k98-1.jpg
k982.png
k983.JPG
k984.JPG
k985.JPG
k986.JPG
k987.JPG
k988.JPG

I`m new to the Mauser........... I just picked up an Turkish 98 8mm I also got some ammo 8mm PWA 7.92x57 170 gr FMJ After looking things over I went to the range to have a little fun well come to find out i couldn`t load the cartridges ... The bolt would not close all the way..... Is there any thing i`m missing ................. do i have an 8mm Mauser ?? now not sure need help please

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
That's pretty much exactly what it looks like when I try to put an 8mm cartridge in my 7mm Mauser. Might mic or slug the bore to see what it says.

Check for a broken case in the chamber too, if you haven't already.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
View attachment 118080 View attachment 118128 View attachment 118130 View attachment 118132 View attachment 118134 View attachment 118136 View attachment 118138 View attachment 118140 View attachment 118142

I`m new to the Mauser........... I just picked up an Turkish 98 8mm I also got some ammo 8mm PWA 7.92x57 170 gr FMJ After looking things over I went to the range to have a little fun well come to find out i couldn`t load the cartridges ... The bolt would not close all the way..... Is there any thing i`m missing ................. do i have an 8mm Mauser ?? now not sure need help please
https://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
did you feed them from the magazine, or try to lay them on the shell carrier and shove them in the chamber?
not feeding them from the magazine will stop you cold every single time.

also a quick way to check if it's an 8mm or 7mm is with a #2 pencil.
7mm won't take one, 8mm will.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
another couple of thoughts just struck me.
that cut out in the stock [on the right side] is for a side safety for a drop in trigger.

this might have been re-barreled for the 7.62X51 [nato] chamber.
the NATO is a lower pressure round than the commercial 308.

either way it appears the bolt is from a different rifle.
this could be a non issue but it could also be your problem.
if the extractor hasn't been fit to the cut in the barrel it will bind and can cause issues like hard closing,, and especially opening of the rifle.
or just plain out stop you from closing the bolt on a round depending on the thickness of the case above the rim.

Reactions: ikesdad

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I can confirm that’s #2 pencil will fit in an 8mm, but not a 7mm.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
But looking at the safety, bolt shroud, bolt handle I don't think it's a model 98 Mauser. View attachment 118224
Looks like my 1893 Spanish 7 Mauser.

ETA - edited for clarity. I should have stated that this is an 1893 Spanish Mauser chambered for 7x57 Mauser.

E6EFE76C-D00C-4B49-B896-4D0FFCE960A8.jpeg 72EEEFCB-B601-4E31-9323-5E5590D8E7CF.jpeg

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
good points ^^^
and many of the 95's were converted into the FR-8's which took the X51 NATO round.

if I had the gun in hand I could figure it out for you in about 3 minutes, over the interweb all we can do is make suggestions on what to look at/for.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
wait a second.
are those LEE molds hanging up back there?

you got this, I know any good bullet caster has some extra cases lying around.

Reactions: cjleete

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
good points ^^^
and many of the 95's were converted into the FR-8's which took the X51 NATO round.

if I had the gun in hand I could figure it out for you in about 3 minutes, over the interweb all we can do is make suggestions on what to look at/for.
So true. That rifle was crudely appointed to another stock. I noted the very long narrow tang mortise and a possible side safety port? This says something about a "Sporter" type of stock. It is impossible to measure a bore dimension with a pencil. The bore should be slugged and Cerro-Safe the chamber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's pretty much exactly what it looks like when I try to put an 8mm cartridge in my 7mm Mauser. Might mic or slug the bore to see what it says.

Check for a broken case in the chamber too, if you haven't already.
ok i slugged the bore and this is what i got .266 +- .001 so what am i looking at surly not a 8mm help please

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
But looking at the safety, bolt shroud, bolt handle I don't think it's a model 98 Mauser. View attachment 118224
Exactly. If that rifle he has pictured up top is the one he is trying to load then it is a small ring action Mauser. It is NOT an 8mm or 8x57. It is either a 7mm or a similar small ring

1 - 20 of 68 Posts