close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to the Garand

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by mikefink, Apr 25, 2002.

1. mikefink

mikefink G&G Newbie

I just purchased a 1944 springfield Garand from Orion7. It is one of their "select" models and I can't be happier with it. After hearing all of the stories about being careful with the commercial 30-06 ammo due to the type of powder used because it could cause damage to my rifle, I was wondering where I could find some guidence on reloading for my M1. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

2. What major damage could commercial ammo cause?? I just shot my Garand using Winchester rounds that I bought @ Wal-Mart. I don't think that using quality standard ammo is gonna hurt your rifle. I actually would tend to stay away from reloads with the Garand. I heard that hot loads can cause damage and can ruin your rifle.

Ltcboy

3. The M1 was made to use slower-burning powder than is commercially available. Stick to 150 gr. military-type ammunition.

On the other hand, shooting 8 rounds of commercial ammo once in a while probably won't hurt. Not for a steady diet, though.

4. Rick---

That is what I meant with what I said. I would use regular standard 150grn. commercial ammo. I really dont think that this will hurt the rifle at all.

5. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

What you need to get is a McCann adjustable gas system for your garand,www.Brownells.com has them #100-000-402... $40.00 then you are good to go!