots.

17. Wild Willie

Wild Willie G&G Regular

Texas
    So I take it that you haven't shot it yet. That set trigger can take you by surprise so be extra cautious at first. I still get flinched by mine. A fly kood make it fire. Ya know those were built for stalking larger game in the bush for instant point/fire results. My carbine has the full length stock and was hard to get used to. Enjoy that thing.