Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mannlicher guys-tell me about this rifle. I just brought it home today. I have never handled a M-S before , never even seen one up close.
This one has the 1903? action, rotary magazine and is cal 30-06.
Its got some rough spots-the triggers and trigger guard have some rust and there are some pits on the barrel , but the wood has only minor dings and bore looks shiny. The double set trigger is scary light.
I am extremely pleased with this rifle, blemishes and all and can't wait to get to the range

DocAitch

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've narrowed it down to 1956-1964 because of the swept back bolt handle, white line spacer, and wing and side safety, but I have no idea how to tell a high Monte Carlo from a low Monte Carlo stock.
DocAitch

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,206 Posts
Nice find!

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Pretty rifle, should clean up nice and be the talk of the range.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I see these from time to time at the gun shows. They are beautiful rifles and smooth actions. Great find and nice looking rifle.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
Nice rifle doc but I have to ask. How much did you pay for it and how does it shoot?

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Rotary magazine 30.06? I've never ever even heard of one before.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,206 Posts
What is the pull on the set triggers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined today. Nice rifle - a 1950s variation of the 1903 action. I had an original 19033333 in 6.5X54 that i sold. I now have a 1930 carbine in 6.5X54 and also a 1910 in 9.5X57 which I am restocking and want to rust blue.

These are incredibly well built rifles and handle like the extension of your body!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mannlicher guys-tell me about this rifle. I just brought it home today. I have never handled a M-S before , never even seen one up close.
This one has the 1903? action, rotary magazine and is cal 30-06.
Its got some rough spots-the triggers and trigger guard have some rust and there are some pits on the barrel , but the wood has only minor dings and bore looks shiny. The double set trigger is scary light.
I am extremely pleased with this rifle, blemishes and all and can't wait to get to the range

DocAitch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats my friend........MS's once considered the finest rifle on the planet. I grew up around nice guns 'cuz of my dad being a dealer of all things w triggers. finally got my own MS Model 1961 MS Carbine several years ago in 243. These things are works of art. get the right scope and go drive tacks at 250-300 yds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks. I've narrowed it down to 1956-1964 because of the swept back bolt handle, white line spacer, and wing and side safety, but I have no idea how to tell a high Monte Carlo from a low Monte Carlo stock.
DocAitch
That looks like the high MC cheek. There's quite a diff just visually between the two types. The low stock is much more swept down and less abrupt from the right side view....my thots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I take it that you haven't shot it yet. That set trigger can take you by surprise so be extra cautious at first. I still get flinched by mine. A fly kood make it fire. Ya know those were built for stalking larger game in the bush for instant point/fire results. My carbine has the full length stock and was hard to get used to. Enjoy that thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts