close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No go Boom ???????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok took my Turk Mauser out to the range..got it from SOG along with 4 bandolers of ammo ($4 ber 70). Put bullet in chamber pulled triger and NO BOOM....checked round dent in primer...tried 10 rounds none went boom. The Fireing pin appears to be hitting the primer and puts a small dent...clearly a dent but not the deepest Ive seen...In any case not sure if its the ammo or fireing pin. Can the fireing pin be adjusted? Has anyone had any problems with some of the ammo? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.:confused:

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I don't know but my first point would be to check another lot of ammo maybe a trip to wally world for a box of cheap remington might be worth it

3. ddhartma

ddhartma G&G Newbie

You might also check firing pin protrusion. I believe that it should be between .55 and .65. If less, try tearing down the bolt and removing firing pin. Then rolling the firing pin 180 degrees before reinstalling it. You may have to replace the pin. I seen them advertised for $2 - $24 depending on what you want (standard pull weight or custom/heavier weight).

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    1st suspicion would be ammo, next take bolt apart and make sure theres no cosmoline inside it, if the firing pin also looks in good shape try replacing the firing pin spring. good luck

5. ReRide

ReRide G&G Newbie

nebr
    turk no go boom

i agree with lefty check for cosmoline in the body body. could be gumed up to the point it softens the pin fall.
    the two i've got had cosmoline everywhereand lots of it!
    reride

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok dumb ??

Im more of a Mosan person and this is my first Turk...how do you disasemble the bolt....with the mosans there is a few tricks.
    Can you adjust the fireing pin like on Mosans?
    Thak you all for you'r help..I plan to go back out in two weeks....work and schedule conflicts delay the retesting...Ill let you all know if it works.

7. Will

Will G&G Newbie

8. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Thank you cutting touch wold still have been funnn

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Sounds like the striker spring is bad. I replaced mine with a Wolff spring, and can shoot the $4/bandolier ammo all day long. Mine did what yours is doing, only leaving a slight print on the primer. The new spring will smack the hell out of the primers, and they WILL go BOOM!! HTH

10. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Cant hurt...I'll look them up...stupid question...I use mil surplus ammo...so just ask for 8mm mauser...what is the actual calaber..Like Mosans are 7.63x54R.

Thanks

11. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

8mm Mauser is right

12. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Wolf Springs?

Calle Wolf Springs..and they did not have Trukish Specific parts...and could not cross reffrence...
    Ok what is the fireing pin spring (striker spring) part # or what Mauser would I order it for...I have the plain old $40 Turk from SOG...Man I think Im going to stick with Mosans...parts be parts for them..not so difacult.

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Technically, these Mausers are in 7.92X57JS. The "JS" breaks down to "I" for Infantriegewehr (this got b****dised to a J later) and "S" for the Spitzer bullet (.323 diameter bullet replaced the earlier .318 diameter round-nose bullet). We Yanks shortened it all to "8mm Mauser"after the Great War.
    To the Finns, our 7.62X54R's are "7.62X53R". Interesting how designations depend on where you are.

14. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I have several Turks , a couple of which I have never cleaned up , much less fired .

I use solvent to clean the metal , inside and out , including the inside of the bolt .

Use blue spray can of Easy-Off & water fro the wood , followed by 2 week dry , then boiled linseed oil on the wood .

Of those I have cleaned and shot , they all went bang . I recommend the slip on rubber recoil pad , as sold by Wal-Mart , especially with the hot Turk Ammo . :)

15. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Just got off work..orderign the spring on monday..not to worried about the recoil..I shoot Mosans and a 45/70 a lot so cant be much worse..should know is a week or so if it go boom...or with my luck BIG boom and I have a Truksih pistol leanght mauser...:)

16. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Actually the recoil of the Turk long rifle is sharper than .45-70 , mabe a little more than the MN , but the Turk ammo is HOT . Recoil is even more in a lighter rifle , like a K-98 .

I have 3 .45-70's , but I mostly shoot the Marlin .45-70 . I do not have a recoil pad on the TD Springfield ( HEAVY ) , but I do on the Marlin & the Ruger #3 . I am just a wimp . :)

Do you reload for the .45-70 ? PM me , I like to talk about this caliber . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

17. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

no go boom

I'm satisfied this isn't your problem, but thought I'd mention it.
    Are you loading the shells into the mag and then trying to fire them. Or putting one in the chamber and then shutting the bolt?
    The latter way, the ejector is between the firing pin and the shell and probably won't hit it hard enough to fire. Pretty hard to get bolt to lock down this way, but I'd tried this when I first got it and didn't know what I was doing.

18. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

hey bob,i have had some ignition problems w/turk ammo(what year is it-just curious) but only a few.also case splitting is fairly common.as for the kick,i can't say on the turks.i do know that my vz-24 will knock the holy hell out of ya w/turk ammo and i'm used to shooting an m-44,so just be prepared.as a result of this gun i butchered a nerf football,bought a piece of leather and some lacing,and built a strap on recoil pad.

19. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

The slip on rubber recoil pad from Wal-Mart work pretty well . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

20. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I installed the spring...and when Loaded from the magazine..before the new spring would not go boom..even when recocked seveal times...with new spring I ran into the problem..loading a primer only case 1 at a time the fist went click..recocked and got pop...so I think it are fixed.....dang old boss keeps makeing me work so keep missing chances to go to the range..hopfully by friday I can go...Will get a bang or a boom...even if I have to smack each round with a hammer :)...Will let you know...course if I change my handle to 2 finger doglips..then as we say near the cape..Huston we have a problem:)