close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"NEW" Win. Model 1873 for 2013!

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by Para Cassatt, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Well HOT DARN! It's a start anyway being chambered only in 38/357 initially with a 20" barrel, cresent buttplate and oil finished walnut stock. Pricey though at $1299.99 MSRP but what isn't today?

www.winchester-guns.com

2. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Re 1873 Win.

Thanks for the post Para. My dream has come true. Have felt Winchester severely missed the boat in not reproducing the 1873 40 years ago. Would have made the commemarative editions they made years back more period correct instead of basing those so called collectors editions on the 1894 design. Just wish more calibers were being offered like 44 Mag and 44-40. Hopefully more calibers will be added.

3. Para Cassatt

I think the price is limiting their levergun sales mostly but if the '73 takes off I'm sure they'll add calibers.

4. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Re Win.

Sure hope they do. Am drooling all over the key board when I read the post. That is truly my dream rifle. I think this model will take off despite the price especially with S.A.S.S cowboy shooters. Would love to hold out for one in 44-40 but it will be tough.

5. Para Cassatt

I bet the SASS folks will be eager to see them hit the shelves. A 22LR would be nice too.

Dan22 likes this.
  6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I would be willing to bet actual street prices will be around 850-900 clams. Would be nice if offered in other calibers as well. Not sure why they went with the.357/38 to start with. I know it's a completely different cartridge in a rifle but still in all I could think of better calibers to bring it out in.

7. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Boy You sure made my night with this info Para. Doubt I will get a wink of sleep tonite. LOL Have already ordered catalog.

8. Para Cassatt

It's nice to hear that something is being made without acessary rails and a 6 position stock. Did they show this at the SHOT Show?

9. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Evangelist

Oh.....My.....God! The single greatest American rifle in history is back! I am really wishing I was rich right now!

10. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I do believe it was shown at SHOT SHOW but like most of the big name booths their's was crowded. And honestly since Winchester doesn't make lefthanded rifles I pay very little attention to them anymore.

11. I feel Winchester is shooting itself in the foot

On the undamaged foot we have a really nice rifle in a model/caliber combo that will appeal to many shooters.

On the wounded foot we have Winchester's fascination with high prices.
    Once again Winchester truly opens the door for firms such as Rossi to walk through with a similar gun at a reasonable price.

12. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Come to think of it I forgot about the toggle link action of the 1873 being able to handle the pressure of 44 mag. ammo even with modern steel. Would love to take a deer at short range with this gun. 357 would do alright at close range with the right bullet I suppose.

13. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I would say with a 158gr up to 180gr it should have little trouble taking a deer out to 100yds. I shot my one and only handgun deer with a 6" Model 66 with factory PMC 158gf JSP. Shot was 75yds (paced) and the little buck jumped up in the air and ran no more than 50yds and that was that.

14. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

THat's a beautiful rifle and I'd love to have one, but I didn't pay nearly that much for even my SiG 556.

15. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Yeah Price is pretty steep. Believe ones made by Uberti in Italy are about the same cash. Of course new ones being produced by Miroku in japan. At least the Model 70 made by FN in South Carolina. Heard doing a pretty good job of them.

16. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Now that is the most accurate post in this thread......

17. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

just received the 2013 Win. catalog. The Model 1873 sure looks great with the curved butt plate and high polished receiver but that price is a killer. $1299 is steep as hell. But I"ll tell you I would love to own one. Also producing the Super X pump with hardwood stock in 12 gauge for $399. Nice line of levers including the 1892,1894,1886.

18. Para Cassatt

I think I ordered one but can't say for sure. I may need to go request another.

19. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

If you get two let me know. I will relieve you of one. LOL

20. Para Cassatt

Any 22 LRs in there?

Dan22 likes this.