Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an antique long rifle by my Father-in-Law who is an elderly antique dealer in the Midwest and is giving his family many of his prized possessions. This rifle has one barrel with three openings. The two on top are .38 barrels and the one on the bottom is a large shotgun. All of the barrels are smooth bore. My Father-in-Law bought it at an auction in 1960. His records show it was made by a gunsmith named CT Turner near Kalamazoo, MI in 1835-1840.

Does anyone know of this gunsmith? Has anyone seen a rifle like this before? My Father-in-Law who is very knowledgeable on antique guns told me he's never seen another one like this.

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,246 Posts
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
I have seen a few multi barreled long guns, many are high quality engraved.
If you can post pictures, it will be mighty helpful.

Reactions: Jaison

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Welcome from Nebraska. I sure would like to see a few pictures of your gun.

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,630 Posts
Hello from NC!

I fired up my Google-Foo and found this for you...

TURNER, C. B.— Grand Rapids, Mich, maker of a light weight, three
barrel, combination percussion shotgun-rifle, with under hammer
rifle barrel underneath the side-by-side shotgun barrels, with
single trigger capable of firing all three barrels simultaneously.
https://archive.org/stream/gunmaker00satt/gunmaker00satt_djvu.txt

Your T may in fact be a B. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the makers mark isn't clear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello from NC!

I fired up my Google-Foo and found this for you...

TURNER, C. B.— Grand Rapids, Mich, maker of a light weight, three
barrel, combination percussion shotgun-rifle, with under hammer
rifle barrel underneath the side-by-side shotgun barrels, with
single trigger capable of firing all three barrels simultaneously.
https://archive.org/stream/gunmaker00satt/gunmaker00satt_djvu.txt

Your T may in fact be a B. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the makers mark isn't clear.
Thanks so much. I think you've found the correct gunsmith. I'll take some pictures of the rifle and post them.

·
13,630 Posts
Thanks so much. I think you've found the correct gunsmith. I'll take some pictures of the rifle and post them.
Can't wait to see them. You might want to post them in The Powder Keg forum in their own thread so more people will see them and be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Beautiful gun. I've never seen one like it. Beautiful inlay work. I did notice that one hammer was broken. All barrels look to be substantial. Smooth bore muskets aren't that accurate at distance. Are you planning on keeping it or selling it? Were it in my family, it would be a keeper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful gun. I've never seen one like it. Beautiful inlay work. I did notice that one hammer was broken. All barrels look to be substantial. Smooth bore muskets aren't that accurate at distance. Are you planning on keeping it or selling it? Were it in my family, it would be a keeper.
Good question. My wife says I should sell it. I'm on the fence. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could find a reputable gun appraiser? Should I trust any online appraisers? Since I'm new to this, any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Howdy :) , Welcome to G&G the high desert of Southwest Idaho :) . That's a beautiful old piece of craftsmanship you've got there. I've heard of the old tri barrels, but I've only seen a few pictures and diagrams and never had the opportunity to fondle or Drool on one personally. Come to think about it the only multi Barrel long gun that I've had was a really nice really old SXS shotgun that was made a long long time ago in Europe that I ended up with in a trade deal. It had a lot of fancy engraving and intricate inlays and silver work on it and I still kick myself in the proverbial butt for letting that one go,, but at the time I really needed the $ to get back on my feet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy :) , Welcome to G&G the high desert of Southwest Idaho :) . That's a beautiful old piece of craftsmanship you've got there. I've heard of the old tri barrels, but I've only seen a few pictures and diagrams and never had the opportunity to fondle or Drool on one personally. Come to think about it the only multi Barrel long gun that I've had was a really nice really old SXS shotgun that was made a long long time ago in Europe that I ended up with in a trade deal. It had a lot of fancy engraving and intricate inlays and silver work on it and I still kick myself in the proverbial butt for letting that one go,, but at the time I really needed the $ to get back on my feet.
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I'm really in a quandary about this rifle. My wife wants me to sell it and I'm feeling that it's unique enough to keep it in the family. Plus, it was a gift from my father-in-law who's an antique dealer and he could have sold it himself instead of giving it to me.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I think they'd be selling ice cubes in hell before I'd sell an extremely rare and beautiful piece of work like that, especially with the possible sentimental value and the family attachment that goes with it. I have a sneaky suspicion that if you did sell it you'd probably play hell getting anything remotely close to what it's actually worth out of it, unless you set on it until you find just the right person that appreciates it for what it is because that's just the nature of the Beast with curios and Relics like that. If that were mine I'd run down to the local Homer Depot or Lowe's and pick up some nice white pine and break out the woodworking tools and make myself a nice display box to show iit off in as a wall hanger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they'd be selling ice cubes in hell before I'd sell an extremely rare and beautiful piece of work like that, especially with the possible sentimental value and the family attachment that goes with it. I have a sneaky suspicion that if you did sell it you'd probably play hell getting anything remotely close to what it's actually worth out of it, unless you set on it until you find just the right person that appreciates it for what it is because that's just the nature of the Beast with curios and Relics like that. If that were mine I'd run down to the local Homer Depot or Lowe's and pick up some nice white pine and break out the woodworking tools and make myself a nice display box to show iit off in as a wall hanger.
Thanks. These are pretty much my sentiments as well.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle. Thanks for showing it to us.
I'd have to keep it.

Reactions: PAPA G

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Greetings from Guntucky! Its a shame that your F.I.L.'s daughter does not want it around! Surprised that she wants to ditch Dads wonderful gift! :(

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
hanging on to it also gives you time to do more research.
I have seen a few of the tri-barrel guns.
some in rifled calibers with a shot shell barrel, some in different shot gun chambering's, and some in combination's such as 12ga, 30-30,22lr.

·
13,630 Posts
I think I've got a "work around" for your wife's objections...

Explain to her that you want to keep it for a couple of reasons. It's very valuable, and will only increase in value over time. If something horrible were to happen and you find yourselves in dire financial need, it's an "emergency fund" in case of need.

Other things to mention...college fund for any children you may have. If you have daughters, it's a way to pay for weddings. If one of you becomes critically ill, it could help pay down the bills.

See where I'm going with this thought train? ;)

It may or may not work, but it's worth trying. The other option you've got is to get a good, secure gun safe and lock it up tight. That way it's not out in plain sight and she won't have to see it.

Reactions: PAPA G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hanging on to it also gives you time to do more research.
I have seen a few of the tri-barrel guns.
some in rifled calibers with a shot shell barrel, some in different shot gun chambering's, and some in combination's such as 12ga, 30-30,22lr.
Interesting. Do you know where I could find more information on the history and details of the guns you've mentioned?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts