newbie bugout bag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by KingMusa45, May 16, 2008.

1. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

i'm a newbie putting together bugout bags for myself,fiancee,and our babe. with so much product to choose from i would like to hear from you guys.i'm in good shape and would like a large alice bag with blatter and rings.my fiancee is tall about 5"8 and built like one of those geek godess status so she can handle her own.what gear would be best for our group of three.i sold my best friend on the idea of getting a bag and a plan and i must say i was suprised at how quickly he jumped onboard so at most we will be 4 adults (me,my girl,him,his girl)and babe.take in account i have ammo for my ak47 and 45 and she has 9mm and ammo.we have rout out car or foot.maps comps and all that stuff we just wanna know whats best to carry it in.we start our survival training in two weeks and she is takeing gun shooting and defence lessons soon.also looking to move to a less populated local in six months or so. thanks for input.

2. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

My BOB is basicly my camping/backpacking set up. Water filter,mess kit,food,first aid,knifes,e-tool,shelter,rope, fishing suplies,ect. Its the same that I use when I go to the trails so I know it works and its ready to go all the time. I suggest once you get you bags test them out with several overnight an weekend campouts. That will help you fine tune it to your needs and style.

3. nonanon

nonanon Guest

include a 72-hour kit

Preparedness is a big deal here in Utah, lots of people have a 72-hour kit in the car, a larger kit for home sheltering. I'd be sure you have some plastic sheeting, duct tape, rope, toilet paper, etc, common sense items.

Add some quality 'space blankets', Adventure Medical sells some that are 4-ply instead of 1, reusable and they can be used to make a tent, groundcloth or sleeping bag. They are orange on one side (with printed survival hints) and reflective on the other if you need to attract attention. Most space blankets are junk and often tear on their first use. Shiny side out these will reflect sunlight away from you and keep you or your shelter cooler, though this will attract more attention to you.

Water is really important so add a few water purification tabs and the water filter damage suggests. One that fits into a water bottle may be okay in the short run but you may want a katadyn or something similar. You can use it whenever you camp and aren't sure of the water quality or if you travel to some countries that have lower standards. I've added a UV water purifier just to be safe, use that after you've filtered out the heavier stuff.

The local Costco sells emergency food in buckets, good for 20 years. I've tried some and it's edible, not great but if you let it soak for an hour or so it's not bad either. The shelf life and individual bags sold me on them.

For defense I have a small stun gun, my wife is leery of firearms but I'm working on her. Ideally I'd have a folding stock rifle or an AR-7 survival gun, possibly a Kahr P9 for anything the stun gun wouldn't stop. It looks more and more like a SHTF scenario but I don't want to go overboard. Also get a collapsible baton, great for keeping hungry stray dogs out of your path and lightweight, too.

It sounds like you're going to practice with a map and compass which puts you ahead of 90% of people who are helpless without the sun to guide them and nearly so even then. Once your supplies run out you need a gun for game, fishing tackle for fishing, you can use the rope for some simple traps and other uses.

Put everything you think you'll need in a big backpack and carry it around on your back for a couple of hours. Then take it apart and decide what you really need. Do that a couple of times until what's left is easier to carry for a long distance and all unnecessaries are gone. You can improvise a lot of things with duct tape, rope and plastic sheeting.

4. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

yesterday i got a tobago tac. cargo pack with camel back 3L blatter with bite valve. a tac vest. a couple pairs of 5-11 tac paints.i had most of the stuff for my b.o.b already like books, med pack, water tablets, zip lock of plan char coal, 6 pair of hiking socks,mil spec pancho, 2 magnisiam fire starters, compass, maps,5 extra 30rd mags for yugo, gloves, 2 camping towels, camping tp 3rls, unscented hand sanitizer (kills germs & great for starting fires with wet wood), zip locks in a ziplock (bout fifty), oh yeah everything is in zip locks. got a few more things to get like food packs, blankets, tent, sleeping bag & pad, eye dropper of unscented bleach, and cooking source but i might say f that and just rely on wood i can find. also thinking about a couple pair of under armor tops & bottoms. oh and cook wear, rope & duct tape.

5. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

6. KM45, might I ask where you found it (on internet?) and for how much either way? And any pictures or model numbers? I've been in the market but there's so many styles and kinds out there, I haven't a clue. Thanks in advance.

Ok, you beat my post request of pictures. lol Now the price and where you found it? lol

7. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

my pack is tobago tactical cargo, swanks voodoo series $60, vest same company $85, camelbak maximum gear hotshot 3L $55, 511 tactical khakis $30.
    i bout it at Hodge's mil. surp. in Marietta GA. they have a site and good customer service.

8. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

KM45,

Is this the place you bought your gear?
    hodge_back

How about a link to the page(s) where the gear you bought is listed? ...I'm not able to locate the items you mentioned on their site.

9. fullMetalJack

fullMetalJack G&G Addict

hey buddy, well i went the tactical vest route for my bob. i got a molle condor vest. the condor is the best quality products ive seen for the price.probably a little less than half the cost of blackhawk products. im a big fella so i dont mind packing it to the brim. i have all my magazine puches on the right side front bottom. 3 od green m16 mag pouches i got from my grandpas old field gear duffel bag. thats about the only mag pouches i found that would carry ar10 mags without paying ridiculous amounts for. right above the mag pouches is a gi med kit. on the left side i have one shotgun dump pouch(larger), above that i have 2 mag pouches for my sidearm(colt gi 1911), beside the pistol magazine pouches is a pouch for cleaning kit/field parts for both parts.the vest has these handy dandy loops for a tactical belt. i have a blackhawk tac belt with a leg rig for each side. left leg would be the colt with 3 mags pluse holster. right side is a gi dump pouch used for either saw ammo cans or shotgun shells. whats cool about this is it closes completly and has an elastic entrance for reaching your hand in and out so you dont have shells or what no flying out while on the move.it also has i nice spot for a survival blade(kabar usmc knife). it fits snug.now i commited the front of the vest for shtf firefight, zombie, slaying, carnage. heres the back...... on the back mid i put a condor acu gear bag. has one main big bag pocket, and has three medium size pouches. two on each side and one center. at the very back it has a bladder. below the back pack i have butt pack. one longer pouch and then two on the side. i can store all my survival gear on my back, rations,sleep gear,etc. my shotgun fits snug with a regular two point sling over a space in my pack(mossberg 590, g2led with a tacstar mount) . or if i was treking through backcountry thats not as hostile i would store it inbetween my vest and back sideways. ive got the necessities to get to my safe zone . there i can provide food off the land and water. i didnt post all my gear cause im not yet done but as soon as i get a chance ill give yall some pics. godspeed

10. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

yes sir. i love that place.

hulk vs wolverrine hands down best comic series ever.

yesterday i got to go to the range with vest and pack and got to shoot with them on. i practised quick draw target acquisition and firing my yugo fully extended and it was beautiful. im a lefty with my riffle so pads on both shoulders of vest was of was nice. but since i fire pistols with my right hand the holster set up was perfect. even with my pack on i was very comfy. oh 5-11 tac paints are a must. cargo pockets holds 1 30rd ak mag and what ever else you need. even the regular pockets hold the 30rd mags with no prob. knee pads cusion are great for firing on your knees.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  11. fullMetalJack

fullMetalJack G&G Addict

definently one of the best......

Im a lefty too and its cool when a vest comes with the both shoulder pads. ive gotten a chance to work mine in a little. the butt of the stock sits perfectly. i like practicing with my vest becausetheres a hundred percent chance that id probably be wearing it if i had actually ime for a "grab"

12. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

i hear that.i went to the range today and killed 200 rounds and im going back tomorrow to kill 200 more. in 6 days im going camping, hiking, and shooting for three days i cant wait to see how my gear works out. you should post pics.