Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a PU scope mount fit on a 91/30 without any drilling or tapping? And tell me why I should spend almost 4 times what I spent on the Mosin for a scope, other than I shoot way better with one than without one. Are there any cheaper scopes and mounts that I don't need to drill or tap?

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Yes, they need to be drilled and tapped for. Whether you want to spend that kind of money is certainly up to you. It won't magically turn a dog into a super rifle, but it'll improve your performance with a good or decent one.

The main reason most guys do it is for the look of authenticity, I'd say.

There are "scout" mounts that will let you replace your rear sight with an extended eye-relief scope (like a pistol scope--you don't have to have your eye up close to focus through it). The advantages are: no permanent alterations to your piece; a much lower price; ability to still use stripper clips instead of thumbing single rounds in under the scope; faster target acquisition. But some people hate the way they look. And others just hate using them, period.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I dont see worth crap anymore but will stick with the open sights ..:werd:

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont see worth crap anymore but will stick with the open sights ..:werd:
That's my problem, and why I want to try a scope. I am sure the gun will shoot better than I can.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Unles your 21 no one probably see's as well as the rifle can shoot LOL:bigeyes:

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Troy is spot on! Authenticity vs. Cost. I bought a sniper, and she shoots pretty good for me. If I wanted to hunt with a 91/30, I'd probably go with the scout rig.
Personally though, I think they are ugly. Sorry guys! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would prefer the side mount as I still want to be able to use stripper clips.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
The scout mounts still allow stripper clips.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The scout mounts still allow stripper clips.
DOH!

Ok, bid on and won a scout mount from ebay. Have to wait till next payday for a scope.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
DOH!
Ok, bid on and won a scout mount from ebay. Have to wait till next payday for a scope.
What kind of mount is it? Some of them have trouble with slippage. If you get one that does, there are threads on here that deal with the problem; let us know and we'll point you to them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts