New York City: High profile celebrities seeking gun permits on the rise

Discussion in 'Firearm Related News' started by GGReporter, Sep 28, 2010.

1. GGReporter

GGReporter Moderator

J.Lo and her 2 year old twins can rest easy at night: Daddy is packing heat.Singer Marc Anthony is one of dozens of celebs, millionaires and high profile athletes authorized to carry a concealed weapon in the city, records show.And the number of A listers who have guns is growing.

More...

2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Yes, a lot of celebs and VIPs in NYC carry concealed. They can afford to go through the baloney the NYPD requires to get the license. They also enjoy name recognition, which certainly appears to grease the ways for them to get permits Joe and Jane Nooyawka can't. The process for getting a permit in NYC is made as difficult as possible, in my opinion on purpose. Unless you are a law officer, officer of the court or a famous person, it's net to impossible to get a pistol permit quickly in the city.

Law & Order: SVU commented on this years ago. In one episode, Assistant D.A. Alix Cahill was threatened by the Russian Mob. Captain Cragin, head of SVU, called her into his office and laid a Chief's Special on the desk, telling her, "This is my old service pistol. I have friends at One Police Plaza. You say the word, and you'll have your pistol permit this afternoon." But for an ordinary New Yorker, the time period is more on the order of six to eight MONTHS.

killsnapz turned one of our new members on to my favorite gun shop up here. memorex23 came up from Queens and bought himself a Mauser 98K. Scotty and the gang had to lock it up in their safe for six months before his permit to own a rifle finally came in from the NYPD. To say this is a long way past ridiculous is to be polite indeed - but it's what someone who isn't famous or 'connected' can expect if they want to own a gun in that cesspool on the Hudson.

I'd really like to see the reporter who wrote that article on who's packing in New York City do a follow-up and find out how long it took them to get their permits. I'll bet One Police Plaza didn't keep Donald Trump and Dvid Wright hanging any six months to get a concealed-carry permit, the way they kept our member hanging for a rifle permit!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010