close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to me Stainless Llama Max-1 1911

Discussion in '1911' started by gsbuickman, Jan 10, 2017.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Hiya Guys ;),

So late yesterday evening I closed a trade deal on this stainless Llama Max-1 .45 1911 that was on our local gun Grapevine. It was way too late to do anything with it last night so I decided to wait until daylight & did a bunch of reading up on it on other gunboards before I crawled in bed.

Well, I just pulled this thing apart and checked everything over and I don't see any excessive tool marks or anything that I've heard others complain about on some of the forums. The slide to frame fit, barrel lockup & barrel bushing is nice and snug, and I really can't find anything wrong with it to complain about.

Compared to other 1911's I've seen, owned and looked at this seems to be fairly well made. Basically the RIA of the 90's even though this may be a 2004 model before they went out of business in 2005. I soaked the bore in Hoppes #9, ran a bore brush thru it a dozen times or so, then I flushed it with some WD & patched it and they came out surprisingly clean. I ran a cotton bore squeegee thru it & the barrel looks real clean with daylight shining down it. Overall this thing's not half bad.

Apparently going by everything I've read about it on the 1911 boards, if you ignore the snobs and read everything else, these seem to be somewhat hit-and-miss but overall they have a fairly good reputation as nice accurate shooters & basically the RIA of the 90's. The company went defunct in 2005 after which the Llama name was picked up by Metro arms in the Philippines where I believe they're still being made. One thing is for certain, if someone was to offer to trade me a 1911 from Metro arms, even though this may be stainless, I'd be all over that like ugly on an ape ...

IMG_20170110_105805.jpg IMG_20170110_105727.jpg IMG_20170110_112424.jpg

blaster, Jaison, White Rook and 2 others like this.
  2. gsbuickman

Oh, it looks like I forgot to mention the trigger on this. I don't know if it came this way or whether or not someone has done a trigger job but I'm guessing it's about 4-4.5 lbs with a clean break. Overall it's almost as good as the trigger on my Israeli Kareen Browning Hi Power.

3. gsbuickman

This kinda sucks, I have a pair of vintage WW2 1911 grips so I thought I'd put them on just to see how they fit. It turns out this won't accept conventional grips because the screws are offset wider on this thing. apparently they used metric measurements on this instead of SAE.

IMG_20170110_175239.jpg
    IMG_20170110_174946.jpg

4. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Some Llamas used parts that were not GI compatable. You may have issues if you ever need parts. As time went on, changes in their models meant changes in parts. It is often difficult to guess what part to order if available, because their models were always changing, and whether the part may be GI compatable. Thus the barrels, extractor, firing pin and stuff may not be easy to get if you ever need to get any.

blaster, Jaison, Cyrano and 1 other person like this.
  5. gsbuickman

Thanks, that's why I generally pass on anything from llama. Apparently the only Parts on this that aren't compatible is the extractor and the grips, everything else is supposed to interchange. I basically picked this up for trading stock because everybody goes Gaga over a stainless 1911.

Jaison likes this.
  6. I have one just like it. I don't know about yours but mine is Nickle Anodized finish not stainless. I love it. Others on here say all kinds of bad things about them but mine functions flawlessly and it is an extremely fine handgun. Hope you enjoy yours.

Jaison and gsbuickman like this.
  7. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Well I did a fast comparison of "Remington M1911 parts and compared the numbers to the Llama Max1 and found few where the numbers were the same. I know a friend had one and though hios parts looked the same, they were not. He could not use say a GI trigger in his.
    Hopefully you won't need parts but if you have a GI pistol, you can always try a test fit. Here aare the links I compared parts numbers
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Llama-33364/Semi-AutoPistols-43295/Max-I-37066.htm?page=2
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/AutoPistols-37891/1911-42888.htm?page=3

gsbuickman likes this.
  8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I have a Llama Model IX-A, an earlier version of the Llama M1911s. There are some differences in the trigger group, but from what I can tell about 90% of the parts are compatible with the US GI M1911A1. One thing that delights me is the fact my IX-A just adores US GI magazines. You will want to try a US magazine out in your Max-1 as soon as you can. If the pistol likes them, this will save you major bucks.

Jaison and gsbuickman like this.
  9. gsbuickman

Thanks guys, from all the threads I've read about this on the M1911 boards, these seem to have a reputation as being surprisingly accurate shooters as much as some people like to trash talk them. I pulled it apart and went through it and I can't find anything worth complaining about. it's put together just as well and it is just as tight as what my Turkish Tisas Zig 1911 was. These will apparently accept any factory 1911 magazine. If this one isn't stainless, the only other thing it could be is hard Chrome, either way it looks pretty nice. unfortunately I don't have any other magazines or shells for it, so I haven't done anything with it yet.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. Jaison

Jaison Fighting for Liberty one post at a time Forum Contributor

Good looking piece, brother. Seems like you made a good deal. Hope she shoots straight. Let us know how she barks for ya!

gsbuickman likes this.
  11. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

CO
    Mine will not function correctly with colt 1911 magazines. It wants Llama or nothing. Otherwise, it works okay. It's never going to win any beauty contests, and the action always feels a little strange to me, but it shoots okay.
    20170111_215907.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    gsbuickman likes this.
  12. gsbuickman

Hiya Guys :) ,
    I picked up a couple magazines & a box of shells for this, I'll have some self defense rounds for it here in about an hour even though I don't plan on carrying this much. The magazine on the left is an Auto-Ordnance magazine and it Chambers and Cycles rounds perfectly so I don't see a problem from this one. The magazine on the right however is from an Argentine 1911 and it doesn't want to cooperate at all. It gets hung up in the Magwell and won't drop free, and when I try to chamber a round from it, it gets jammed. if I hold the magazine release button in awhile a shell is jammed in it and pull the magazine down about an 1/8" it frees the jam the Shell slides in the chamber and the slide snaps closed just as it should normally. I don't think I'm going to get the gremlin worked out of this one.

IMG_20170115_154714.jpg

Jaison likes this.
  13. gsbuickman

I just picked up a couple boxes of critical defense shells for this thing, so I loaded the Llama and Auto-Ordnance magazines up with them to see how well this handles the hp rounds. The rounds from the Llama magazine are a little hesitant and occasionally hang up just before the nose of the rounds can hit the ramp. But if I top the Llama magazine off with 1 fmj round, all 7 rounds seem to load and cycle just fine.

The rounds from the Auto-Ordnance magazine load and cycle perfectly with no problems, go figure. It looks like I might have a little port & polish work to do just to smooth things out a little bit

Edit: the wide mouth hp's from the Llama magazine are getting hung up on the right edge of the chamber at the top of the ramp, rather than sliding straight up the loading ramp and into the chamber. It's not a big deal and a common issue since the 1911 was originally designed for fmj ammo. I'll just port and polish it tomorrow since I have a nice tapered Diamond stone for my Dremel, no biggie.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Jaison likes this.
  14. gsbuickman

Jaison likes this.
  15. Jaison

Jaison Fighting for Liberty one post at a time Forum Contributor

Great post, Buick!

gsbuickman likes this.
  16. gsbuickman

thanks Jason, I ran across it in PDF format so I downloaded it and then did a screenshot of each page. I thought it was kinda look myself

Jaison likes this.