Newb looking for a 1911 holster. What should I look for?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cghildreth, Apr 30, 2008.

1. cghildreth

cghildreth Guest

Hi, I am planning on taking a CHL course this summer after I get done with my final exams. I just ordered myself a Kimber Eclipse Custom 2, and am going to want a holster. I've fired a bunch of different pistols, but have never carried, and I don't think I have ever even worn a holster. I am completely unsure of what to look for. I assume comfiness is going to be somewhat individualized, but do any of y'all have holsters that you like? What styles are good for concealment, but yet still offer quick access and don't make the gun dig in to flesh every time you move around? I'm a bit limited on funds, but at the same time, I don't want a piece of trash either. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Otter

Otter Guest

I used a Strong Convertible for awhile, it can be worn as a shoulder rig, it can be worn on the belt as a cross draw or on the right hip as a forward pull, with the thumb break the pistol can be carried cocked, with the safety off and the thumb break strap under the hammer.

3. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS

Congrats on the kimber. I have the same gun and it is a beautiful piece of work. Sadly i don't know anything about holsters.

4. I suggest a Blackhawk Serpa II in/with the carbon finish...I have this one for my S&W 1911PD and it works quite well. I like the way it locks the firearm in. So if you ever end up in a wrestling match for your firearm, it can't just be pulled out. Also, for me it makes it habit to obviously use my trigger finger to release the firearm but then it also makes it habit to line my finger up with the trigger as it comes out.
    Unless of course you want or are looking for a leather holster?

Another option is the nylon material shoulder rigs they have out there. But again, since you've never carried, you might want something that kind of locks it in, and can't just be taken out. MHO's of course.

Congrats on the purchase.

5. oejeffrey

oejeffrey G&G Newbie

I would have to agree with Glockmeister ( even though he has glock in his name:34: ) that the Blackhawk is definitely the way to go. If you have never carried before then the B.H. will definitely train your finger to stay away from the trigger while pulling the weapon out.
    I have a full size C.D.P. and it rocks....be sure and follow the break in instructions