Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an SKS at a gunshow and the show required the chamber to be plastic tied closed or open. I was not able to do a fully inspect it because the chamber was tied shut. When I opened it up the bolt was not there. I went back down, found the guy that sold it to me and he said he would send one to me. Does it need to be a Russian bolt for a Russian gun? Which one would work the best in a Russian made SKS, Yugo? Does it matter that the serial numbers will not match? I really wanted the manufacturing quality that the Russian SKS's are supposed to have, but sometimes bad things happen. I may just return it and take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I don't know about the compatability, but I would return it. There are too many of these things out there to deal with someone like that. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
if you didnt get it really really cheap, i would give it right back! there are literally millions of those guns,dont let this guy pull a fast one.just my 2 cents...

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
I think I might try to pick up a Russian SKS at the next show. I saw two really nice ones last time for like $225.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I paid $275, but there was a scope on it already and it appeared to be in pretty good shape. I saw another one at the show with about the same quality and it ws $350. Both of them had the chambers tied closed. If there are no problems with adding a Chinese or Yugo bolt to it and it shoots good, then I will just keep it.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I think I might try to pick up a Russian SKS at the next show. I saw two really nice ones last time for like $225.
I'd pay that if I could find them around here!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,326 Posts
Next time, try dropping the mag housing open, and take a look up into the receiver - you should be able to see if the bolt is in place.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
DO NOT replace a bolt without checking headspace. It's not just about Russian vs Chinese vs Yugo, it's that every SKS bolt is individually headspaced.

If the headspace is bad, adjusting would be more trouble than it's worth. If you can return it, DO!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Both of them had the chambers tied closed.
I thought the slide or bolt on semi autos were tied in the open, or slightly open so as to show that there is no round in them. On Bolt actions they tend to tied it in the closed position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my SKS, had it for 15 years +. Last four of S/N is 762 so it's a keeper.
one thing to remember about the SKS is the firing pin is free floating and CAN SLAM FIRE WHEN CHARGING THE CHAMBER! so use caution, please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes ive owned my sks for ten years now got mine when i was 8 for $50 from my grandpa never had any trouble with mine yet...

but yes i would return it i got one i can sell if ur anywhere around the northeast oklahoma, northwest arkansas area.. hand painted stock with a tiger running through grass and behind it your looking through a scope with the crosshairs on the tigers forehead the factory wooden stock 3x 30 round clips a scope with mount bayonet and muzzle break for $225 or u can get brand new yugoslavians for like $175... around here anyways

1 - 12 of 12 Posts