Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to one and all.
I bought my first Mosin at a gun show over the weekend (1944 M44; laminated stock, refurb with counterbore). I'm still doing a proper job of cleaning it up, but I reload for all my other rifles and I'll want to do the same for this one.
My question is: What are you reloaders out there using for bullets? I haven't yet found any that are specifically for 7.62x54R yet, so there must be some substitution going on.
Second question is: Where are you getting your brass? All I've turned up so far is Norma, which is very expensive. It's actually cheaper to buy Wolf Gold ammo (I got a box at the gun show), and reload its brass than it is to buy raw brass. Are others doing the same thing?
Thanks to all, and I look forward to having fun with this rifle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations on new M44. I would suggest slugging the bore first. I use Hornady 174gr FMJ BT (.3105) and Sierra 174gr Matchking (.311) for long ranges with H4350. On shorter distances and plinking I use Hornady 150gr FMJ BT (.308) and 123 FMJ (.310) with surplus 2230-C powder and "Factory Crimp" the bullets in place.
I got my brass from Grafs & Sons, both Norma and Grafs brand.
Lately I've been pulling bullets from Polish and Czech light ball milsurps and using the bullet and powder on brass cases with non-corrosive primer for use on some rifles that I value more. Polish LB is my favorite milsurp ammo but is hard to find now. Czech Silver Tip is also great but may cause bolt stiffness. But since you're a reloader, you can reduce its load or transfer to brass case. Still good value.
By the way, all my shootings are done on rifles. I'm still to get a carbine and enjoy the "great balls of fire". Goodluck.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The bore on Mosin 7.62 x 54 is .303 Lands and .311 grooves. If you slug it that is what you should measure. 7.62mm is the equivalent of .30 inches so basically one of the varriations of 30 cal. covers this ammo. In this case most charts recommend .310 or .311, and I suppose you could go .312, but since the groove is only .311 you might be streching it.

I have been using Speer 180gr. SP. Flies very accurately (assuming you measure ogive vs. length) and is excellent for hunting. I bought a bunch (500) when Sportsmans put them on sale for $9.95 a box. I use IMR4895 and 43-44gr loads. 43.8gr seems to work best for the 180gr bullet in my M44.

As M39SKY I also have been pulling bullets and powder from MilSurp and they work fine. I load 20-40 rounds occasionally if I want to shoot FMJ.
Have fun with that cannon. It's a great old gun.

P.S. For brass... buy loaded rounds and reuse. It is much cheaper (and easier) than empty brass, and a lot easier to find.

Igman (from AIM) is the least expensive ($8.95), and least consistant factory loads but the brass works great. Winchester is the most expensive with Wolf Gold and Sellier & Bellot in the $10-$12 range.

I install primers with a Lee Auto Prime, and the Igman brass has a slightly deeper primer pocket so primers are recessed and tend to click into place.
I have about 200 rounds of mixed brass for my Mosins that I rotate. Once cleaned and trimmed they all shoot the same.

If you are using Lee, the 7.62 54R has special shell holders (#16) for both the press and Auto Prime. If you buy the full set of dies the shellholder for the press is included ($19.95 from Cabela's).

Picture: Speer 180gr. SP mounted on Igman brass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I shoot the M91/30, Finnish rearsenaed, in a Russian stock. The bore slugs out to .312.

I use the Hornaday .312, and the Sierra .311 bullets. I use mostly 150 grain bullets.

I have some Lapua & Norma brass that I have reloaded for years. I also have some S&B brass and have recently bought 100 rounds of Garf brass.

My die set is a 7.62X54R Lee.

I do most of my shooting from the bench rest and usually get 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 100 yards. A lot depends on me and the day. Some days the targets look as if I used "00 Buck".

Welcome to the board, and enjoy your "new" rifle.

Warning: Russian Cosmoline causes MOSINITAS!. LOL

Nick

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
What he said...

Congratulations on new M44. I would suggest slugging the bore first. I use Hornady 174gr FMJ BT (.3105) and Sierra 174gr Matchking (.311) for long ranges with H4350. On shorter distances and plinking I use Hornady 150gr FMJ BT (.308) and 123 FMJ (.310) with surplus 2230-C powder and "Factory Crimp" the bullets in place.
I got my brass from Grafs & Sons, both Norma and Grafs brand.
Lately I've been pulling bullets from Polish and Czech light ball milsurps and using the bullet and powder on brass cases with non-corrosive primer for use on some rifles that I value more. Polish LB is my favorite milsurp ammo but is hard to find now. Czech Silver Tip is also great but may cause bolt stiffness. But since you're a reloader, you can reduce its load or transfer to brass case. Still good value.
By the way, all my shootings are done on rifles. I'm still to get a carbine and enjoy the "great balls of fire". Goodluck.
Be sure to slug the bore. I'm not a reloader, but I've read that some of those WWII Russian bores vary wildly. If you have a sloppy one, you'll need bigger dia bullets for accuracy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. I will slug the bore, as suggested. Sounds like I'll be able to use the same Hornady bullets I've been using for my Enfields.
That leads to another question: I picked up a box of Wolf Gold 7.62x54 at the same gun show where I bought the rifle (wish now that I'd bought more). This stuff appears to be pretty well-made, and for the price, it makes sense to buy it, shoot it and reload it -- since in addition to being good boxed ammo, it's also a relatively inexpensive source of brass. Can anyone recommend the best mail-order dealer for Wolf Gold? Again, thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all. I will slug the bore.

Seems like everyone's using Lee dies. I have a couple of Lees, but mainly I prefer RCBS. Anyone else using these?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts