close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Yugo SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by .22hustler, Apr 8, 2014.

1. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

My buddy gave me a new,in the box, Yugo SKS. It was bought approx10-15 years ago and has never been fired, let alone cleaned!! He wants me to clean it up, and get it ready for some plinking. I know all about cosmoline and getting it clean,etc,, but it has the grenade launcher attachment on it, and I was reading there's a switch or button you use to put it into single shot mode for the launcher. Where is this button or switch located. I'm still cleaning the bore, receiver, and barrel, so I don't need an answer that fast.. I was just wondering where the heck it is. My son's Norinko of course doesn't have one. Any help or advise is truly appreciated. This rifle is a beauty, not a scratch on the wood or metal anywhere, and the parts I have already cleaned just shine!!!

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You will see the gas cutoff button on the gas block just in front of the top of the gas tube. Press in and move it one way to open the valve for semiauto, move the other way to close for single shot. Sometimes the gas valve body inside is corroded and allows gas leakage, then it short cycles. If this happens, let us know - the fix is simple.

3. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

One of the best places for things SKS:........Google..........yopper john

4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Now you need one of these for it!

[​IMG]

Tack Driver and TheJoker like this.
  5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

When someone gave me the bright idea to scope my SKS, they convinced me that I would get better accuracy by flipping the switch. The black eye I received was incredible.

TheJoker likes this.
  6. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

I need one of those grenade launchers!! I'm going to the Bundy Ranch,lol

7. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That's funny. I have had my SKS scoped for quite a while. I never had a problem. Then, I took my first Appleseed. I brought my SKS. Once they taught me the proper shooting positions, that dang scope started dottin' my eye every two or three shots.

I've got a stock extension and a cheek pad on it now.

8. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

"Proper shooting positions" were the bane of my budding competitive shooting career.
    First was in JROTC. As long as the colonel wasn't in the room I could rack up incredible target scores. He would come back in and tell me I was breathing wrong, standing wrong, closing an eye, or a dozen other things. I was lucky to even hit the right end of the range after I got in the "proper position."

Years later I was shooting skeet at a range, and the range guy watching me was keeping score. I got 97.5 out of a hundred (you only got a half point if it took 2 shots to get the skeet).
    He set me up with the range pro. This guy told me I was standing wrong and that I was always supposed to keep the barrel of my gun in the "ready position" rather than barrel down between shots as I had been doing.
    20 minutes into my "improved" stance my legs were shaking, my knees hurt, my back was sore, my arms were fatigued from holding the shotgun "ready" the whole time, and my range of motion had been so hampered I could no longer hit anything that fired off to the left.
    I had a vaguely similar experience when I took a competitive shooter with me handgun shooting.

Shooting should be a Zen-like experience. The more things I have to worry about the worse I do.

When did doing something well become less important than doing it right? When did the two things become different?

9. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

The only things I worry about when aiming is windage and elevation. Even when using a scope. Simply aiming and shooting a rifle is getting so complicated I begin to think all this stuff was designed to make somebody look smart.