Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Yugo 5966 SKS as a first rifle to go with my handguns. I have found one in supposedly excellent cond. for $169 from a local shop. Is this a good price, or can I get better at a gun show. Also, has anyone ever ordered anything from Southern Ohio gun. They have good cond 5966 for $99. Is the condition just a stock issue ? Is it true that anything other than the normal 5 round magazine is problematic and should be avoided ?

Thanks for any input, guys.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Yes, usually magazines besides the original ten (not five) round mag are problematic. Besides, you can load it faster with stripper clips than swapping out the awkward detachable mags.

If you can examine the rifle and are pleased with its condition, that's better than ordering anything from an online vendor sight unseen if the economics work out. If you do order from an online source, it will still have to be transferred through the dealer of your choice, so figure about $20 for shipping and $25-50 for a transfer fee (which is entirely reasonable depending on your region - here $25-30 is competitive.) When you add that up, add the condition rating, and add the priviledge of inspecting it in person before the fact, as well as supporting a local gun business, that price doesn't seem too bad at all, IF you are comfortable with it.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Agreed. You always take a bit of a gamble ordering something off line. If the condition looks good, I would say go for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Battle rifle likes to pretend that he knows everything...Long explanations don't mean you're smarter...you're just talkin out your behind:) Short and sweet is better.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I just picked up a Yugo SKS from Aim Surplus that was supposed to be in very good to excellent condition.. $119

After cleaning the huge amount of cosmoline off of it, I couldn't be happier!! A couple small nicks in the stock, but other than that, it's perfect!! Everything was perfect!! The bore is spotless and all the parts showed no wear, whatsoever..

The blueing is very, very good and there's not a single spot of corrosion anywhere..

If it weren't for the fact that I ordered 3 other rifles (2 laminated Mosins and a Ishy A2 Enfield), I'd order 1 or 2 more of the SKS right off the bat.. My credit card said I can't..

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
You'll like the Yugo. Heavier duty and much more of a 'rifle feel' than the lighter Chinese rifles. I love my Yugo so much, I finally sold my Norinco SKS - it was superfluous, since I also have a nice early "Sino-Soviet" model for 'collector value', and my Yugo for more accurate shooting.
My buddy also just got a Yugo M59/66, to round out his collection (incuding a Norinco and earlier M59 Yugo). Being a Garand guy, he favors the heavier M-59/66 too.
They are excellent value for the money!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have always been a skeptic when I see good deals on line, too many things can go wrong. On the other hand, AIM is a very reputible site and you can actually take them for their word, about the only site I'd trust to order a gun from. If you don't have your C&R you are going to end up paying a lot more than you think, so you could go either way. The Yugos are starting to dry up, so get one no matter from where, just make sure that you get yourself a nice rifle and you'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys. I picked one up at a show this weekend for $99. Everything looks okay. I'm going to try to take it apart and cleant it tonight before I hit the range Tues.

Todd

·
Registered
127 Posts
The last post made by "me" wasn't me at all...but rather my roommate who was surfing this forum on my computer. I apoligize and he is being punished( I hid his T.V. remote drank all his beer) Sorry BattleRG3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts