close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to me Winchester model 94 carbine

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by gsbuickman, Dec 18, 2016.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Hiya Guys ;).
    I just pulled off a last-minute trade deal this morning before Christmas, when I let 1 gun go and got 2 in return When I closed escrow. So, I thought I'd introduce you to my new to me, Winchester model 94 annivesary 1894-1994 lever-action carbine chambered in .44 Mag/S&W.

The pics really don't do it justice but the furniture on this thing is beautiful Walnut, the bluing is nice and shiny and the action is tight and smooth as silk. It even came with 95 rounds of big nasty hp's to get me started.

IMG_20161218_142547.jpg IMG_20161218_142440.jpg IMG_20161218_142144.jpg IMG_20161218_150603.jpg

needless to say, I really like this one :) .

2. gsbuickman

BTW, if you're wondering what the other gun I picked up is, it's one of the new Canik Tp9sa's, but I'll get a separate thread posted on that one

3. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Nice!!! Good luck with it

gsbuickman likes this.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Pity about the safety, but I agree that it's a lovely gun.

gsbuickman likes this.
  5. In my opinion the 1894 is the finest rifle ever made. Never came across one that I did not like.

Gun Junkie, PAPA G and gsbuickman like this.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

it's the AE model.
    if you try cast in it they have a large diameter barrel for a 44.
    I make my own jacketed bullets for mine that come in at 4305.[instead of 429]
    I wish I could get them to 431 but the 430 flat and hollow points are accurate enough.
    you should still be able to get a scope mount for it.

and the 94 is NOT the coolest rifle ever the model 92 is.:p

PAPA G and gsbuickman like this.
  7. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I'll dole an opinion. The big bore 1886's are the cats meow. I like the 1894's and 1892's as well as the 1895's. I don't have a lever Winchester that predates 1888. The 1886 is a full rifle .45-90 octagon. Most of my Winchesters are octagon barrels. They're heavier, but I think they look cool.

gsbuickman likes this.
  8. Nice Rifle! You Gotta Love a Lever Gun!

I've got late model 94AE Legacy in .357 with a 24" barrel which is hands down my favorite lever gun to shoot.

Jaison, PAPA G and gsbuickman like this.
  9. gsbuickman

Thanks Guys :).

I've always wanted a genuine Winchester and / or a Henry lever action rifle in something bigger than a.22 . As some of you know I'm primarily a milsurp kind of a guy. I've had a chance to pick up several of them but I always passed because there was a milsurp I just had to have first instead and I never got the chance to get one. Well, since I'm working on rebuilding my collection from scratch after Heidi split, and with hindsight being what hindsight is like, when I was offered the chance to pick this up as part of the trade deal I jumped all over it. Now, I have myself a genuine Winchester, Yes-Siree ;) ...

10. gsbuickman

What about the safety. ?. are you talking about the little black button type safety, if so it apparently doesn't do a **** thing . now on the bottom of the stock there's a little almost hidden button safety the lever has to push in before the hammer will drop, but I can't get the little black button to do a **** thing one way or the other

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  11. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That's a pretty dang beautiful rifle! Just looking at it can't help but bring a smile.

Many happy years with your new babe, brother!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  12. If I remember correctly the added safety on the side of the receiver is a Hammer drop safety, so it should just block the hammer from hitting the firing pin when you pull the trigger. Or in other words it doesn't do a Damned thing except for making your Rifle go Click when it should go Bang unless you engage it as an extra safety when you want to lower the hammer with round in the chamber!

Ten Man and gsbuickman like this.
  13. gsbuickman

Aaaahhhh, Thanks. and you are correct because that's exactly what it appears to be.

EtherialOne likes this.
  14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Congrats on your Winchester 94!

I still have one in .45 Colt that looks just like it, except it doesn't have the Cross Bolt Safety.

gsbuickman likes this.
  15. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

To bad it has the cross bolt safety. Nice cal though.

gsbuickman likes this.
  16. gsbuickman

I don't mind the safety & it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. this actually has a two-stage hammer. If the hammer should fall or slip while cocking it without the trigger being pulled it will fall and stop short of slapping the firing pin. If the trigger should get caught or bumped causing the hammer to fall it will not stop short of slapping the firing pin, it will continue on an extended pivot to slap the firing pin then pull back to its at rest position. what the cross bolt safety does is stop the hammer from continuing on that extended pivot allowing it to slap the firing pin if it should accidentally get caught or snagged causing the hammer to fall. some people may think it's unnecessary, but I don't think it's a bad thing either.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    ChaZam and Jaison like this.
  17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Most of the objection to the CBS on lever guns, is an aesthetic one. Same as the "Keyhole" in the S&W Revolvers.

There are a few complaints thrown in by dummies that missed a good shot, by forgetting to take the safety off before pulling the trigger. One can hardly blame that on the Cross Bolt Safety.

ChaZam and gsbuickman like this.
  18. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

it has the rebounding hammer and 2 piece firing pin.

gsbuickman likes this.
  19. gsbuickman

Ha ha, check it out. this thing is actually smaller than my 30-year old Daisy model 881 variable power lever action pump carbine, now that's funny ;) ...

IMG_20161220_105540.jpg

ChaZam, bobvonb and neophyte like this.
  20. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I sold a .44 to get a .357 version. Wish I had the .44 back. It was a great shooting rifle. I prefer the .44 over the .357

gsbuickman and Ten Man like this.