Gun and Game Forum banner

Night Vision Round Up ~ Gen1,2,3, Digital Thermal and Cascade Compared.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EtherialOne 
#1 ·
Just posted a new video on YouTube, I did side by side comparisons of all the the major generations of Night Vision compared as "apples to apples" as I could along with a couple of tabletop sessions (one for Thermal & Digital and another for Tube type NV) with a lot of info most videos and sites don't talk about.

It's about an hour and a half long, but it's indexed so folks can cherry pick what they are interested in.

Anyway, feel free to peruse it if interested and any feedback good, bad or ugly is welcome!

#2 · (Edited)
I bought gen 3 goggles a few years back to take camping and general walking around the property at night. I looked at all the generations and there is a significant between 1& 3. Gen 4 was just coming into play at the time I was buying so cost of the others were starting come down (still spendy though). I'm sure this applies to rifle optics as well.

I decided to get the gen 3's from ATN as they met my specific needs... The other generations just didn't give me the clarity I was looking for. Night vis can be an expensive purchase, so I recommend actually checking out the performance first to make sure they will meet your needs - - and actually be used instead of collecting dust.

#4 ·
I picked up the FLIR thermal in the video this spring, they are pretty amazing tech with lots of use outside of the Sporting world. We just got one at work that can actually help you find combustible gas leaks in addition to the normal stuff so it's still an evolving technology.

The only thing really limiting it is resolution / detail (at least for us mortals would love to see some of the really high end stuff), but it will get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.