Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74C41280-C080-4CB9-ADEE-BE5C5764F6B3.jpeg 403AE1EA-28C5-4280-986D-048B30165497.jpeg 7B31743D-C8F4-4105-B084-5B1D41DC9CB6.jpeg C8BDE342-1D20-4D1D-8513-CE57609C934F.jpeg Ive always wanted a Model 10. Finally talked my self into it. Sticking to used gun budget and normally overpaying going that route, I got one into the new shop.

Very good mechanical condition 10-8. I did get the pencil scribe edition. Hey, beauty isn’t everything, right?

Cleaned it up a bit, it was actually very clean. Spent some time working the markings on the barrel out. Took some 600 grit paper, oil and a lot of patience. Degreased it, warmed it up and hit it with some 44-40 blue.

My buddy called me out on a quite not so perfect job. That said, it matches the rest of the gun. Would look silly with a perfect barrel and some wear on the rest of it.

Finally the grips. I love those old wood grips, but arthritis, not so much. A nice Pachmayer make it comfortable to hold. Tried a Houge, it was just too much and the rubber was real grippy on material.

Next step will be to get it to the range. I’m sure it will shoot well. It just has that feel to it.

I will get some side plate replacement screws. Thanks bubba.

Overall, pretty happy with it. Finally in the S&W club. Only took most of my adult life.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Hard to tell for sure, but it sure looks like you did a good job working out that horrendous electro penciling.

Nice pistol. I love the old smiths.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Oh yeah, that's a great improvement. I'm glad you were able to clean it up so well.

I'm not clear on what those electro pencil markings signified, but they sure were ugly.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The right side had “Hosp Kit” on the side. A good friend of mine is a CO, he seems to think it may have been a gun that was signed out for when an inmate needed to be transported to the hospital. Just a wild guess on his part.

Yeah, my heart sank when I seen the engraving on both sides of the barrel.

I can only take part credit. The metal is very high quality and was very forgiving to work with

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,269 Posts
Jerry,
Congratulations on the purchase.
You did a fine job on that S&W.
Those are great guns.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought one of those for my daughter when she got out of the Navy. It was one of a couple dozen my LGS had taken in as retired from a security firm. $270 about 6 years ago. I should have bought one for myself, too. Hers is a great shooter.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You did well Doc. Sure your daughter appreciates it!
This one will be wife’s primary. I just can’t get her out enough to feel comfortable with a semi auto qual.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,120 Posts
Have several of the Smith 64s brinks guns. They didn't come with the cool wood grips like yours but had worn hogue-style grips.

The Model 10 is it's blued cousin and yours looks great ! This is the great American Smith K-frame.

The Pachmyrs add a lot IMHO; not as nice as the wood but my Smith 64s and my Smith 69 have them. Very easy to shoot well with them.

Edit: Can't seem to get away from the J-frames for a throw it in a pocket gun when out and about. Here's my model 40. The skinny grip makes it a bit more difficult to shoot well but looks and carries well.

IMG_0159.jpeg

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Have several of the Smith 64s brinks guns. They didn't come with the cool wood grips like yours but had worn hogue-style grips.

The Model 10 is it's blued cousin and yours looks great ! This is the great American Smith K-frame.

The Pachmyrs add a lot IMHO; not as nice as the wood but my Smith 64s and my Smith 69 have them. Very easy to shoot well with them.
God willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll have another or two :)

Nice shooter Tex

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Jerry, Awesome gun! Cut my teeth on M10 and M13 back in the day; I have an NYPD M10 that had a damaged hammer. Judicious grinding and polishing have lead to one of my best shooting revolvers..

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Isn't it amazing how the grips make it look like 2 completely different guns.
The Pach makes it look very purposeful and tactile.

The wood grip is instantly ' click ' Okay hold it right there boys, got a couple questions I need ta ask ya...

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isn't it amazing how the grips make it look like 2 completely different guns.
The Pach makes it look very purposeful and tactile.

The wood grip is instantly ' click ' Okay hold it right there boys, got a couple questions I need ta ask ya...
I checked for hair and blood under the grip when I got it ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
You did well Doc. Sure your daughter appreciates it!
This one will be wife’s primary. I just can’t get her out enough to feel comfortable with a semi auto qual.
My wife has safely carried a Taurus M85 for a long time without feeling much of an urge to shoot any of our semi-autos, but in the last year or so she really started to enjoy the Ruger SR22 and a couple of 9mm DA/SA pistols. That ended a few weeks ago when she had a lapse of finger discipline in the trigger guard and fired off an unintended shot. No harm, but it chilled her to the bone. We're working on it.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife absolutely loves my M9/92 and shoots it very well. she had to think about the decocker recently. Cant have hot gun in limbo status if she needs it. Worse yet, if she managed to decock it then forget to take it back off safe.. It would be workable, but we just don't spend enough time on it. That said, if it were up to me she would be on every trip to the range with me or close to it. Sounds like your wife did good on rule #1.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts