Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be attempting some deer hunting this year if I can get some time to do the hunters safety class. I have decided, because of various NC laws, that the shotgun will be coming along for the hunt this year (I can't do tree stands and if I understand the laws correctly you can be on the ground with a shotgun but not with a rifle. Is this correct NC people?).

So here's my stupid questions about the shotgun. I've been told using a slug is the way to go.

1. My shotgun is a Benelli Super Nova with a 26" barrel. I know you can't do slugs with the chokes in and I'd need a cylinder choke instead. But... someone told me the length of the barrel could be a problem also. Is that true, or can I shoot rifled slugs out of this shotgun? If I can, what slugs do you reccomend for deer?

2. Is my life going to be really difficult with just that hi-viz sight on the front? I'd rather not change the sights as I use this shotgun more for skeet than anything else and those sights are perfect. I also really don't want to go through the trouble of getting the shotgun drilled and tapped for a scope. So I'm just curious.

3. What else do I need to know about deer hunting with a shotgun?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rifled barrel for slugs-thats what I use Moss 500/combo. I don't know what happens shooting a slug out of a smooth bore, but I doubt it works like you want it to.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Get some remington sluggers, they are rifled sugs and should do just fine. You can not use a tight choke as you stated. I use them all the time with a 28" barrel on my 1200 pump with no problem. Just shoot several and get to know where they are hitting with the sights that you have on the gun. Allow some time between shots to let the barrel cool down some or your shots will start to fall off as the barrel expands.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Slug technology has come a long way in the last few years, with various sabots and rifled slugs. Getting a rigled barrel just for slugs would be the best choice, but even through a smooth bore you should be good to at least 75 yards, maybe more.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You're right about NC law I'm pretty sure. To hunt with a rifle, you must be at least 3 feet from the ground.

The only trouble I see with shooting slugs from a long barrel is simple. A shot gun slug is slow. As it is traveling through the barrel, the gun is recoiling and the muzzle is climbing. By the time the slug exits the muzzle, it has raised just enough to alter your point of impact at around 50 yards by 6" high. Generally, this is the norm for short barrelled shot guns. So I assume with your barrel, taking longer for the slug to travel its length, will cause the point of impact to be higher.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
All true above. Back in the "day" people used to grab the 'ole bird gun and hit the wood patch and come back with venison. Iv'e run the gambit on this and come back to finding that using a slug barrell intended for the job, be it smoothbore or rifled is more rewarding overall on the experience level. Here are a couple of interesting reads I dug up for you.
Shotgun Slugs
Are You Using the Right Slug for Your Shotgun?
Is it safe to shoot a slug in a shotgun that has a screw-in choke?
my rig: 870 Wingmaster, smoothbore slug bbl with fire sights and 4x scope. This is a 75 yard group. I use foster slugs for economy (lots of practice). Shots are not typicaly beyond 75-80 yards.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
read the links jerry has provided. they give some good info. shooting slugs through a choked barrel is not neccesarily bad, some people find that a little choke will often improve accuracy over a cylinder bore. i dont like the idea of shooting slugs through anything tighter than a modified choke. in my opinion, an improved cylinder choke would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you could also get a rifled choke for your shotgun and see how that shoots. or you can try and find a rifled slug barrle for it. B-sqaure makes a scope mount that requires no drilling or tapping. so if you go with a rifled choke you could try one of those with a red-dot sight or a low power scope. but a rifled slug barrle would be your best bet.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I've never had the oppertunity to hunt N.C., I suppose the terrian varies a lot more than here in South Louisiana. but for deer hunting in thick cover at short range 25-40 yds.; buckshot is the way we do it down here. Most of those I hunt with who use shotguns use double 0 buck shot.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Iv'e had some situations where Buck would have been great Cy. Unfortunately people gotta check the durned regulations, were not allowed to use it.

ya'll hunt off horse back down yonder too?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I gotta agree with Cyrille most folks in the past in my life time used DBL. AUT Buck shot.
I had to hunt one year with my Rem Wingmaster that has a 30" barrell and full choke due to not haveing time that year to check the zero on my rifles.
I called a locale gun smith and he siad shoot #1's in it.
I swear I shot a nice Buck at 62 yards that went done in his tracks and went on to harvest one more with #1's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sucklead,
While you did not mention which sector of NC in which you live, I also am a resident of NC and maybe can give you a helping hand. The subject of rifles on the ground, shotguns in a tree, etc. is covered under the "Local Laws" section of the Regulations Digest issued by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. Within this publication you can find general laws pertaining to seasons, limites and so forth, but the Local Laws section will advise if one must hunt from a tree, on the ground, from either...well, you get the picture. This is printed in a county-by-county manner near the end of the digest. If you do not have a copy of the digest, go to the websight Welcome to N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission then click on regulations tab and you can download the entire booklet from there.
Now for the shotgun thing. My own rig is a fixed modified choke Mossberg 500 with a set of Tru-Glo fiber optic sights that simply clip onto the barrel rib. I shoot plain jane Winchester 2 3/4" Foster style 1 ounce slugs and am able to put 5 slugs through a 10" by 10" target at 100 yards. While I wouldn't want to chance wounding a deer at this range, anything out to 75 yards is toast. This load also compares with the old 45/70 400 grain lead load and will slay any deer on 2 or more feet. One precaution, if you decide to try this load, and sight in at 100 yards, you'll probably get about a 6 inch rise at 50 yards. Just keep that in mind.

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones."-John Denver

:banghead:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go to ncwildlife.org and look for the "Regulations" tab. Download the digest and at the end is a county by county breakdown of local laws. This may help you decide if you must use a shotgun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SuperNova Slug

Not sure if this has been addressed, forgive me for being impatient and not reading all the posts, but You can buy a slug barrel for the super nova- i have one (super nova)- use it for turkey- but as you probably know, very easy to take a part the barrel. They make a slug barrel that will slide right in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SuperNova Slug

not sure if this was mentioned... but benelli makes a slug barrel for the supernova as well. that would be your easiest fix...

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
SL get that slug barrel and then hit the range with a few rounds of several brands/types of slugs and engage in a wee bit of shot placement tests with each and find out which your shotgun prefers, a point of fact is there are differences in ballistic characteristics from a shotgun you'll need to address. Range time and careful observation are your best tools to understand these. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Benelli Super Nova Slug Barrels

I am an owner of a Super Nova, and for over a year have been looking for a rifled slug barrel (cantilevered, preferrably in Advantage Timber to match the rest of the gun). I noted a couple of you mentioned you actually owned a Benelli Slug Barrel--any advise/contact info on where to get one?

Deer season is getting close in South Texas and I'm anxious to get one before then and get it sighted in.

Thanks,

RJR

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am an owner of a Super Nova, and for over a year have been looking for a rifled slug barrel (cantilevered, preferrably in Advantage Timber to match the rest of the gun). I noted a couple of you mentioned you actually owned a Benelli Slug Barrel--any advise/contact info on where to get one?
Deer season is getting close in South Texas and I'm anxious to get one before then and get it sighted in.
Thanks,
RJR
I'm probably going to end up calling the local Benelli rep here. If you'd like I can pass on prices, but you'll have to ask your local dealer to call their rep, too. I'm looking for it in Advantage Timber also. If I remember to call him on Friday (or have the time to) I'll let you know the NC price for it from them. It should be something to go by, anyway. Only other thing I can think of is GunBroker and GunsAmerica.

Sucklead,
While you did not mention which sector of NC in which you live, I also am a resident of NC and maybe can give you a helping hand. The subject of rifles on the ground, shotguns in a tree, etc. is covered under the "Local Laws" section of the Regulations Digest issued by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. Within this publication you can find general laws pertaining to seasons, limites and so forth, but the Local Laws section will advise if one must hunt from a tree, on the ground, from either...well, you get the picture. This is printed in a county-by-county manner near the end of the digest. If you do not have a copy of the digest, go to the websight Welcome to N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission then click on regulations tab and you can download the entire booklet from there.
Now for the shotgun thing. My own rig is a fixed modified choke Mossberg 500 with a set of Tru-Glo fiber optic sights that simply clip onto the barrel rib. I shoot plain jane Winchester 2 3/4" Foster style 1 ounce slugs and am able to put 5 slugs through a 10" by 10" target at 100 yards. While I wouldn't want to chance wounding a deer at this range, anything out to 75 yards is toast. This load also compares with the old 45/70 400 grain lead load and will slay any deer on 2 or more feet. One precaution, if you decide to try this load, and sight in at 100 yards, you'll probably get about a 6 inch rise at 50 yards. Just keep that in mind.
"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones."-John Denver
:banghead:
I'm in Wake County, but not sure if that is where I will end up hunting. I've had two invites to use land, one is in Wake and the other is in some small town I've never heard of before that I do not think is in Wake but not sure. I'll probably be calling them up sometime next week for info on the hunters safety course, too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the 2007 cabelas shooting catolg has 12 gauge cantilever slug barrels for the nover and super nova. $219.99 for matte and $259.99 for realtree hardwoods.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts