Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I recently bought some Winchester 94s (since the factory was closing) but I really don't know much (anything) about rifles, and would appreciate it if anyone could help with some very basic questions I have.

The standard caliber, as I understand it, is referred to as 30-30. Other calibers are expressed as numbers such as ".357" or ".45". What does "30-30" mean?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
From what my books say, originally it was known as the .30 Winchester center fire, but was changed to 30-30 to avoid confusion with the .30 Remington which was a Rimless version of the same case, the .30/06, and the 30-40 Krag, which are all very similar at a glance.
Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks-

Thanks, Rich;
Next question: I have a standard 30-30, which was new, but from a gun store display, and so it came without the original box or papers. It has a 20" barrel. Is this a "Ranger"?

Also, what is the range of this rifle?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The range is about 200 yards, hold over. Cartridges like the .30-30, .45-70, etc. have a rainbow trajectory. Not flat like a .223 or .30-06. But in that 200 yards, you'll be holding over alot.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Hard to say..The box should tell which model it is...The standard model came with either a 20 inch or 24 inch barrel, the ranger was 20 inch, as was several other models.
Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Trails End .357 model as well. What would the range be with that rifle? Also, what is the difference between the "Trails End", "Ranger" and "Wrangler" models?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Here is what I have..
Model 94 Ranger...30-30 Win only 20 inch barrel, uncheckered hardwood stock and forearm 6 shot magazine, 6 1/4 lbs.

Model 94 trails end...357 Mag,44-40 WCF(mfg.1998-99),.44 Mag.,or .45 Long Colt. Similar to standard rifle, except has 11 shot tube mag, 20 inch barrel, choice of standard or large loop lever(disc.1998) Cross bolt safety, 6 1/2 lbs.
New in 1997.

Model 94 Wrangler Large Loop....30-30 Win.,44 Mag,or .45 Long Colt(new 1999) cal.16 inch barrel, large loop lever,Uncheckered walnut stock and Forearm, blue finish, open sights,6 lbs.Mfg. 1992-1999

Model 94 Wrangler-.32 Win. Special, Top ejection,only 7,947 mfg. Discontinued...

I hope this helps....
Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Arkansas Hunter.
Here is another question: what does "case-colored" mean in a gun's description?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Olin it's a finishing process...I was watching a hunin show on the outdoor channel and this feller had his brothers old winchester leveraction, after hunting with it, he took it to a famous gun smith who is reknown for his restoration of leveraction rifles.
Well the feller had the case-colored process done to the receiver and lever and what ever else.

Now I know I heard them say case-color hardning so I guess it also helps in preventing wearing out.
The appearence of it looks like you had a very nice blued firearm and pour acid on it and took a popcicle stick and spread it around on the metal
( I sure am struggling to explain somethind I really don't know about)
Believe it or not it looks good and you see it on some western type firearms.
They'll be someone along to better explain what color case is...I got to go catch a Ginny Pig thats loose in my living room, his name is Herbert, I go ask him if he knows what color case is.
Olin wait right here now...A.H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts