new toys

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shaun, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Well guys I got the buying bug again -- I bought a few more for my collection 2 M48a's from CDNN and I also found a supplier and bought a 1847 Colt Walker Reproduction, its the Uberti so I can easily fire the full charged loads of 60 grains of Black powder behind that lead ball. I should receive the colt repro next week and hopefully the rifles by Sat.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Walker Colt - the original .44 Magnum!

Let us know how it shoots. My little 1860 Army is fun, but I crave one of those big Walkers. :cool:

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

way to go Shaun!!! enjoy them all. the old .44 Walker was supposedly "the most powerful handgun in the world", until the 357 mag came out!!!:nod: :target: :D

4. I have never shot black powder but would like to do so some day. We have a black powder range with a very nice toy store in this area. I have been eyeing the Ruger stainless what a beautiful firearm. I got the chance to see a couple of gents shooting clays with black powder rifles. That was very cool.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I used to have a black powder 1860 Colt reproduction and a .50 cal Hawkin rifle. They were both a "blast" alan!

6. Congrats, Shaun.

I'm not familiar with the Colt Walker but I know you'll enjoy the 48's.

I love shooting mine although, at my age I bruise very easily, I always come home with a black and blue shoulder. Still, to me, it's worth it.

I find mine shoots high at 100 yards which is common for them (and other Mauser types).

I have tried and tried to find a replacement barleycorn front sight to file down for zero but I'm having no luck.

Are they unissued Shaun?

Dang...mine had a ton of cosmoline inside the mag well, chamber area and under the forearm guard, etc.

I completely disassembled it and boiled the metal parts and used charcoal lighter fluid for the wood and it came out great.

I always say a smidgeon of cosmo left on the parts is a good protective coating anyway.

Good luck with all three of them.

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Actually I saw a thing on the history channel a while ago History channel Tales of the gun did a show on the Walker -- the historian said it was considered the most powerful until the 454 Casull came into being since it was originally designed for 60grains of black powder the gun was designed to drop a horse at 100 yards