New to SKS

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by modificationvt, May 10, 2008.

1. modificationvt

modificationvt G&G Newbie

I just want to say hi, I got my first rifle yesterday and the more I have read about it the more I want to learn about it.

I paid $150 for a Norinco SKS, it has a 20.5" barrel, 10 round internal mag, thread on barrel, all milled reciver, all matching numbers, still has cleaning rod and cleaning kit. its only missing the bayonet.

I cant wait to get it to the range tomorrow.

Being new to rifles (well new to guns) this is the first chrome lined barrel I have owned, is there anything I need to know about cleaning it? (or any tips about cleaning the rifle itself)

2. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

First off, welcome!

Second, congratulations, it seems you got a good deal. I clean all my guns with brake parts cleaner, but I'm sure plenty of people here won't think that's the best way. You can probably find a manual on the gun on ebay or gunbroker dirt cheap (i found a manual for my gun for a dollar) in case yours didn't come with it, you can get one to further familiarize yourself with your new toy.

3. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Congrats and welcome to G&G! You'll love that rifle! As for cleaning, it has bee brought up a buncha times, so just look back for a couple pages in the SKS forum, and you should come upon many threads dealing with cleaning! Basically take it down completely and get the cosmoline off and then get the cosmo out of the stock(there are several ways of doing that and they're all well covered both here and in the Mosin Nagant forum). With that done, just give your barrel a good cleaning and that should be about all you need!

4. modificationvt

I just found the seach option... I can be a little slow at times.

5. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

It's alright. it's always a good idea to do a search before you post a thread asking a regular question, because it's probably been asked before.

other than that, this is your Debut post, so don't sweat it.

6. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

You will love the SKS. Just fired my Yugo today at the range, thing is dead-nuts accurate at about 100 yards and beyond and if cleaned properly will be great!

7. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

8. modificationvt

I just got back from the range, AWESOME! by the end of the day I was hitting 10 cans with 10 rounds at 100 yards!! This was the first time I have ever shot a rifle and I got to say, SO FUN! Im sure the sights need a little tweeking, but that can wait until a later date.

9. GlennM

GlennM G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G! Some will say the SKS is as ugly as an Edsel. Others will say it's not accurate. Yet other will say it's the Holy Grail. And opinions is what makes the world go 'round. But for what they cost, and for what you can shoot them for, it's a hard rifle to beat. Just ask anyone who was in 'Nam during Tet if it's a formidable rifle to oppose. Congrats on your deal, and here's hoping you have a great time with her!

10. Hello and welcome to the site and to SKSs.

Word of caution, if you use brake cleaner to clean firearms of cosmoline or other, don't get it on the bluing. It's easier to just use mineral spirits top clean the cosmoline off. Works just the same. Also, after you clean the wood, dry it, then let air dry for a while and then rub boiled linseed oil into the wood. Unless of course you plan on completely refinishing the wood anyhow. Also, don't let the mineral spirits sit on the wood too long and also even after wiping it, don't let it sit too long without doing something to moisturize the wood, or the mineral spirits will dry it out to the point it could crack from being to dry.

11. HI feller ! WELCOME to GUN and GAME and Thanks for Joining.
    You've got a mighty fine SKS and a great deal too.
    See you around the site...A.H

12. Welcome to Gun and Game, Modification! Sounds like you got a great deal! Alot of those Norincos catch a good bit higher price than you paid. Great deal bro, hope to see you around! Have fun, keep safe, and enjoy the forums.

13. 762x39FMJ

762x39FMJ Guest

You got a good deal on that baby! Keep it clean and keep it shooting! You are going to love the SKS. It is like a drug. Once you have one, You have to have more!

Have fun with it and if properly maintained it can be very accurate and will never fail you.

14. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

I can vouch for the SKS's accuracy. Took it out the other day to sight in my new scope and try out the Fiberforce stock, and in 2 shots it was sighted and I was hitting targets out to 150 yards. Beating my non-scoped M44 1 shot to 3 to hit a small target.

15. modificationvt

Im loving my SKS, but I seem to be running into a problem...I want to get a scope on it, just because I'm noticing the iron sights compleetely cover a target at 150+ yards, but it appears that there is more to it than just putting a scope on it...with my SKS being a norinco do I have to change 4 things to US made parts if I want to modify it at all? (from what I can tell from reading laws I cant just put a scope on it and leave the rest stock...)

16. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

17. racdrof

racdrof G&G Newbie

I got a Yugo with a BEC 3-9x42 scope. Came with reciever cover, replaces cover on there now, takes about 5 min. to install, no drilling. Got it from Cheaper than Dirt, model #SCP-014. Do suggest you put a brass deflector on it, which you can get there also. My Yugo has folding stock, with bipod.

18. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

modificationvt, you can put a scope on it without violating the parts law.

19. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

You can put a scope on it at any time and it doesnt violate 922
    Scope it!