Tags
s&w mod 10
4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Cyrano 
#1 ·
Tan Metal Shotgun Revolver Gun accessory
Brown Metal Musical instrument accessory Material property Wind instrument
Hardwood Black Still life photography Wood stain Revolver
Gun Trigger Hardwood Revolver Gun accessory
Ive always wanted a Model 10. Finally talked my self into it. Sticking to used gun budget and normally overpaying going that route, I got one into the new shop.

Very good mechanical condition 10-8. I did get the pencil scribe edition. Hey, beauty isn’t everything, right?

Cleaned it up a bit, it was actually very clean. Spent some time working the markings on the barrel out. Took some 600 grit paper, oil and a lot of patience. Degreased it, warmed it up and hit it with some 44-40 blue.

My buddy called me out on a quite not so perfect job. That said, it matches the rest of the gun. Would look silly with a perfect barrel and some wear on the rest of it.

Finally the grips. I love those old wood grips, but arthritis, not so much. A nice Pachmayer make it comfortable to hold. Tried a Houge, it was just too much and the rubber was real grippy on material.

Next step will be to get it to the range. I’m sure it will shoot well. It just has that feel to it.

I will get some side plate replacement screws. Thanks bubba.

Overall, pretty happy with it. Finally in the S&W club. Only took most of my adult life.

See less See more
#6 ·
The right side had “Hosp Kit” on the side. A good friend of mine is a CO, he seems to think it may have been a gun that was signed out for when an inmate needed to be transported to the hospital. Just a wild guess on his part.

Yeah, my heart sank when I seen the engraving on both sides of the barrel.

I can only take part credit. The metal is very high quality and was very forgiving to work with

#19 ·
You did well Doc. Sure your daughter appreciates it!
This one will be wife’s primary. I just can’t get her out enough to feel comfortable with a semi auto qual.
My wife has safely carried a Taurus M85 for a long time without feeling much of an urge to shoot any of our semi-autos, but in the last year or so she really started to enjoy the Ruger SR22 and a couple of 9mm DA/SA pistols. That ended a few weeks ago when she had a lapse of finger discipline in the trigger guard and fired off an unintended shot. No harm, but it chilled her to the bone. We're working on it.

#13 ·
Have several of the Smith 64s brinks guns. They didn't come with the cool wood grips like yours but had worn hogue-style grips.

The Model 10 is it's blued cousin and yours looks great ! This is the great American Smith K-frame.

The Pachmyrs add a lot IMHO; not as nice as the wood but my Smith 64s and my Smith 69 have them. Very easy to shoot well with them.

Edit: Can't seem to get away from the J-frames for a throw it in a pocket gun when out and about. Here's my model 40. The skinny grip makes it a bit more difficult to shoot well but looks and carries well.

Gun Firearm Goggles Trigger Gun accessory

#14 · (Edited)
Have several of the Smith 64s brinks guns. They didn't come with the cool wood grips like yours but had worn hogue-style grips.

The Model 10 is it's blued cousin and yours looks great ! This is the great American Smith K-frame.

The Pachmyrs add a lot IMHO; not as nice as the wood but my Smith 64s and my Smith 69 have them. Very easy to shoot well with them.
God willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll have another or two :)

Nice shooter Tex

#20 ·
My wife absolutely loves my M9/92 and shoots it very well. she had to think about the decocker recently. Cant have hot gun in limbo status if she needs it. Worse yet, if she managed to decock it then forget to take it back off safe.. It would be workable, but we just don't spend enough time on it. That said, if it were up to me she would be on every trip to the range with me or close to it. Sounds like your wife did good on rule #1.

#22 ·
Years ago I owned a S&W Military Police .38 it was a great shooter! I regret always having sold it. A few years ago I bought a Model 10 a police department gun, nice smooth etc. On the sad side is that I got it for love of the gun, but my body just cannot handle shooting anything any more. :(

#30 ·
Without getting into details, Her Imperial Majesty's idiot aunt witnessed a violent crime some time ago. As the perp was still on the street even after the arrest warrant was issued, Idiot Aunt came to stay with Uncle Paul until the perp was busted.

However, the perp knows that Idiot Aunt is H.I.M.'s aunt, and that Uncle Paul lives next door to me. He also knows my mundane name, which is sufficiently unusual that I'm not hard to trace, and knows IA shared the same last name as Uncle Paul. Figuring out where she went to ground would not require a lot of skull sweat.

Fortunately, the cops eventually arrested the perp when he appeared in court on an unrelated charge and he is locked up with a bail neither he nor his family can make. If the gods are kind, the courts will convict him of being a dangerous nutjob and lock him up in a maximum security looney bin for a really long time.

I was sufficiently concerned that the perp might show up on our doorsteps that I did two things. First, I took advantage of a holiday sale at the local gun shop to buy a GI ammo box of 12 gauge double-ought buckshot and four inert practice rounds, trained H.I.M. in the use of my Mossberg 500 ex-police cruiser shotgun, and kept it in the bedroom with the action closed on an empty chamber and five rounds of 00 buck in the magazine. This was necessary because of the UnSAFE Act here; I could not take her to the range for some extended practice with "her" pistol, a .32 ACP Ortgies that fits her as naturally as the pistol I chose to keep loaded in its unlocked pistol box does me.

That pistol is one I've written about before: an ex-cop S&W Model 10-5 heavy barrel with custom grips that my gun guru sold me for an absurdly low price because he could tell it was meant for me. The first time I took it to the range with a box of plain vanilla 158 grain .38 Special rounds, I put 12 rounds through it at a target at 10 yards, and then had to change the target because the center of it wasn't there any more. It fits my hand like Michelangelo sculpted it for me. I'm a fair to good pistol shot with most handguns, but with this particular pistol I'm Deadeye Dick.

So when this potential situation reared its ugly head, I picked up a box of Critical Defense +P .38 Special ammo to load in it. You take any edge you can find, and I think a pistol that shoots like it's part of me loaded with serious defense ammo is a pretty good edge to have.

Reactions: FortyXDM and jerry
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.