Next Project--96/.257 Roberts

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by matt760, Feb 28, 2014.

1. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

I've got a 96 action that needs some parts attached to it to make it useful. Probably within the next couple months I'll have enough $ leftover to gather the needed materials to complete this build.

Here's what I'm looking at. Obviously, it's a budget build to a degree. Looks like altogether with the cost of the receiver/bolt, I can be built, ready to shoot for under $400. I'm looking to build a .257 Roberts.

Boyds' Prairie Hunter Rifle Stock Mauser 93 95 96 Small Ring Walnut

Timney Buehler-Style Low-Swing Safety Mauser 93 96 Blue

Bold Premium Rifle Trigger Mauser 94 96 without Side Safety 2 to 4 lb

Green Mountain Barrel Mauser Series 2 257 Roberts F14 Contour 1 10

What's your input on these items? Any better suggestions out there or better prices on the same items? This isn't supposed to be a competition benchrest piece or anything special, just a basic hunting/range rifle.

2. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Evangelist

Unless you already have them be sure to get some headspace gauges

3. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Going to be doing a similar build on a 98 Mauser action in 6.5 Swede sometime this year. Haven't decided on a stock yet altho I have a couple nice old aged stock blanks and I'd like to have one machined into a semi inlet. I've used several boyds semi-inletted stocks and have been happy with them. Are you going to finish ream the chamber yourself or have a smith do it? Have fun with the build. JR

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

I will rent a chamber reamer and headspace gauges when the time comes. I'll probably get them from 4D, I've had good dealings with them in the past.

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

if it were me, i'd get a trigger with side safety, and a blank bolt shroud. im not a buig fan of the beuller side swing. other than that sounds like a good project, keeping in mind to use standard 257bob loads, and not the +p ones.

6. jwrauch

I've used Buelers and Dayton traister MarkIII low scope safeties on Mausers with good results. I like the fact that they both block the firing pin as opposed to just locking the trigger and are therefore a "safer" safety. They do require some attention to get them to work properly though. JR

7. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

same here jr. I like the operation of the side safety but feel more confident in the firing pin blocking style.
    As for the +p loads lefty i plan to stay away from them. I debated between the 257 and 25-06 and decided the extra couple hundred fps were unnecesary for my purposes. Why try to make a 257 into a 25-06 when i could just build the 06 on a large ring later.

8. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Enthusiast

Your choices for a low cost build seems OK to me. Have a couple of 257R rifles built on small ring mauser and one on a large ring 98 mauser action. All have a Midway A&B barrel. Don't know if Green Mountain made the A&B barrels, but all of my A&B barreled rifles shoot pretty decent. While none are the proverbial one hole shooters for me, with the right reload, can shoot one inch or less groups at 100 yds. Don't think Midway has a Green Mountain small ring barrel in the F34 contour, but recommend this heavier barrel for your build. By the way, also own a Ruger Hawkeye in 257R. As you can probably guess, I do enjoy shooting a 257R rifle.

9. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Well, I had all these parts in my cart at Midway waiting til I have the funds. Got an email today saying the barrel was on clearance with 1 left in stock, and an email the other day for $15 off $100 or more...so these parts (except for the safety) should be here sometime next week. I've seen some of these same safeties on GB for $20, so I'll pick one up there when the time comes.

10. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Got my parts yesterday. Tried to screw the barrel into the action and no go.
    It screws in a thread or 2 and gets really tight. Didn't have time to really look into it. Does anyone have any ideas? All the small rings are the same thread, right? It wasn't cross threading. Anybody ever dealt with a rec that was pinched so bad a barrel wouldn't screw in?

11. jwrauch

Sometimes you need to use a special die on the barrel and a tap in the receiver to true the threads as many times there are small enough differences in manufacture, especially with old receivers that were manufactured around 1oo yrs ago or so. Brounells sells them and possibly Midway. I know I've had to use them. JOHN

12. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

I have an M48 rec that the threads were a little buggered on. I was renting chamber reamers from 4D for my 6.5 and got a rec thread tap at the same time. Cleaned them up nice, I don't recall seeing one for a small ring though. I just checked and it threads smooth as butter in a Turk receiver I've got. The 96 receiver has been parkerized or coated with manganese phosphate or whatever the black stuff is. Looking at it again, it looks like it may just be a thick enough coat of that in there to make it just a bit too snug. I'll see if I can find a bore brush or something and clean the threads out and try again.

Just checked 4D. He does indeed have the small ring rec tap.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  13. jwrauch

You will probably need to use one. JR

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted