New vs Used Guns

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by pcman312, Sep 14, 2010.

1. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

Is there any advantage to getting a new [some gun] over getting a well taken care of used [some gun]? I can see advantages to getting a used one (mainly price), but the only thing I can come up with for getting a new one is that you know that it hasn't been abused by the owner because it hasn't been used.

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you know guns or take someone that does know them,there are a couple advantages to used guns.Mainly they are lower priced and the action is smoothed out.The disadvantage is,if you don't know guns you may be buying someone else,s problems.All the discounts/lower prices won't make up for that if you can't get it fixed and working right.

3. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I buy used for price primarily. I am pretty picky though since I don't like buying other peoples problems. It is a bonus if I can get one old enough to not have the giant warning text scrolled all over the barrel.

The only advantages to buying new are availability and knowing it hasn't been messed with.

4. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

5. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

[some guns] aren't really that reliable new or used. I would suggest getting [this gun] instead. [some guns] used can be found at really great values, but [some guys] can also rip you off if you don't know enough about [that gun]. [some guns] have been known to be way overpriced new so it might be beneficial to buy a [some gun] used from [that guy] that you know takes good care of his [some gun]. Although, a lot of people say that [some gun] works really well as a tomato stake, so if you're looking for a good [tomato stake gun] get one of [those guns].

Sorry... I'm in a really weird mood right now! I have bought all of my guns used except for my CMP Garand, but I wouldn't call that new either. I've only bought guns from people that I know personally and I know they take care of their guns. I guess it really boils down to your comfort level with the sale (quality/condition of the gun, relationship with the seller). It's definitely worth the time to have someone who knows what they are doing (if you don't) take a look at the gun in question. People will say anything to sell their stuff.

6. Actually,

if you spend some time studying what to look for in terms of use and abuse the used gun market is a gold mine always ready to be tapped.

Many people buy a gun, perhaps sight it in, and it sits pretty much unfired until they sell it.

There are often phenominal buys in the magnum rifle market from people who buy more than they can handle. The same holds for the forty four mag revolver market.

I have gotten some great buys during my lifetime.

7. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A number of years ago I was in the market for a .30-06. i was going between a Remington and Browning. I finally settled on the Browning BAR as it came up to my shoulder smoother and my cheeck placement on the stock felt more comfortable. That being said I was ready to order one when I ran across one that was being traded in. The guy was moving to Alaska and wanted a larger caliber. The finish was like new and the bore looked like there wasn't more than a dozen rounds through it. The only thing was it didn't have the BOSS system. But the cost savings almost covered the price of the scope I wanted to put on it. So I bought it. I've not looked back since. I've put a number of different commercial brands as well as reloads through it with no hiccups.... it's a tack driver.

If you're patient and shop around there are good deals on good guns out there. Good luck.

8. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I echo above. Most of what is in my gun safe were purchased off the used gun racks. Took me a while to learn what a good bore looked like and to see through the crud left in the bore by people. (Most shops don't mind if you run a patch down the bore to have a better look.) There are specific things that tell if a gun is taken care of or not. Even then it can be a challenge if the shop or person cleaned the gun up well. The things that I worry about with used guns are things like excessive heat exposure, internal rust, hot loads etc.. The rule I live by with used guns is...when in doubt, don't buy it unless you can get a competent gunsmith to look it over.

All in all I have had good luck with used guns. I like them. But, I have bought a couple of lemons over the years. They didn't stay long in my safe.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    In the case of this 700 I personally think that there isn't a huge risk. There's not a lot that can go wrong with a bolt gun like this. Even if this gun has had a thousand rounds through it, it probably still shoots pretty much like it would have when it was new. If you really like this gun then go for it.

10. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

I'm not sure if I want to get that one, or go with a different one honestly. I want to get a 700 in .223 but I'm having a difficult time justifying the cost right now. Plus, there are so many 700 designs to choose from, I'm not sure if I want that one, or a different one.

11. don5544

don5544 G&G Evangelist

There are a lot of good quality rifles out for sale right now.

There are also some rifles that have been worked over by a well meaning owner or gunsmith that are trash.

I have bought close to twenty used guns, both rifle and pistol. Two of them turned out to be junk.

If you can't pull the trigger or personally inspect it beware. A AK47 with headspace and chamber issues and a S & W 44 mag with timing and trigger issues.

12. sourdough44

sourdough44 G&G Regular

WI
    I just bought a Model 7(Predator) in 243 with less than 20 shots through it, for under $500. It's only a year old too. I have several guns I've owned for years that are NIB or only test fired, not abused. I don't have any problems buying used guns under the right conditions. I usually do most of my Fall & Winter hunting with one or maybe 2 rifles, a shotgun or 2, and my muzzle-loader. I have my favorites & the others wait in reserve. The kids may need a few some day, I may change preferences, or they may become trading fodder.

13. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

an additional advantage is that if you buy a used gun from a trusted seller he can tell you how it functions/shoots etc, and can be assured that you are getting a quality gun.

Of course, when buying from a stranger, the opposite becomes true. You have no assurance that it is in factory condition, or close to it.

14. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

I should remind everyone that my original question was what are the advantages of getting a new [some gun] over getting a used [some gun].

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ I would have to reverse that and say used over new.When reversed the advantage is someone else has already taken the 40% markup beating.If you buy new you still take the markup rap for just walking out the door.Just like cars,only not near as much money.

16. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I buy both used and new. I do prefer new, that way I know how it will be treated, anything wrong will be remedied by the manufacturer. I like mine broken in a certain way and also like knowing how many and what type of ammo has been fired through it. I keep a data book on all new weapons with ballistics, ammo type, # of rounds per ammo type, etc. The advantage is knowing everything about it from day one.

Certain rifles I like are difficult to find new. I like the SKS, but "unissued" ones are scarce out here. I have a well worn, but usable Romy. I don't know what to expect out of it or what unobvious wear it might have. I have a Norinco that is in far better condition (Nearly unissued) and probably had less than 500 rounds through it before I bought it. I prefer the Norinco.

AR:

I'm buying a new AR at the end of the month.
    I live in the PRK so..... Used is between $700 and $1000 from low to high (Quality wise). Is it worth $300 more to get the same (quality wise) rifle new? For me.... Yes. For you, maybe not. I most likely would not buy a used AR.

SKS:

If I could get a NIB Norinco SKS for $375-$450 or a used one for $250 to $325, I'd no doubt buy the NIB. It would be worth it to me as SKS accuracy is directly related to the condition of the rifle. The SKS is just about the only used MilSurp rifle I'll buy. I'd take a "Near unissued or VG" milled, Norinco for $350 any day over a $300-$350 Russian in "fair to good" condition.

Shotgun:

As long as it is safe to use, and functions properly, Used is fine, new is fine.

Handgun:

I would have to shoot it first, if all goes well, Used is fine and prefered.

Lever guns:

If I get to shoot it first, all goes well, Used is fine as long as it isn't overly worn out. Better new.

Bolt Action:

I want new here, unless the used one has been accurized and the paperwork to prove it, and less than 500 rounds through it. At a reduced price, of course. I would also have to shoot it.

I prefer new here because I'm very particular about expectations and can have a new bolt rifle customized before anyone else has the chance to shoot it. To me, the only advantage in a used rifle is the cost and some rifles can only be bought used. I don't mind paying the markup on a new rifle as I RARELY turn loose of, or sell ANY weapon I buy (only happened twice).

But that's just me. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  17. sourdough44

sourdough44 G&G Regular

WI
    I like to buy without a paper trail too.

18. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

As Tex and others alluded to, you need to develop an "eye" for quality used guns. Then you need to figure out what gun you are looking for and what you will use it for. Once you have that narrowed down you can really start picking through them. I would love to find a used but well maintained Sako 338 WinMag as opposed to say a new Savage of the same caliber.

19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I echo what other posters have said. You need to develop the "eye" that lets you spot a good used gun. I also agree that in the heavy calibers (.44 Magnum and up for pistols, .300 WinMag and up for rifles) you can often find real deals because of the 'I bought too much gun and I'm afraid of it' phenomenon.

You have to take as read that any milsurp will have been used, sometimes gently, sometimes hard. The exceptions to this are things like Romanian M44s and CETMEs/G3s on the rifle side, and CZ-82s, Makarovs and CZ-70s on the pistol side. Due to federal regulations the CETME-type rifles have to get new receivers that can't be modified to fire full auto, so the whole gun gets rearsenaled. The Romanian M44s were manufactured just as the Romanian army went over to the SKS, so they were mostly mothballed in new condition. As pistols in ComBloc nations are more badges of office rather than the working tools they are in the United States, while you will see holster wear you aren't going to see much mechanical wear. They mostly rate NRA VG or better for this reason.

Yup, there are definite bargains to be found in the used-gun section of the gun shop. You just have to have the eye for it!

20. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

I`ll go used vs new. Just look at what a pre-64 Winchester (most any cal) is going for. Ask yourself," why is that?"
    Try to find a pre-million Savage 99 in certain cals. There are others(manufacturers) as well that are out of business and their weapons were first rate, so the only way to get one is ..........used.
    Why used? Craftmanship. Quality of material. Collector value. Just plain want an old, weapon with history and character on it`s side.
    Just my opinion..........